News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 06:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2056895 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7395 on: March 07, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
lowspark wrote:

"I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever."

To me, that name is the same as saying Green's Field.  That is, a field that belongs to someone named Green.  I agree that it's probably not what they meant, though.

Virg

I went to this restaurant a few weeks ago with my DD and her vegan friend. I think they figured out their mistake because their website just has Field of Green but their sign still has Field of Green's.  Honestly, I didn't think much of it, but DD and her friend were both highly amused by that errant appostrophe.  They wanted to ask to meet Mr or Mrs Green.

Adelaide

« Reply #7396 on: March 07, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
My aunt and uncle have three indoor dogs. My aunt is always complaining about how much cleaning she does and how much of a hassle it is to get anything done. How she's always tired from having to get up early/in the middle of the night/whenever and let the dogs out. How they're underfoot all the time, etc.

They just adopted a fourth dog. Which is great. But my aunt can start off griping about cleaning/messiness in one conversation and by the end of it start beaming about how she just looooves her new "addition to the family". She literally does not connect the dots between all of the work she does and how tired she is to the fact that she lets her dogs live indoors and shed all over the furniture. People have tried broaching the subject. Once my mother said "Oh, that's too bad, have you thought about putting a dog house on the covered patio so hair won't get all over your furniture?" My aunt shrugged and replied "He won't sleep outside."

I've just come to the conclusion that she's one of those people who isn't happy unless she's miserable, so she isn't going to remove her reason to be miserable.

Susiqzer

« Reply #7397 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »
My mother had a plastic runner in our hallway to protect the (harvest gold, marbled) rug in that high-traffic area. It was a heavy, gold-colored plastic thing, with little hard plastic spikes on the underside so it wouldn't move around.

That lasted until my brother realized that if he flipped it over and yelled "hey Susi, come quick!" I'd be halfway down the hallway before I realized I was running on spikes. AIYEEEEEE!

JoW

« Reply #7398 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »
We use a specialized piece of monitoring equipment where I work.   We have 9 identical units.  My responsibilities include getting them calibrated annually.  I also get them repaired when they malfunction.   Calibration costs $650.  Repairs cost another $650.  Right now I have one unit in my office just back from being calibrated, another ready to be shipped Monday, and a 3rd scheduled to go out April 1.  We use the units often so we can't have more than one off site for calibration or repairs at a time

I got a call Monday, another unit is malfunctioning.   Its not due for calibration until June, but it needs to go back now because it turns itself off after a few seconds of use.  I told the user to leave the unit and its charger in the case near her desk Tuesday so I could pick them up on my way to my office Wednesday morning.   I got the unit back to my office, but the charger was missing.  I started it, and it was just like the user said – runs a few seconds and stops.  Then I borrowed the charger from another unit and plugged it in.  The unit ran fine.   Charged it overnight, today it runs like new.

This morning the user admitted she has misplaced the charger.  She hadn’t charged the unit in months.   She had asked me to spend $650 to have our supplier tell me “you forgot to charge the battery.”  Ouch.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #7399 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
This is making me grateful for my ILs, who always do what they can to baby proof their house when we bring Piratebabe over there.  And sometimes they'll miss a few things, likely because he wasn't quite that tall the last time they saw him, but they're good at swooping in to move something.  Usually while laughing and saying "Well I didn't think he'd be able to get to THAT already!" as they move it higher.
Toddlers have expandable arms, like Inspector Gadget.  A toddler sitting on your lap at the table can reach things that YOU can't reach!

I had to watch my little ones like a hawk at the IL's house.  MIL got her nose out of joint when I asked if her cleaning stuff could be moved out from under the kitchen sink.  You'd think from her reaction that it was an hour's job, at least -- but everything was in a plastic caddy and could have been moved in 10 seconds!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7400 on: March 08, 2013, 02:15:35 AM »
Ah yes, sloppy communication. These days I'm impressed if they can just get the spelling right and not put apostrophes into plurals. I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever.

