Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1036341 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7410 on: March 07, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »
...    For a number of years my grandmother (father's mother) lived with us and she had a "dribbling" problem and refused to admit it.  Everything she sat on wound up smelling like pee, so my mother basically shrink wrapped every piece of furniture in the house.  When Grandma passed away, mom uncovered everything.

Sometimes plastic is the lesser of two evils.   >:D

We can all "forgive" your Mother.  I'd personally much rather sit on plastic than someone else's pee.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7411 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
...    For a number of years my grandmother (father's mother) lived with us and she had a "dribbling" problem and refused to admit it.  Everything she sat on wound up smelling like pee, so my mother basically shrink wrapped every piece of furniture in the house.  When Grandma passed away, mom uncovered everything.

We can all "forgive" your Mother.  I'd personally much rather sit on plastic than someone else's pee.

Pod to that one!  We had a living room and a family room, growing up.  The living room was for Christmas and company, reading or playing the piano.  Anything else was done in the family room, where the tv was.  Brings to mind the Victorian way of having a parlor that was closed off for company and one for the family. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7412 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
Could you make a deal with her that you will make her another quilt just for hanging as long as she uses the original to snuggle in?

I don’t think she wants to hang one… that’s not her decorating style, and the one that I made her is closer to twin bed size than wallhanging size. I think she just has this idea that quilts shouldn’t be used to death (we don't have much of a quilting tradition in my family), even though I’d rather she did. I do plan on making her a nicer one at some point, but even then, I’d want her to use it.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7413 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Now my head is really hurting.

mmswm

« Reply #7414 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »

Pod to that one!  We had a living room and a family room, growing up.  The living room was for Christmas and company, reading or playing the piano.  Anything else was done in the family room, where the tv was.  Brings to mind the Victorian way of having a parlor that was closed off for company and one for the family.

Oh, yes.  She gets a pass on the plastic because of the reason she did it.  There are sometimes reasons why these things should get done.  On a side note, both the living room set and the family room set are still in use, and while they aren't as shiny and new as they once were, they make perfect furniture for the playroom at my parents' house and the basement of one of my sisters' houses.  The old family room set isn't in as good shape as the old living room set, but they're still comfy and functional.  The other furniture that got shrin wrapped included the dining room set (still looks showroom quality, even though it's been used every day for 40 years) and the office furniture that's also still in use.  My father is the type that will spend a lot of money on very high quality stuff and then expect it to be properly taken care of and last forever.  For the most part, that's what happens.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CharlieBraun

« Reply #7415 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
Joan Crawford, as in "Mommie Dearest"? "No wire hangers" Joan Crawford?

Ah....Joan....well, we gotta figure - we gotta *know* that wasn't the first time she'd told them?  It was probably the 100,006,745th time.  So yeah, she mighta been cranky at that point.   >:D
"We ate the pies."

Carotte

« Reply #7416 on: March 07, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
After the furniture-must-not-be-used there is the books-must-not-be-read kind of people.
My SO is a bit paranoid with his books, he tries to read them without creasing spines and all. I understand (up to a certain point, even more if they're beautiful or antique..), but for 'cheap' paperbacks it's sometimes not easy to keep them pristine. We have the same collections of Discworld books, the british paperpacks from Corgi, his are new-ish but when I lended him one I made it a point to say that he could be careless (up to a certain point of course) since I had read it a good half-dozen times and that my pet rat had, at the time, also enjoyed a few pages :).

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7417 on: March 07, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
lowspark wrote:

"I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever."

To me, that name is the same as saying Green's Field.  That is, a field that belongs to someone named Green.  I agree that it's probably not what they meant, though.

Virg

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7418 on: March 07, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
lowspark wrote:

"I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever."

To me, that name is the same as saying Green's Field.  That is, a field that belongs to someone named Green.  I agree that it's probably not what they meant, though.

Virg

I went to this restaurant a few weeks ago with my DD and her vegan friend. I think they figured out their mistake because their website just has Field of Green but their sign still has Field of Green's.  Honestly, I didn't think much of it, but DD and her friend were both highly amused by that errant appostrophe.  They wanted to ask to meet Mr or Mrs Green.

Adelaide

« Reply #7419 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
My aunt and uncle have three indoor dogs. My aunt is always complaining about how much cleaning she does and how much of a hassle it is to get anything done. How she's always tired from having to get up early/in the middle of the night/whenever and let the dogs out. How they're underfoot all the time, etc.

