Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1056124 times)

Reader

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7110 on: February 18, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
Had one with my coworker Friday.  My car was in the shop from Friday morning till today.  I clean one of our accounts at night.  I was scheduled for Friday night.  So I couldn't work.  My coworker, who knew my car was in the shop, wanted me to go to the account on Saturday because I couldn't go Friday night.  I had to remind her that if my car isn't fixed by 6pm Friday I wouldn't have a car all weekend, so it was not possible. 

mmswm

« Reply #7111 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Nearly every person that moves to my area (plus any local teens who haven't come across this info before) eventually has the same brain-hurty conversation. >:D

BG: About an hour from MyTown, out in the middle of a desert, is a nuclear research facility, which is commonly referred to as The Site.  Among the many people who work there are those who are training to serve on Navy nuclear-powered submarines.  So we get some version of the following:

Local: blah, blah, blah Navy guys.
Newcomer: Navy??
Local: Yeah, *short explanation*
Newcomer: Oh, ok.  Wait-- sailors.  Stationed in the middle of a desert.  *sproiinnng*

I think I know where you live, as my brother-in-law was stationed at a site just like that. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7112 on: February 18, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
DS was off school today, so I asked him to make the bean soup for dinner. All he had to do was...

Check the beans for rocks and bad beans
Rinse the beans
Add them to a pot
Add water
Add pork bones
Let them boil, then reduce to simmer

I got home, to find it sitting there, on low, not even simmering. I don't think they ever went to a boil. I don't think we will be having bean soup tonight for dinner.

Amava

« Reply #7113 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
DS was off school today, so I asked him to make the bean soup for dinner. All he had to do was...

Check the beans for rocks and bad beans
Rinse the beans
Add them to a pot
Add water
Add pork bones
Let them boil, then reduce to simmer

I got home, to find it sitting there, on low, not even simmering. I don't think they ever went to a boil. I don't think we will be having bean soup tonight for dinner.

If it's a comfort, it's better than coming home to a pot full of black-burned beans and a kitchen full of smoke that reeks for a week.  ;D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7114 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »
Had one with my coworker Friday.  My car was in the shop from Friday morning till today.  I clean one of our accounts at night.  I was scheduled for Friday night.  So I couldn't work.  My coworker, who knew my car was in the shop, wanted me to go to the account on Saturday because I couldn't go Friday night.  I had to remind her that if my car isn't fixed by 6pm Friday I wouldn't have a car all weekend, so it was not possible.

This hurts my brain. If your car is done on Friday evening, why wouldn't you have a car for Saturday?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7115 on: February 18, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »

To be fair, there are auto shops that are open on the weekend. I only wish more of them were.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

sevenday

« Reply #7116 on: February 18, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
Depends on WHEN it's done on Friday.  If you have no transportation to the place and they're about to close when they call you to tell you the car is done, you don't really have a choice but to let it sit there until they're open again (and of the handful of car repair places near me, only one has Saturday hours).  I've run into that problem before when I had no one available to give me a ride there to pick up the car when they called me at 5:15 - closing time 5:30 - and they're half an hour across town anyway.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7117 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
In my experience, if they're going to finish it that close to closing, they usually tell me in advance, so I can just show up at 5:25, pay the bill, and be on my way. Actually, I have found most places will tell me "Yea, we'll have it done by 5, we close at 5:30." Then they call at 3 and tell me it's done already. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #7118 on: February 18, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
I once had a brain hurt with a boss from many many moons ago.

Basic maths and common sense.

You have space for 3 items but they come in a (smallest) box of 6. 3 go out on the shelf, 3 go to Over Stock (OS) in the ware house.

No matter how often I explained, the Store manager would tell me off each and every week for having OS and when I asked what she wanted me to do?

Wait until my levels are lower before I order. I waited until I had Non left (which she complained about, because of empty shelf space.) but of course come delivery I still had OS.