Presumably, they stole the apostrophe from Starbucks.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Hmmmmm

« Reply #7401 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:28 AM »
This is making me grateful for my ILs, who always do what they can to baby proof their house when we bring Piratebabe over there.  And sometimes they'll miss a few things, likely because he wasn't quite that tall the last time they saw him, but they're good at swooping in to move something.  Usually while laughing and saying "Well I didn't think he'd be able to get to THAT already!" as they move it higher.
Toddlers have expandable arms, like Inspector Gadget.  A toddler sitting on your lap at the table can reach things that YOU can't reach!

I had to watch my little ones like a hawk at the IL's house.  MIL got her nose out of joint when I asked if her cleaning stuff could be moved out from under the kitchen sink.  You'd think from her reaction that it was an hour's job, at least -- but everything was in a plastic caddy and could have been moved in 10 seconds!

May I ask for how long a visit you were there?  Was it a overnight/multi-day visit?  I'm asking because I have a toddler neice and newphew who come with their parents for visits for an afternoon and I would never think to move things out of closed cabinent doors. But there are usually so many adults in the house that they never have a chance to get into too much mischief.

hjaye

« Reply #7402 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
When I was in college, my then GF now wife, had a suitemate who loved sour cream.  She would buy tubs of it and just eat it by the spoonful.  Until someone else in the room told her what sour cream was.  Whether it's done deliberately though a chemical process or naturally through aging, sour cream is "soured" cream.

She never considered the possibilities generated by the name.  Also she never really looked at what was in sour cream.  All the fats in it wouldn't really make it a good snack food in large quantities.  My wife said when she was told, she Ew'ed and didn't eat it again for the rest of the school year.  Evidently the fact that it was "sour" made it unsuitable for consumption, even after being told that being "sour" was OK and not bad (except in the calorie department) for you.

So if you leave sour cream out on the kitchen counter all night...... does it go good?

lowspark

« Reply #7403 on: March 08, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
lowspark wrote:

"I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever."

To me, that name is the same as saying Green's Field.  That is, a field that belongs to someone named Green.  I agree that it's probably not what they meant, though.

Virg

I went to this restaurant a few weeks ago with my DD and her vegan friend. I think they figured out their mistake because their website just has Field of Green but their sign still has Field of Green's.  Honestly, I didn't think much of it, but DD and her friend were both highly amused by that errant appostrophe.  They wanted to ask to meet Mr or Mrs Green.

Off topic, but... was it any good? It's pretty close to my office but I've never eaten there. It doesn't sound tempting.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

gramma dishes

« Reply #7404 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
lowspark wrote:

Virg

Off topic, but... was it any good? It's pretty close to my office but I've never eaten there. It doesn't sound tempting.

I was wondering the same thing.  I can envision two very different scenes.

One would be a "field"  (huge counters/tables/cases) filled with an incredible plethora of choices of different kinds of salads and fresh cool fruits and veggies.  Yum yum.

The other is a bunch of cattle chomping down in a field, pooing and f-rting as they go, oblivious to their surroundings other than the greens they're chewing in that funny sideways mouth movement. 

I wonder which image, if either, the name is trying to evoke?   ;D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7405 on: March 08, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
When I was in college, my then GF now wife, had a suitemate who loved sour cream.  She would buy tubs of it and just eat it by the spoonful.  Until someone else in the room told her what sour cream was.  Whether it's done deliberately though a chemical process or naturally through aging, sour cream is "soured" cream.

She never considered the possibilities generated by the name.  Also she never really looked at what was in sour cream.  All the fats in it wouldn't really make it a good snack food in large quantities.  My wife said when she was told, she Ew'ed and didn't eat it again for the rest of the school year.  Evidently the fact that it was "sour" made it unsuitable for consumption, even after being told that being "sour" was OK and not bad (except in the calorie department) for you.

So if you leave sour cream out on the kitchen counter all night...... does it go good?

