Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1050177 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7155 on: February 22, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
A coworker related this to me today.  She knew a man who would not let his children watch/read The Chronicles of Narnia because he said it involved witchcraft and denounced God.

For those of you who don't know, The Chronicles is a giant affirmation of the Christian God and fully supports those beliefs.

I suspect a slight case of confusion between Lewis / Rowling and Narnia / Hogwarts (not that I perceive the latter as being in any way out to denounce God)...

Gyburc

« Reply #7156 on: February 22, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
It's also possible he is thinking of Philip Pullman, since he's another Oxford writer.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7157 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
I love raw mushrooms, sliced in a salad with spinach, olives and cheese. With a nice dressing. Sorry! I got carried away there. I am still trying to find an occasion that would justify making Pioneer Woman's burgundy mushrooms. They look so delicious!

I've made them.  They. Are. AWESOME!  I must warn you, though, to cook them for the WHOLE 9 hours!  I tasted them at 6 hours, and they were fantastic, but at the 9 hour mark, I wanted to hang out the window and sing their praises.   
Next church pot luck, look out!  (I even asked the pastor and his wife if they were okay with it.)

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Brain Hurt thread.

turtleIScream

« Reply #7158 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »
I just made my own brain hurt.

My sister just called and warned me to stay off the roads, visibility is low and the packed ice under the snow is dangerous. But, we are completely out of milk; I need to get to the store. Since she's already out in this mess, she offered to pick up some milk for me as well. Yay! I got it in my head to thank her by having a nice mug of homemade hot chocolate waiting for her when she got here. It wasn't until I had the saucepan on the stove, ready to dump in the cocoa that I realized the flaw in my plan.

Melle

« Reply #7159 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
It's also possible he is thinking of Philip Pullman, since he's another Oxford writer.

He'd definitely fit the profile, although I always found his books more critical of religious congregations and the Bible than belief or God as such.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7160 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »

He'd definitely fit the profile, although I always found his books more critical of religious congregations and the Bible than belief or God as such.

My brain hurt when I went to see The Golden Compass movie (based on Pullmanís books, not that I knew it. It just looked interesting and vaguely like Narnia, HP, and all the other fantasy family movies), and my step-mom called me a bad Christian for doing so. I was even more confused after I saw the movie, because it didnít really mention anything about religion, and she LOVES Harry Potter and the like.

I finally understood once I read the book a year or so later, but I do agree with Melle about more focusing on organized religion, not necessarily beliefs. My religion aside, I wonder how much I would make my step-momís brain hurt if I told her I preferred it to HP/Narnia, etc.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7161 on: February 22, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »

My brain hurt when I went to see The Golden Compass movie (based on Pullmanís books, not that I knew it. It just looked interesting and vaguely like Narnia, HP, and all the other fantasy family movies), and my step-mom called me a bad Christian for doing so. I was even more confused after I saw the movie, because it didnít really mention anything about religion, and she LOVES Harry Potter and the like.

I finally understood once I read the book a year or so later, but I do agree with Melle about more focusing on organized religion, not necessarily beliefs. My religion aside, I wonder how much I would make my step-momís brain hurt if I told her I preferred it to HP/Narnia, etc.

It's a very bad adaptation.  ;D And the really overt point-making doesn't really start till book three anyway.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #7162 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
A coworker related this to me today.  She knew a man who would not let his children watch/read The Chronicles of Narnia because he said it involved witchcraft and denounced God.

For those of you who don't know, The Chronicles is a giant affirmation of the Christian God and fully supports those beliefs.

I suspect a slight case of confusion between Lewis / Rowling and Narnia / Hogwarts (not that I perceive the latter as being in any way out to denounce God)...

There are lots of people who think any book that includes magic is unchristian, regardless of what happens in the story. 

Carotte

« Reply #7163 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »

--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--

I think the receptionist just had a blank moment. She heard certificate and husband in the same phrase and forgot about the 'pregnancy' part, went on auto-pilot and tryied to book your husband.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7164 on: February 22, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »

C. S. Lewis was a noted apologist for Catholicism.  Perhaps that's why your acquaintance didn't like it.  I wonder what he'd think of 'The Screwtape Letters'.   

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7165 on: February 22, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

C. S. Lewis was a noted apologist for Catholicism.  Perhaps that's why your acquaintance didn't like it.  I wonder what he'd think of 'The Screwtape Letters'.   

That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

Melle

« Reply #7166 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

Hillia

« Reply #7167 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Melle

« Reply #7168 on: February 22, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

Oh! I believe that's what mbbored actually meant. That makes a little more sense to me... but I'll still have to look it up.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7169 on: February 22, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
Google for "Catholic chick tract" if you want a (hilarious, IMHO) rundown of some of the arguments why Catholics secretly worship Baal.