Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1043242 times)

Carotte

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7215 on: February 27, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
I must have broken my SO's brain yesterday. For the first time he really asked me questions and tried to understand how my brain 'works', I have dysorthography (not sure if it exist in english - close to dyslexia but with grammar and orthography), and he's from the grammar police. So the fact that I cannot, for the life of me, put a concept that I could learn to heart (the words, not the meaning, I don't get it) and use it at the right place is just boggling for him.
My brain takes the written world as a big bag of confusion if I try to take part in it. I really wish he could 'get it' because it has caused me enough pain during my schooling* that I really wish someone would just accept it for what it is.
I can't blame him for not really understanding, it's like asking someone not on the spectrum to imagine what it's like to suffer from autism.

*That's what prompted the conversation, turns out, hearing (said or heavily implied)  day in and day out, from 6 to 19y/old that you must be stupid, not making any effort, good for nothing, will leave traces.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7216 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »
I had one with a classmate today via email.

CM: mbbored, can I borrow your statistics textbook?
Me: Sure! Are you going to be at the seminar tomorrow? I can bring it to you then.
CM: dep. fac? no fac? pref off, use copy.
Me: Excuse me? Did you mean to respond with that?
CM: What?
Me: I didn't understand your email.
CM: What didn't you understand?
Me: Any of it.
CM: I asked to borrow a textbook.
Me: And I said yes. Then I asked you if you'd be at seminar so I could hand it off to you.
CM: And I said, it depends on whether or not the faculty will be there. I prefer to meet you at your office, where maybe I could use your copier.
Me: I did not get any of that.
CM: You should really study shorthand.

Yeah, shorthand was the problem there.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7217 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »

Me: Sure! Are you going to be at the seminar tomorrow? I can bring it to you then.
Me: And I said yes. Then I asked you if you'd be at seminar so I could hand it off to you.
CM: And I said, it depends on whether or not the faculty will be there. I prefer to meet you at your office, where maybe I could use your copier.

I got a headache just from reading that... oy vey

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7218 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Yeah, once she explained I was able to go back and understand what she meant by the shorthand. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

stkatie00

« Reply #7219 on: February 27, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

That looks like the type of shorthand I would use while taking notes-something that makes perfect sense to me, but not to anyone else! Or me, if I didn't go back and rewrite my notes soon enough, for that matter...

PeterM

« Reply #7220 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »

And you should really get your own stinkin' textbook.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7221 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:10 AM »

And you should really get your own stinkin' textbook.

Ehh, it's not about the textbook. It's not for an assigned course; it's more of a useful reference. We all have different books and frequently borrow each others.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7222 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »
I made my grandson's brain hurt some years back.  He was about...8, maybe. 

"Grandma, what kind of video games did they have when you were my age?"

When I was 8 it was 1963.  That there were no electronic games of any kind was an alien concept to him.  I remember how strange as it seemed to me at that age that my mother grew up with no television. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cabbageweevil

« Reply #7223 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »
My first thought on reading this bit would have been: obscene abuse of some kind?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7224 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
I made my grandson's brain hurt some years back.  He was about...8, maybe. 

"Grandma, what kind of video games did they have when you were my age?"

When I was 8 it was 1963.  That there were no electronic games of any kind was an alien concept to him.  I remember how strange as it seemed to me at that age that my mother grew up with no television.

I made my boy's brains hurt when I tried to explain to them the DOS prompt when you used to start up computers, before there was Windows and clicking on icons was available for opening programs.   That you'd have to remember the location of the program and type it up exactly or it would tell you "File not found". 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Melle

« Reply #7225 on: February 28, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
I made my boy's brains hurt when I tried to explain to them the DOS prompt when you used to start up computers, before there was Windows and clicking on icons was available for opening programs.   That you'd have to remember the location of the program and type it up exactly or it would tell you "File not found".

Well, there was always the "dir" command. Ah, good times :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7226 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »
And the lovely "ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7227 on: February 28, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »

Well, there was always the "dir" command. Ah, good times :)

C:/games/coolgame/coolgame.exe
>coolgame.exe not found
cd..
C:/games/dir
C:/games/goodgame/goodgame.exe

Hillia

« Reply #7228 on: February 28, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
Ah yes, and writing your own baby menu batch files in BASIC.  And the precious autoexec.bat and config.sys files...once you got everything working, be sure to copy those somewhere, because if they got deleted or corrupted, you were in for hours of fun.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Melle

« Reply #7229 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
Somehow I seem to remember sitting in front of my father's first PC watching it defrag for hours...