News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 10:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2055674 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7275 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
She can't freak if she doesn't know.  Cut off the information flow.

Barney girl

« Reply #7276 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
I have a friend who does something similar. She will 'remind' me to do something or advise me to do it. The trouble is it's usually something I would do anyway, but she has the warm glow of feeling that I would never have thought of it without her assistance.
The worst was when she reminded me that I should have lights on my bike and wear something fluorescent. It would not sink in that, yes I have lights and I have a big fluorescent work jacket. She would only continue to talk about cyclists she had seen (or rather almost not seen, if that makes sense) who did not do so.
I know she's got my best interests at heart but .....grrrrr.

Reika

« Reply #7277 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

I have to agree. I actually did that to my own mom when she started blabbing about stuff to not just her co-workers, but other random people she knew. Took her a long time to regain my trust with information about my personal life.

Reika

« Reply #7278 on: March 04, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but a friend of mine posted this link

http://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-robot-suit-approved-for-worldwide-rollout-2013-2#ixzz2MPHiHSMa

The part that hurt my brain was the names of the device and the company that made said device.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7279 on: March 04, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
The "Didn't I just say I was going to do that?" stories reminded me of an experience I had years ago.  I might have mentioned this one in the early days of this thread but it still makes me go, "Buh?"

When I was younger, I went through a bout of persistent UTIs and one particularly ugly one occurred over the weekend.  I was unable to see my regular doctor so I went into urgent care instead.  As soon as I started showing symptoms, I popped a couple of those numbing pills to keep me from killing someone before I could be seen by a professional.  These things have a color changing effect on your output. 

As I was in triage, I mentioned to the nurse why I was there and also that I had taken the numbing pills.

A culture is taken.  The doctor then comes in and starts scolding me for taking the numbing pills.  People are always taking those and then they feel better and just ignore the fact that they have an infection and need to be seen.  It's irresponsible!!  It's ridiculous!  How is he supposed to do his job if we insist on taking these things!  They don't cure the infection, they just numb the pain.  THE HUUUMMMAAAANNNNIIIITTTYYYYY!!!!

The nurse and I were both  :o

I get what he was saying but I was THERE.  Waiting for him to confirm that I did have a UTI.  So I could get it treated with the proper medication.   Dude was preaching to the choir.

WillyNilly

• Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7280 on: March 04, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-robot-suit-approved-for-worldwide-rollout-2013-2#ixzz2MPHiHSMa

The part that hurt my brain was the names of the device and the company that made said device.

I don't think the names are unreasonable at all.  It hurts my brain that anyone would associate a Japanese product in 2013 with a 45 year old American film, or even a 29 year old American film. Most likely half the people working on these robots weren't even alive when those films came out, and being on a totally different continent that speaks a different language then the films were made in, they probably have little to no knowledge of their existence or relevance.

Adelaide

« Reply #7281 on: March 04, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »

I have to agree. I actually did that to my own mom when she started blabbing about stuff to not just her co-workers, but other random people she knew. Took her a long time to regain my trust with information about my personal life.

This is a good idea in theory, but when you get the phone call while you're right next to her, or she's already seen the mail, or you ask about something and she says "why", it's not always possible to keep her in the dark. I don't go around broadcasting "I HAVE THIS, THAT, AND THE OTHER TO DO". Usually she finds out by virtue of being in the same room.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7282 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
The "Didn't I just say I was going to do that?" stories reminded me of an experience I had years ago.  I might have mentioned this one in the early days of this thread but it still makes me go, "Buh?"

When I was younger, I went through a bout of persistent UTIs and one particularly ugly one occurred over the weekend.  I was unable to see my regular doctor so I went into urgent care instead.  As soon as I started showing symptoms, I popped a couple of those numbing pills to keep me from killing someone before I could be seen by a professional.  These things have a color changing effect on your output. 

As I was in triage, I mentioned to the nurse why I was there and also that I had taken the numbing pills.