They just adopted a fourth dog. Which is great. But my aunt can start off griping about cleaning/messiness in one conversation and by the end of it start beaming about how she just looooves her new "addition to the family". She literally does not connect the dots between all of the work she does and how tired she is to the fact that she lets her dogs live indoors and shed all over the furniture. People have tried broaching the subject. Once my mother said "Oh, that's too bad, have you thought about putting a dog house on the covered patio so hair won't get all over your furniture?" My aunt shrugged and replied "He won't sleep outside."

I've just come to the conclusion that she's one of those people who isn't happy unless she's miserable, so she isn't going to remove her reason to be miserable.

Susiqzer

« Reply #7420 on: March 07, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
My mother had a plastic runner in our hallway to protect the (harvest gold, marbled) rug in that high-traffic area. It was a heavy, gold-colored plastic thing, with little hard plastic spikes on the underside so it wouldn't move around.

That lasted until my brother realized that if he flipped it over and yelled "hey Susi, come quick!" I'd be halfway down the hallway before I realized I was running on spikes. AIYEEEEEE!

JoW

« Reply #7421 on: March 07, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
We use a specialized piece of monitoring equipment where I work.   We have 9 identical units.  My responsibilities include getting them calibrated annually.  I also get them repaired when they malfunction.   Calibration costs $650.  Repairs cost another $650.  Right now I have one unit in my office just back from being calibrated, another ready to be shipped Monday, and a 3rd scheduled to go out April 1.  We use the units often so we can't have more than one off site for calibration or repairs at a time

I got a call Monday, another unit is malfunctioning.   Its not due for calibration until June, but it needs to go back now because it turns itself off after a few seconds of use.  I told the user to leave the unit and its charger in the case near her desk Tuesday so I could pick them up on my way to my office Wednesday morning.   I got the unit back to my office, but the charger was missing.  I started it, and it was just like the user said – runs a few seconds and stops.  Then I borrowed the charger from another unit and plugged it in.  The unit ran fine.   Charged it overnight, today it runs like new.

This morning the user admitted she has misplaced the charger.  She hadn’t charged the unit in months.   She had asked me to spend $650 to have our supplier tell me “you forgot to charge the battery.”  Ouch.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7422 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
This is making me grateful for my ILs, who always do what they can to baby proof their house when we bring Piratebabe over there.  And sometimes they'll miss a few things, likely because he wasn't quite that tall the last time they saw him, but they're good at swooping in to move something.  Usually while laughing and saying "Well I didn't think he'd be able to get to THAT already!" as they move it higher.
Toddlers have expandable arms, like Inspector Gadget.  A toddler sitting on your lap at the table can reach things that YOU can't reach!

I had to watch my little ones like a hawk at the IL's house.  MIL got her nose out of joint when I asked if her cleaning stuff could be moved out from under the kitchen sink.  You'd think from her reaction that it was an hour's job, at least -- but everything was in a plastic caddy and could have been moved in 10 seconds!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7423 on: March 08, 2013, 03:15:35 AM »
Ah yes, sloppy communication. These days I'm impressed if they can just get the spelling right and not put apostrophes into plurals. I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever.

Presumably, they stole the apostrophe from Starbucks.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7424 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
This is making me grateful for my ILs, who always do what they can to baby proof their house when we bring Piratebabe over there.  And sometimes they'll miss a few things, likely because he wasn't quite that tall the last time they saw him, but they're good at swooping in to move something.  Usually while laughing and saying "Well I didn't think he'd be able to get to THAT already!" as they move it higher.
Toddlers have expandable arms, like Inspector Gadget.  A toddler sitting on your lap at the table can reach things that YOU can't reach!

I had to watch my little ones like a hawk at the IL's house.  MIL got her nose out of joint when I asked if her cleaning stuff could be moved out from under the kitchen sink.  You'd think from her reaction that it was an hour's job, at least -- but everything was in a plastic caddy and could have been moved in 10 seconds!

May I ask for how long a visit you were there?  Was it a overnight/multi-day visit?  I'm asking because I have a toddler neice and newphew who come with their parents for visits for an afternoon and I would never think to move things out of closed cabinent doors. But there are usually so many adults in the house that they never have a chance to get into too much mischief.