Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1069489 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7365 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
A place I worked was entirely about litigation - yet most of the lawyers had only been in a trial a few times over their entire career.  A lot of litigation is just motion practice now.  You might appear before a judge, but the who examination that you see on tv is not something everyone gets or has to do even if you are interested in litigation.

That reminds me of Tom Cruise's character in A Few Good Men.  The joke was he'd never seen the inside of a courtroom until he got that case because every previous case was settled out of court. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7366 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
MIL is a furniture hound. There can be no wall space without a piece of furniture in front of it. However, we are such slobs   that all furniture (even particleboard) must have a sheet or some fabric draped over it to "protect" it.

Hahahahaha! I loved this. It reminded me of my mother's sister, my aunt, who always seemed so glamorous to me. Mary had been a stewardess (this was in the days of bright and glowing sexism) with American Airlines, then had married an older man and had three children. We would occasionally go and visit them. The house was nicer than ours and the living room particularly pretty. The way it stayed that way was because she covered everything plastic. Lampshades, sofas, chairs. Maybe Joan Crawford was an idol? (They did most of their socializing in the kitchen/family room, I believe.) The room was "for company." I remember asking my mom after one visit, "So what are we? Chopped liver?" Mom, if I remember correctly, kind of shrugged. She wasn't indifferent to my question, but probably uncertain how to answer it.

DH has a friend who had an "off-limits" room in the house. It was only to be used by his mother and the company she invited over. The carpet showed footprints so his mother would know. Showroom quality everything in that room.

I believe a home should be lived in, but I do have to remind DS to take care around furnishings on occasion.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7367 on: March 06, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"My father-in-law is a very smart man. He did a lot of the work on his house himself, and that is good, except that it will never pass inspection for sale and MIL is constantly talking about selling that house. While they were gone over the weekend, the 32 year old hot water heater had a major catastrophe and flooded the rear wing of the house. FIL is replacing the water heater, but trying to salvage the 32 year old carpet and padding."

That part of this that hurts my brain is that they own a house that's large enough to have 2000 square feet of carpeting on the bottom floor of one wing but it's got 32 year old carpets.  I'm guessing that your MIL wants to sell it so she doesn't have to continue staffing it.

Virg

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #7368 on: March 06, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »
My DH was trying to explain a quiz where you have clues to try and figure out the answer to an unknown question.   

*snip*

I still don't know what he is talking about and he thinks I'm just being completely obtuse.

My guess - the 'official answer' is the unknown question.  The other is just a clue.

Iris

« Reply #7369 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »
Syntax brain hurt.

The phrase "Up to $50 or more" always makes my brain twitch. You can have something up to $50, or you can have something $50 or more, but please do not say that it is "up to $50 or more".

There is a local shop that always has a CD sale rack with a sign saying "From under $10". I often wonder if they realise that that description includes every single number.

I get that. What they are trying to say is that this rack has some CDs in it that are as cheap as (probably) $9.99 (under $10), but also some which are more than $10. Yes, that encompasses all possible prices but I think the emphasis here is on how low they go (under $10) which is to say (in their estimation and for the sake of advertising) incredibly cheap!

In other words, the sign is saying, "Look in this rack! there are some CDs in here that are so cheap, they are less than $10! Be aware, though, they're not all that cheap, just some of them."

Yes, thank you, I did understand what they were trying to say.  My point was that they are communicating it in a very sloppy way indeed.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7370 on: March 06, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
My father showed me the package of a compact fluorescent light bulb which said something like "lasts up to 2 years."  :o  That kind of product warranty doesn't impress me.  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7371 on: March 06, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
My father showed me the package of a compact fluorescent light bulb which said something like "lasts up to 2 years."  :o  That kind of product warranty doesn't impress me.  >:D

It brings to mind when people say any of the following:

"For just pennies a day": The value of Buckingham Palace can be measured in pennies. You just need a lot of them.
"And it does the job in seconds!" The life span of the universe can be measured in seconds.  It's just a rather lot of them.
"Just yards away from [attraction] is [other attraction]" The distance from Earth to Betelguise can be measured in yards.  You just... well, you get the idea.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7372 on: March 06, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"My father-in-law is a very smart man. He did a lot of the work on his house himself, and that is good, except that it will never pass inspection for sale and MIL is constantly talking about selling that house. While they were gone over the weekend, the 32 year old hot water heater had a major catastrophe and flooded the rear wing of the house. FIL is replacing the water heater, but trying to salvage the 32 year old carpet and padding."

