News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2105620 times)

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7140 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »
A coworker related this to me today.  She knew a man who would not let his children watch/read The Chronicles of Narnia because he said it involved witchcraft and denounced God.

For those of you who don't know, The Chronicles is a giant affirmation of the Christian God and fully supports those beliefs.

I suspect a slight case of confusion between Lewis / Rowling and Narnia / Hogwarts (not that I perceive the latter as being in any way out to denounce God)...

There are lots of people who think any book that includes magic is unchristian, regardless of what happens in the story. 

Carotte

« Reply #7141 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--

I think the receptionist just had a blank moment. She heard certificate and husband in the same phrase and forgot about the 'pregnancy' part, went on auto-pilot and tryied to book your husband.

Thipu1

« Reply #7142 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
A coworker related this to me today.  She knew a man who would not let his children watch/read The Chronicles of Narnia because he said it involved witchcraft and denounced God.

For those of you who don't know, The Chronicles is a giant affirmation of the Christian God and fully supports those beliefs.

I suspect a slight case of confusion between Lewis / Rowling and Narnia / Hogwarts (not that I perceive the latter as being in any way out to denounce God)...

C. S. Lewis was a noted apologist for Catholicism.  Perhaps that's why your acquaintance didn't like it.  I wonder what he'd think of 'The Screwtape Letters'.   

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7143 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »

C. S. Lewis was a noted apologist for Catholicism.  Perhaps that's why your acquaintance didn't like it.  I wonder what he'd think of 'The Screwtape Letters'.   

That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

Mal

« Reply #7144 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

Hillia

« Reply #7145 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

Mal

« Reply #7146 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

Oh! I believe that's what mbbored actually meant. That makes a little more sense to me... but I'll still have to look it up.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7147 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »
Google for "Catholic chick tract" if you want a (hilarious, IMHO) rundown of some of the arguments why Catholics secretly worship Baal.

squeakers

« Reply #7148 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
Was just checking my email and DH received one saying "Congratulations, you have successfully registered for registration at "X" Association.  If you have filled in an email address you will be receiving a notification of acceptance of registration." (Paraphrased)

Yeah.. an email telling him he will be getting an email if he supplied an email address. I'll have to check later and see if there is a second email or if that was the email telling him he was registered.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #7149 on: February 22, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »

Oh! I believe that's what mbbored actually meant. That makes a little more sense to me... but I'll still have to look it up.

I've heard both - Catholics saying that Protestants aren't Christian and Protestants saying that Catholics aren't Christian. It's really rather ridiculous and brain-hurty both.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

hjaye

« Reply #7150 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »

When I was in Jr. High School, I hung out with two other kids.   I was Jewish, one friend was Catholic, and my other friend was Protestant.  I used to make reference to Protestants and Christians until my Protestant friend informed me that a Protestant was as much a Christian as a Catholic.  I honestly had no idea I was offending him until he said something

CakeBeret

« Reply #7151 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
My DH made my brain seriously, seriously hurt.

As BG, I rarely let him go grocery shopping. And this is why. He has NO sense of what things cost or how to stay on budget.

On Valentine's Day, we decided to stay in and cook dinner. He called on his way home and said that he would go to the grocery store for supplies. I was busy enough that I didn't stop to think about my "no sending DH to grocery store ever, ever, ever" rule. It was a fairly simple meal, chicken cordon bleu with potatoes and green beans.

I nearly had a coronary when he showed me the receipt. As a point of reference, our grocery budget is $50 per week for 2-3 adults plus a toddler. DH had spent, for one meal, $60. The most expensive chicken breast in the store, name brand everything, and he had decided to get both wine and beer. I could have bought everything except the alcohol for $15 at the very most.

His rationale? "But it's Valentine's Day."

::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7152 on: February 22, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
We spend $400 a month for 3 people, including a teenage boy. DH does not understand that we should have enough juice or milk for a whole week, and if we run out, we have to get more, which eats into our savings.

I buy all of our meat, dairy and eggs at a warehouse club, saves me a lot of money.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Virg

« Reply #7153 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »
StarDrifter wrote:

"--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--"

My brain-hurt in this is my thought that if Dr. Such'n'Such wouldn't know you from Adam, then your DH needs a new doctor posthaste.

Virg

MandiC76

« Reply #7154 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »
StarDrifter wrote:

"--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--"

My brain-hurt in this is my thought that if Dr. Such'n'Such wouldn't know you from Adam, then your DH needs a new doctor posthaste.

Virg

I had to read this 3 times before I got it. Nice one, Virg!

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.