Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 948223 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7320 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
I went to a new doctor yesterday. He is in a large building I was unfamiliar with. I checked the directory and it said his office was on the first floor. I walk all over the first floor and cannot find his office.  A lady at the information desk asked if she could help.

Me: Yes I am looking for Dr. Wonderful's office.
Her: Get in the elevator and go to the second floor.
Me: Oh, sorry I must have misread the directory, I thought it said first floor.
Her: No, he's on the first floor, this is the ground floor.
Me: Ohhh! So, I go to the first floor?
Her: No, get in the elevator go to the second floor.

So, I get in the elevator, push the 2. Go to second floor, get off. No Dr Wonderful, get back in the elevator go the 1st floor. Lo and behold there's his office!

I admit I was nervous about the appointment and a bit scatter brained, but she really made my brain hurt!!

Are you in the US?  This varies by country - we call the ground floor the "first" floor, but other places in the world the "first" floor is the first story (i.e. US second floor) and the ground floor is just the ground floor.

MayHug

« Reply #7321 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »
Yes, I am in the US. I should have realized it right away, but when she said second floor it confused me!  :o

Gyburc

« Reply #7322 on: March 05, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
My project's initials are PMS.    :)

My college degree is in Applied Social Science.   Yeah, I have a degree in that.

I'm on the mailing-list for the Freelance Academy Press... and yes, they use the acronym. It always makes me go  :o  >:D
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7323 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »

My college degree is in Applied Social Science.   Yeah, I have a degree in that.

I'm on the mailing-list for the Freelance Academy Press... and yes, they use the acronym. It always makes me go  :o  >:D

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7324 on: March 05, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »
*snicker*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7325 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »

Ah, but is it a Bachelor of Science degree?  :D

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7326 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

I have a friend with a B.S. in Biostats which our university abbreviated as B.S.

Shalamar

« Reply #7327 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
We recently started a new project whose acronym was PNS.  Try saying it quickly, and you'll know why it got changed to PNM.  :D

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7328 on: March 05, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »

I have a friend with a B.S. in Biostats which our university abbreviated as B.S.

My SO has a B.S. in Electronic Marketing, and a PHD (his high school diploma from a school starting with a P). We’ve made many jokes about that, particularly since he thinks most of his company’s practices are well… B.S.

nuit93

« Reply #7329 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.

Makes me wonder if someone did the name it in as a joke expecting it to get caught, and it just swooooshed by the marketing people.

I've done that a few times - deliberately created an acronym and waited for somebody to catch it, or put a joke name in as a placeholder and had it make it to the final.  That's actually how a set of streets ended up named after my family members.

I'm pretty sure the creators of the South Lake Union Trolley knew exactly what they were doing  >:D

KimberlyM

« Reply #7330 on: March 05, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
There is a beauty school across the street from my office.  IBS School of Cosmetology.  Can't figure out who decided that was a great name!

clio917

« Reply #7331 on: March 05, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
I have to say I agree. Both movies have infiltrated popular culture to a greater or lesser extent - they're not just movies anymore. l vote marketing fail.

Makes me wonder if someone did the name it in as a joke expecting it to get caught, and it just swooooshed by the marketing people.

I've done that a few times - deliberately created an acronym and waited for somebody to catch it, or put a joke name in as a placeholder and had it make it to the final.  That's actually how a set of streets ended up named after my family members.

I'm pretty sure the creators of the South Lake Union Trolley knew exactly what they were doing  >:D

Yeah, that problem dawned on them and it's officially named the South Lake Union Streetcar. Took all the fun out of it...

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7332 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »

Absolutely!  LOL ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7333 on: March 05, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

Absolutely!  LOL ;D

You officially have the most awesome degree I've ever heard of!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7334 on: March 05, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
And then there's the should-be-an-urban-legend-but-isn't story behind the Wgasa, the monorail at the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park. (Warning: naughty word)
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).