That part of this that hurts my brain is that they own a house that's large enough to have 2000 square feet of carpeting on the bottom floor of one wing but it's got 32 year old carpets.  I'm guessing that your MIL wants to sell it so she doesn't have to continue staffing it.

Virg

They built a 4200 sq ft house. At the time of it being built, it was for four people. There are four bedrooms, a living room, two bonus rooms, etc. Neither of the bonus rooms and one bedroom are ever used, only to store junk. There are only two people living there.

magicdomino

« Reply #7373 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
MIL is a furniture hound. There can be no wall space without a piece of furniture in front of it. However, we are such slobs   that all furniture (even particleboard) must have a sheet or some fabric draped over it to "protect" it.

Hahahahaha! I loved this. It reminded me of my mother's sister, my aunt, who always seemed so glamorous to me. Mary had been a stewardess (this was in the days of bright and glowing sexism) with American Airlines, then had married an older man and had three children. We would occasionally go and visit them. The house was nicer than ours and the living room particularly pretty. The way it stayed that way was because she covered everything plastic. Lampshades, sofas, chairs. Maybe Joan Crawford was an idol? (They did most of their socializing in the kitchen/family room, I believe.) The room was "for company." I remember asking my mom after one visit, "So what are we? Chopped liver?" Mom, if I remember correctly, kind of shrugged. She wasn't indifferent to my question, but probably uncertain how to answer it.

DH has a friend who had an "off-limits" room in the house. It was only to be used by his mother and the company she invited over. The carpet showed footprints so his mother would know. Showroom quality everything in that room.

I believe a home should be lived in, but I do have to remind DS to take care around furnishings on occasion.

My sister swears one of her friends put a velvet rope across the entrance to her living room.  No one ever went in there.   :)

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #7374 on: March 06, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
A place I worked was entirely about litigation - yet most of the lawyers had only been in a trial a few times over their entire career.  A lot of litigation is just motion practice now.  You might appear before a judge, but the who examination that you see on tv is not something everyone gets or has to do even if you are interested in litigation.

That reminds me of Tom Cruise's character in A Few Good Men.  The joke was he'd never seen the inside of a courtroom until he got that case because every previous case was settled out of court.
One more plea bargain and he would win a set of of steak knives.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7375 on: March 06, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »

It brings to mind when people say any of the following:

"For just pennies a day": The value of Buckingham Palace can be measured in pennies. You just need a lot of them.
"And it does the job in seconds!" The life span of the universe can be measured in seconds.  It's just a rather lot of them.
"Just yards away from [attraction] is [other attraction]" The distance from Earth to Betelguise can be measured in yards.  You just... well, you get the idea.

That's one of my pet peeves when commercials say "You can have this service that's less expensive than a cup of coffee a day!" Yeah well depends on what kind of coffee you get doesn't it?

Or "You can have this service for just 30 pennies a day!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7376 on: March 06, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

Yep, that was it. That is really the only movie I really like that has Tom Cruise in it.  Mostly cause I like the other actors so much and he is admittedly quite funny in that one.

Shalamar

« Reply #7377 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
The "pennies a day" thing reminds me of when McDonalds made a big deal out of the fact that you got change back after buying their food.   I was only a kid, but even I was like " ... So?   If you give them a big enough bill, of course you're going to get change back!"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7378 on: March 06, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »

Yep, that was it. That is really the only movie I really like that has Tom Cruise in it.  Mostly cause I like the other actors so much and he is admittedly quite funny in that one.

I liked him in Tropic Thunder.  That was really about it, though...

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7379 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »
The "pennies a day" thing reminds me of when McDonalds made a big deal out of the fact that you got change back after buying their food.   I was only a kid, but even I was like " ... So?   If you give them a big enough bill, of course you're going to get change back!"

Logic...it's what's for dinner :)