A culture is taken.  The doctor then comes in and starts scolding me for taking the numbing pills.  People are always taking those and then they feel better and just ignore the fact that they have an infection and need to be seen.  It's irresponsible!!  It's ridiculous!  How is he supposed to do his job if we insist on taking these things!  They don't cure the infection, they just numb the pain.  THE HUUUMMMAAAANNNNIIIITTTYYYYY!!!!

The nurse and I were both  :o

I get what he was saying but I was THERE.  Waiting for him to confirm that I did have a UTI.  So I could get it treated with the proper medication.   Dude was preaching to the choir.

This sounds like today, when I attempted to call a system to update my record with correct information.  It had one of those awful automated systems where you never get anywhere or anyone.  When it gave you some menu options, one of them was, "Update my information."  I pressed the button for this, and was then treated to a one-minute long message of, "It is *very* important that you always update your information with our system if it goes out of date.  You should always notify us of any changes."  Etc.  Hello!  I'm dialing your number and chose the update option, obviously that's what I want!
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #7283 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »

Don't worry too much, there needs to be 8,995 revisions before it reaches HAL 9000 and then gains self awareness via Skynet. :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

magicdomino

« Reply #7284 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »

I don't think the names are unreasonable at all.  It hurts my brain that anyone would associate a Japanese product in 2013 with a 45 year old American film, or even a 29 year old American film. Most likely half the people working on these robots weren't even alive when those films came out, and being on a totally different continent that speaks a different language then the films were made in, they probably have little to no knowledge of their existence or relevance.

As long as the robot limbs don't sing "Bicycle Built for Two" or say, "I can't do that, Dave." I think the name is fine. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7285 on: March 04, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

It hurts my brain that their marketing folks DIDN'T - in this day and age, businesses need to take multiple cultures into consideration, lest they totally alienate a potential client base. Also, most of the folks I know who would be most interested in this development absolutely WILL associate both those names with those films, regardless of age. One of those films is something of a cinematic classic, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

As long as the robot limbs don't sing "Bicycle Built for Two" or say, "I can't do that, Dave." I think the name is fine. 

Fine, but still amusing.  ;D
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Reika

« Reply #7286 on: March 04, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

It hurts my brain that their marketing folks DIDN'T - in this day and age, businesses need to take multiple cultures into consideration, lest they totally alienate a potential client base. Also, most of the folks I know who would be most interested in this development absolutely WILL associate both those names with those films, regardless of age. One of those films is something of a cinematic classic, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but this is perfect. And I had to do a couple of searches to make sure this wasn't a gag on his part, but apparently it's legit.

Iris

« Reply #7287 on: March 04, 2013, 02:11:43 PM »

Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but this is perfect. And I had to do a couple of searches to make sure this wasn't a gag on his part, but apparently it's legit.

I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hillia

« Reply #7288 on: March 04, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
My SIL and  brother were moving from Tucson to another state.  SIL was pregnant at the time.  She's, um, high strung at the best of times, and had a tough time with pregnancy hormones.  So her mother, who lives in another state, got her all worked up about hantavirus because they lived in the southwestern US and everyone there was exposed to hanta and you would diiiiieeeeeee immediately.  (hantavirus, from what I understand, is primarily carried through mouse excrement; SIL kept a very clean house and there were no mice anywhere).

So we're all out for dinner as they get ready to move, and SIL says to DB, 'As soon as we get to the new house, we have to wash all the dishes and cookware in the dishwasher to kill the hantavirus!'.  DB says, ok, fine, we'll do that. 
SIL: No!  You don't understand!  We have to wash EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
DB: OK, you just tell me how you want to handle it and I'll help.  We'll run everything through the dishwasher
SIL: You're not getting it!  We have to wash everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DB:  Right, we will.  I'll do whatever you need me to do
SIL: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!  WE HAVE TO WASH EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

DB finally had to tell her rather sharply to let it go, they'd talk about it later.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7289 on: March 04, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »

I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.

I vote marketing win, actually.  The names aren't offensive, they don't make you react negatively to the product itself, and you're talking about them.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.