Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1012104 times)

squeakers

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7170 on: February 22, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
Was just checking my email and DH received one saying "Congratulations, you have successfully registered for registration at "X" Association.  If you have filled in an email address you will be receiving a notification of acceptance of registration." (Paraphrased)

Yeah.. an email telling him he will be getting an email if he supplied an email address. I'll have to check later and see if there is a second email or if that was the email telling him he was registered.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #7171 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

Oh! I believe that's what mbbored actually meant. That makes a little more sense to me... but I'll still have to look it up.

I've heard both - Catholics saying that Protestants aren't Christian and Protestants saying that Catholics aren't Christian. It's really rather ridiculous and brain-hurty both.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

hjaye

« Reply #7172 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
That reminds me of another type of brain hurt-y exchange. Those who proclaim Catholicism to not be part of Christianity.

...huh? I need to look that up! I was raised Catholic (converted to some kind of atheist-but-tolerant-albeit-skeptical since) and I never even heard of that...

I've actually heard it the other way...members of some denominations announcing that Catholics aren't Christian.

When I was in Jr. High School, I hung out with two other kids.   I was Jewish, one friend was Catholic, and my other friend was Protestant.  I used to make reference to Protestants and Christians until my Protestant friend informed me that a Protestant was as much a Christian as a Catholic.  I honestly had no idea I was offending him until he said something

CakeBeret

« Reply #7173 on: February 22, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
My DH made my brain seriously, seriously hurt.

As BG, I rarely let him go grocery shopping. And this is why. He has NO sense of what things cost or how to stay on budget.

On Valentine's Day, we decided to stay in and cook dinner. He called on his way home and said that he would go to the grocery store for supplies. I was busy enough that I didn't stop to think about my "no sending DH to grocery store ever, ever, ever" rule. It was a fairly simple meal, chicken cordon bleu with potatoes and green beans.

I nearly had a coronary when he showed me the receipt. As a point of reference, our grocery budget is $50 per week for 2-3 adults plus a toddler. DH had spent, for one meal, $60. The most expensive chicken breast in the store, name brand everything, and he had decided to get both wine and beer. I could have bought everything except the alcohol for $15 at the very most.

His rationale? "But it's Valentine's Day."

::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7174 on: February 22, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
We spend $400 a month for 3 people, including a teenage boy. DH does not understand that we should have enough juice or milk for a whole week, and if we run out, we have to get more, which eats into our savings.

I buy all of our meat, dairy and eggs at a warehouse club, saves me a lot of money.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7175 on: February 22, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
StarDrifter wrote:

"--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--"

My brain-hurt in this is my thought that if Dr. Such'n'Such wouldn't know you from Adam, then your DH needs a new doctor posthaste.

Virg

MandiC76

« Reply #7176 on: February 22, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
StarDrifter wrote:

"--so apparently Husband has to see his Doctor to get a certificate about when I am going to give birth, even though Dr Such'n'Such would not know me from Adam and has had nothing whatsoever to do with my prenatal care?--"

My brain-hurt in this is my thought that if Dr. Such'n'Such wouldn't know you from Adam, then your DH needs a new doctor posthaste.

Virg

I had to read this 3 times before I got it. Nice one, Virg!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7177 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

C. S. Lewis was a noted apologist for Catholicism.  Perhaps that's why your acquaintance didn't like it.  I wonder what he'd think of 'The Screwtape Letters'.   

Mmn, not really.  Lewis came late to religion, in many ways influenced by J R R Tolkien, a fellow 'Inkling' who *was* Catholic and very devout.  Tolkien was bitterly disappointed that Lewis returned to the Church of England, not the Catholic faith, when he rediscovered his faith.  I think it's really stretching to call him a Catholic apologist.  He was certainly a Christian apologist, of course.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7178 on: February 22, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
I've heard the Catholics aren't Christians from some.  Couldn't even say it was from any denomination because I've heard it from some people who had only half heard something and filled in the blanks with their own opinions.  Then I met others who said "oh we don't believe that..."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #7179 on: February 23, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
My wonderful mental health clinic was shut down, and I need a new psychiatrist for "medication management." I called another clinic.

The receptionist told me I had to call my insurance company to make sure they would pay. I told her I had just been to the insurance company's website, and her clinic was listed as a provider.

That conversation was repeated about 4 times, before she finally told me that they would need to do an intake evaluation on me before I could see the psychiatrist, and needed to know if that would be covered.

I think I'll keep looking for a new doc.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

JoW

« Reply #7180 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »
I am a news addict.  I listen to the local news on tv while I get ready for work.  I record the local and national news every evening so I can watch them even if Iím not home when they are on.  I read the newspaper every day.  My mother knows this.  She has complained because I watch the news too much.

I got hit with the blizzard that hit the Midwest Thursday.  It was forecast 5 days before it hit.  It made the front page of the newspaper and every local tv news shows for a full 5 days.  It made the national news several times.  School closings were announced on Wednesday evening.  They sent us home from work at noon Thursday so we would be snowbound in the relative comfort of home.  I was late for work Friday because my snow thrower broke down.  Every outdoor surface is covered with snow. 

My mother does not live in this area.  When I got home Thursday afternoon I e-mailed her, telling her I was safely at home. 

Mom reads several newspapers on line.  Today, Saturday, 2 days after the storm, my mother e-mailed me a piece from MY local newspaper telling me that the roads in my area are still bad.  No attached message.  Just a piece from the paper I read yesterday when I finally got to work.  Because obviously Iím not bright enough to realize that it snowed and the roads are still bad. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7181 on: February 25, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
I'm sure I hurt some brains today.

It is currently 36F outside with about 6 inches of snow on the ground.  I was outside in a t-shirt and sandals taking a walk with the dogs.  I just didn't think it was cold...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7182 on: February 25, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

It is currently 36F outside with about 6 inches of snow on the ground.  I was outside in a t-shirt and sandals taking a walk with the dogs.  I just didn't think it was cold...

You could just run hotter than average. I have to wear sweaters/layers until the temp's in the high 70's because my normal temp is a bit lower than average.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mmswm

« Reply #7183 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »

After living in North Dakota for a couple years, 36F seems almost balmy.  Since I've been back in Florida, there have been a couple of cool nights (in the 50's or so).  My kids and I have been driving my mother nuts because she wants to bundle everybody up like it's 40 below, and the kids and I are all "But it's not even chilly yet!"
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7184 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »

You could just run hotter than average. I have to wear sweaters/layers until the temp's in the high 70's because my normal temp is a bit lower than average.

This with sunny and no breeze? I get it.