;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Roodabega

« Reply #7406 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
...She never considered the possibilities generated by the name.  Also she never really looked at what was in sour cream.  All the fats in it wouldn't really make it a good snack food in large quantities.  My wife said when she was told, she Ew'ed and didn't eat it again for the rest of the school year.  Evidently the fact that it was "sour" made it unsuitable for consumption, even after being told that being "sour" was OK and not bad (except in the calorie department) for you.

It very well might, but I'm not sure I want to be the tester of that.  :)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #7407 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I really felt for this lady, but after explaining 50 times and apologizing 100 more times that there was NOTHING I could do to help her, I was sort of feeling less sympathetic by the moment.

We have downloadable e-books available at our library.  The method for downloading them used to be pretty straight forward:  you would go to the site, choose the book and type in your library card number and hook your kindle or nook up, et voila!  the book would download for three weeks.

Suddenly the method changed (and I freely admit that I do not know how to use it exactly because I just pay to download the cheapie books and take out the regular books from the library) and there are some new steps that take you to amazon where you have to have an account now.  And suddenly the site is allowing other books that have to be downloaded in adobe, which not all kindles (especially the old ones) seem to have.

This woman spent two hours on our internet access computers trying to download several ebooks that insisted she first download adobe to her kindle (which we tried to do and the source promptly said her device was not compatible) or sent her to amazon and she would burst out in all kinds of whining about "She never had to do that before"...but strangely enough she had an account with them, so she must have done this before.

My coworkers and I all took a crack at it and followed all directions to a T.  Other folks have been following these instructions and getting good results but for some reason, this lady's kindle absolutely refused to load.  I *think* part of the problem was that she didn't have a kindle connector thingie (do you love my knowledge of technical jargon?) but was using a generic one that happened to be in our lost and found box because, you know, we are completely responsible for her being so nervous about being FORCED (yes forced) to download books that she forgot her own connector at home. 

All the while, the woman sat and wailed that she was wasting her life doing this and it was so painful and the world was hateful and we (of course) were incompetent and made noises that could only be described as coming from someone who was constipated.  Lather rinse and repeat.  Every thirty seconds she would cry out "Isn't there someone here who KNOWS how to help me?  Who can I CALL?" or "I HATE having to do this, but I am FORCED to because I cannot afford to BUY them and I REFUSE to carry FIVE LIBRARY BOOKS TO EUROPE WITH ME!!!!!!!"  (Uh--please, if you are going to Europe, you don't need to take five of our books with you.  In fact, don't take any of them with you because if you cannot remember your connector, I suspect you cannot remember the book(s) you brought with you, either.)

Ma'am we are doing our best.  There were other books that download in the old way.  Telling me over and over again that "The other lady knew what she was doing" doesn't help as I am the ONLY lady in this department and the only other lady quit six months ago and no, I am NOT going to call her at her new job and ask her to drive the thirty miles back here to help you.  And please, stop grunting.  It's making me want to throw up.

gramma dishes

« Reply #7408 on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
I feel equally sorry for you and the poor old lady!! 

I'm hopelessly incompetent with all things electronic, but I'm very very good at following directions to the letter.  Unfortunately, many instructions are written with the idea that some things are just 'obvious' so they don't include those steps.  (For me, it would need to start with something like "Push the button to turn your computer on!")

But I've also been on the other end.  Sometimes someone seems to think erroneously that I look like I know what I'm doing, so they'll ask for help.  And just like you, although I can do 'that' (whatever it is) on my own equipment, I can't do it on that other person's. 

So my sympathies.  Sorry you had to deal with that.  But minus the moaning and groaning (which I might have substituted with a little mild swearing), she could have been me.    ;D

Twik

« Reply #7409 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »
Ah yes, sloppy communication. These days I'm impressed if they can just get the spelling right and not put apostrophes into plurals. I just saw this today on a restaurant sign: Field of Green's -- is the name of the eatery. Now, they can call it anything they want, it's their place. But the name implies that it belongs to Field of Green, not that it is a field of greens. Oh well, whatever.

Presumably, they stole the apostrophe from Starbucks.

Maybe it's owned by someone named Green? In which case, it's rather witty.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.