Finally she told me she would do an order and I had to watch and I better pay attention etc etc. so I did.
I still remember the look on her face when the first order came in  >:D we had so much OS as she had been all high and mighty and no matter how hard I tried to explain that she was ordering 'Units of' not individual lights she would not listen.

So where I was ordering 1(box of 6) because I needed 3, she ordered 3(boxes of 6) because we "only need 3" there were no less than 8 items that had a smiler set up, and where I had 2 left of somethings and would not have ordered she did because "we need 1 more to make 3".

She left me alone after that, I guess my 1/2 a pallet of OS did not look so bad compared to her 4 pallets of OS and me asking her where I was meant to put it as it wouldn't all fit on my shelves out back.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #7119 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
Back on the mechanic thing... I have never known a garage having to be open. I guess that's the confusion for me. You give your credit card # over the phone when they are open and they tell you where they are parking it. You bring a spare key and pick it up whenever you get a ride. No need to interact or have them open for business - cars are routinely left outside of businesses, they are built for it.

Heckling, as often as not the mechanic is closed when I drop off as well. I just park it in their lot, and drop an envelope in their mailslot with my key, and a note with my name, plate #, phone #, and a brief description of the problem.

Addy

« Reply #7120 on: February 18, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »

This hurts my brain. If your car is done on Friday evening, why wouldn't you have a car for Saturday?

Actually, Reader said "if my car isn't fixed by Friday."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7121 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
Back on the mechanic thing... I have never known a garage having to be open. I guess that's the confusion for me. You give your credit card # over the phone when they are open and they tell you where they are parking it. You bring a spare key and pick it up whenever you get a ride. No need to interact or have them open for business - cars are routinely left outside of businesses, they are built for it.

Heckling, as often as not the mechanic is closed when I drop off as well. I just park it in their lot, and drop an envelope in their mailslot with my key, and a note with my name, plate #, phone #, and a brief description of the problem.

The auto shop we go to is cash only.  But they do have Saturday hours.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #7122 on: February 18, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

Actually, Reader said "if my car isn't fixed by Friday."

Oh, duh! That makes much more sense!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7123 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Nearly every person that moves to my area (plus any local teens who haven't come across this info before) eventually has the same brain-hurty conversation. >:D

BG: About an hour from MyTown, out in the middle of a desert, is a nuclear research facility, which is commonly referred to as The Site.  Among the many people who work there are those who are training to serve on Navy nuclear-powered submarines.  So we get some version of the following:

Local: blah, blah, blah Navy guys.
Newcomer: Navy??
Local: Yeah, *short explanation*
Newcomer: Oh, ok.  Wait-- sailors.  Stationed in the middle of a desert.  *sproiinnng*

In San Angelo you had a version of this

Civilian: Why did you move here?

Military/Military Spouse We are stationed at Goodfellow AFB

Civilian: Cool what branch are you/spouse

Sounds brain hurty if you don't know that Goodfellow AFB has Language training for all branches of the military and a few other agencies.

Some other things that hurt our brains until explained by a local

We had NEVER seen so many Hawaii and Alaskan plates on cars - apparently those are considered overseas postings and the military will ship the car as part of moving. (Not Military just what I was told)

Seeing children riding in the back of patrol cars every single day. I'm not talking kids old enough to be arrested (10 and up) but itty bitty things in car seats and boosters. The San Angelo Police Department has at least some of the patrol officers take their cars home*.. They didn't use them for personal business, but were allowed to drop off and pick up their kids on the way to and from work. There was a 24 hour child care center down the street from the police station. If you were in the area  just before or after evening shift changes you would see kids in the PJ's getting out of or into police cars.

*The idea was having visible cop cars out and about especially in certain neighborhood would cut down on crime - also in the case of a citywide  emergency the cops could Dress at home and go directly to were they were needed with all their equipment instead of going to the station and then going to the emergency.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7124 on: February 18, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

My mechanic doesn't allow that. They hand you the keys - I guess they want to be sure that you are the one picking up the car or that if you get into an accident right after you can't say you picked it up that way.