Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1005690 times)

magicdomino

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7305 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but a friend of mine posted this link

http://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-robot-suit-approved-for-worldwide-rollout-2013-2#ixzz2MPHiHSMa

The part that hurt my brain was the names of the device and the company that made said device.

I don't think the names are unreasonable at all.  It hurts my brain that anyone would associate a Japanese product in 2013 with a 45 year old American film, or even a 29 year old American film. Most likely half the people working on these robots weren't even alive when those films came out, and being on a totally different continent that speaks a different language then the films were made in, they probably have little to no knowledge of their existence or relevance.

As long as the robot limbs don't sing "Bicycle Built for Two" or say, "I can't do that, Dave." I think the name is fine. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7306 on: March 04, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/japanese-robot-suit-approved-for-worldwide-rollout-2013-2#ixzz2MPHiHSMa

The part that hurt my brain was the names of the device and the company that made said device.

I don't think the names are unreasonable at all.  It hurts my brain that anyone would associate a Japanese product in 2013 with a 45 year old American film, or even a 29 year old American film. Most likely half the people working on these robots weren't even alive when those films came out, and being on a totally different continent that speaks a different language then the films were made in, they probably have little to no knowledge of their existence or relevance.

It hurts my brain that their marketing folks DIDN'T - in this day and age, businesses need to take multiple cultures into consideration, lest they totally alienate a potential client base. Also, most of the folks I know who would be most interested in this development absolutely WILL associate both those names with those films, regardless of age. One of those films is something of a cinematic classic, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

As long as the robot limbs don't sing "Bicycle Built for Two" or say, "I can't do that, Dave." I think the name is fine. 

Fine, but still amusing.  ;D
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Reika

« Reply #7307 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »

It hurts my brain that their marketing folks DIDN'T - in this day and age, businesses need to take multiple cultures into consideration, lest they totally alienate a potential client base. Also, most of the folks I know who would be most interested in this development absolutely WILL associate both those names with those films, regardless of age. One of those films is something of a cinematic classic, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but this is perfect. And I had to do a couple of searches to make sure this wasn't a gag on his part, but apparently it's legit.

Iris

« Reply #7308 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »

Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how to respond, but this is perfect. And I had to do a couple of searches to make sure this wasn't a gag on his part, but apparently it's legit.

I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hillia

« Reply #7309 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
My SIL and  brother were moving from Tucson to another state.  SIL was pregnant at the time.  She's, um, high strung at the best of times, and had a tough time with pregnancy hormones.  So her mother, who lives in another state, got her all worked up about hantavirus because they lived in the southwestern US and everyone there was exposed to hanta and you would diiiiieeeeeee immediately.  (hantavirus, from what I understand, is primarily carried through mouse excrement; SIL kept a very clean house and there were no mice anywhere).

So we're all out for dinner as they get ready to move, and SIL says to DB, 'As soon as we get to the new house, we have to wash all the dishes and cookware in the dishwasher to kill the hantavirus!'.  DB says, ok, fine, we'll do that. 
SIL: No!  You don't understand!  We have to wash EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
DB: OK, you just tell me how you want to handle it and I'll help.  We'll run everything through the dishwasher
SIL: You're not getting it!  We have to wash everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DB:  Right, we will.  I'll do whatever you need me to do
SIL: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!  WE HAVE TO WASH EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

DB finally had to tell her rather sharply to let it go, they'd talk about it later.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7310 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.

I vote marketing win, actually.  The names aren't offensive, they don't make you react negatively to the product itself, and you're talking about them.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7311 on: March 04, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

The folks at Universal Technical Institute didn't realize that the initials that they go by means something entirely different to the female half of humanity... (Yes, I know that men can get UTIs, but it's much rarer than for women.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #7312 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
2littlemonkeys, weren't you tempted to tell the male doctor "No uterus, no opinion"?  Because I would've been!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7313 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

The folks at Universal Technical Institute didn't realize that the initials that they go by means something entirely different to the female half of humanity... (Yes, I know that men can get UTIs, but it's much rarer than for women.)

Before the Pennsylvania Culinary Institute was called the Pennsylvania Culinary Institute (PCI) it was called Pennsylvania Institute of Culinary Arts. All fine and dandy, til someone points out that your acronym (PICA) is also a name for a disorder where people eat things that shouldn't be eaten! :D My former high school science teacher apparently pointed that out to them.

back to the regular scheduled thread!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7314 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »
Many, many years ago, my employer did a reorganization and created a unit that my boss named "Research and Technical Services" and asked me to be in charge of it. I asked him if he had ever thought about the acronym. He hadn't.

At the first meeting of the new group, I asked them what they felt about the name and if they wanted to come up with another one. They thought it was pretty cool, so it stayed. And, until I moved on, my informal job title was Heat Rat.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Garden Goblin

« Reply #7315 on: March 04, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »

Makes me wonder if someone did the name it in as a joke expecting it to get caught, and it just swooooshed by the marketing people.

I've done that a few times - deliberately created an acronym and waited for somebody to catch it, or put a joke name in as a placeholder and had it make it to the final.  That's actually how a set of streets ended up named after my family members.

Shalamar

« Reply #7316 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »
My project's initials are PMS.    :)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7317 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
My project's initials are PMS.    :)

My college degree is in Applied Social Science.   Yeah, I have a degree in that. 

MayHug

« Reply #7318 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
I went to a new doctor yesterday. He is in a large building I was unfamiliar with. I checked the directory and it said his office was on the first floor. I walk all over the first floor and cannot find his office.  A lady at the information desk asked if she could help.

Me: Yes I am looking for Dr. Wonderful's office.
Her: Get in the elevator and go to the second floor.
Me: Oh, sorry I must have misread the directory, I thought it said first floor.
Her: No, he's on the first floor, this is the ground floor.
Me: Ohhh! So, I go to the first floor?
Her: No, get in the elevator go to the second floor.

So, I get in the elevator, push the 2. Go to second floor, get off. No Dr Wonderful, get back in the elevator go the 1st floor. Lo and behold there's his office!

I admit I was nervous about the appointment and a bit scatter brained, but she really made my brain hurt!!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7319 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
I went to a new doctor yesterday. He is in a large building I was unfamiliar with. I checked the directory and it said his office was on the first floor. I walk all over the first floor and cannot find his office.  A lady at the information desk asked if she could help.

Me: Yes I am looking for Dr. Wonderful's office.
Her: Get in the elevator and go to the second floor.
Me: Oh, sorry I must have misread the directory, I thought it said first floor.
Her: No, he's on the first floor, this is the ground floor.
Me: Ohhh! So, I go to the first floor?
Her: No, get in the elevator go to the second floor.

So, I get in the elevator, push the 2. Go to second floor, get off. No Dr Wonderful, get back in the elevator go the 1st floor. Lo and behold there's his office!

I admit I was nervous about the appointment and a bit scatter brained, but she really made my brain hurt!!

Are you in the US?  This varies by country - we call the ground floor the "first" floor, but other places in the world the "first" floor is the first story (i.e. US second floor) and the ground floor is just the ground floor.