Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1013621 times)

Kaymyth

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7485 on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »
If you can use Windows XP, then Windows 7 will be easy (says a 55 year old grandmother of one).  I am personally not wild about Windows Vista.....being asked if I am sure that I want to do thing every single time makes me a bit crazy.

If you want a NEW computer with Windows 7, buy now.  If you don't mind a used computer with Windows 7 - there's always eBay.

I'm sitting at one of two "matching" eBay laptops, both running Windows 7 right now (two story house and a fear of not having a working computer when it comes to running my embroidery machine - which will not be getting updated to run on Windows 8, according to the manufacturer). 

I've heard from several people that Linux is easier - but my embroidery machine won't run on Mac or Linux, either. 

Once I get a newer embroidery machine (gotta talk to VorGuy, my accountant of Scotts descent about when that might happen, before or after Phoenix, Arizona and Death Valley freeze over, I hope) - I'll think about upgrading to a more current operating system.

In the meantime - Windows 7 is advanced enough......

There are ways to emulate or run virtual Windows machines on a Linux box, but they can be tetchy and don't work perfectly with every piece of software.  It's possible that you could find a configuration that would work, but you'd need someone who really knows Linux well to set it up.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7486 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
If you can use Windows XP, then Windows 7 will be easy (says a 55 year old grandmother of one).  I am personally not wild about Windows Vista.....being asked if I am sure that I want to do thing every single time makes me a bit crazy.

If you want a NEW computer with Windows 7, buy now.  If you don't mind a used computer with Windows 7 - there's always eBay.

I'm sitting at one of two "matching" eBay laptops, both running Windows 7 right now (two story house and a fear of not having a working computer when it comes to running my embroidery machine - which will not be getting updated to run on Windows 8, according to the manufacturer). 

I've heard from several people that Linux is easier - but my embroidery machine won't run on Mac or Linux, either. 

Once I get a newer embroidery machine (gotta talk to VorGuy, my accountant of Scotts descent about when that might happen, before or after Phoenix, Arizona and Death Valley freeze over, I hope) - I'll think about upgrading to a more current operating system.

In the meantime - Windows 7 is advanced enough......

There are ways to emulate or run virtual Windows machines on a Linux box, but they can be tetchy and don't work perfectly with every piece of software.  It's possible that you could find a configuration that would work, but you'd need someone who really knows Linux well to set it up.

Easier to keep one old laptop around with license for XP, Vista, and Windows 7, the install disks, a spare hard drive, and a screwdriver.

I might be over-prepared - but better that than another three day delay when it comes time to start my annual project with the equipment in September. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MerryCat

« Reply #7487 on: March 09, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »
From the St. Joseph News-Press (Missouri). It's an online comment from someone who is opposed to hunting:

"This is to all of the hunters who kill animals for food. Shame on you. You ought to just go to the store and buy meat that was made there where no animals were harmed."

Source

Oh for...I always heard about people like that, but I didn't actually think people were so naive that they actually believed meat appeared at the supermarket through no method of harm whatsoever. What do these people think happens? That the cow is taken up to heaven like Elijah and the meat is mystically taken from the animal and sent back down to Earth fully packaged for the supermarket?

That distant banging you hear is my head on a desk.
DH was in his 50's when he found out that meat is the muscle tissue of animals.  He said he was taught as a child that it was the "flesh", which was something different from the muscle. When asked A) where on the body this "flesh" was, and B) where the muscle went when the "flesh" became meat, he did a doubletake and made the most beautiful Cat Butt Face.  >:D

LOL... I love the phrase "cat butt face"! It's hilarious and so succinct.

CakeEater

« Reply #7488 on: March 10, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
From the St. Joseph News-Press (Missouri). It's an online comment from someone who is opposed to hunting:

"This is to all of the hunters who kill animals for food. Shame on you. You ought to just go to the store and buy meat that was made there where no animals were harmed."

Source

Oh for...I always heard about people like that, but I didn't actually think people were so naive that they actually believed meat appeared at the supermarket through no method of harm whatsoever. What do these people think happens? That the cow is taken up to heaven like Elijah and the meat is mystically taken from the animal and sent back down to Earth fully packaged for the supermarket?

DH was in his 50's when he found out that meat is the muscle tissue of animals.  He said he was taught as a child that it was the "flesh", which was something different from the muscle. When asked A) where on the body this "flesh" was, and B) where the muscle went when the "flesh" became meat, he did a doubletake and made the most beautiful Cat Butt Face.  >:D

I have to admit that I was well into my twenties before I put any thought into that topic, and worked that fact out somehow. I don't think I made a catbuttface when I was told, though. ;)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7489 on: March 10, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
I've posted this before, several years ago:

I was told this story when I was temporarily working in a laboratory in Maryland. A new scientist was completely unfamiliar with oysters on the half shell. She went out to lunch with some coworkers, one of whom ordered oysters. He generously offered her one to try. Just as she popped it into her mouth, he grinned, looked her in the eye and said "they're alive, you know."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7490 on: March 10, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
I am wondering what the people who don't know that meat involves the death of some creature think of the Thanksgiving or other roasted poultry. Perhaps they missed the chart in the meat department that shows the cuts of beef and pork, so I'll give that a pass. The seafood department has whole fish; well, gutted and ready to prepare, but still looking whole. Lobsters are in the tank at many restaurants. (That one really bothers even me.)

I guess it just never hit them on a conscious level. 1 + 1 = 2.

Our grandson figured it out before he was three. He was eating a bone-in chiken leg, his dad reminded him that it was chicken. Grandson said, "Cluck, cluck?", son nods his head, and grandson after thinking a bit shrugged his shoulders and went on eating.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7491 on: March 10, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
I am wondering what the people who don't know that meat involves the death of some creature think of the Thanksgiving or other roasted poultry. Perhaps they missed the chart in the meat department that shows the cuts of beef and pork, so I'll give that a pass. The seafood department has whole fish; well, gutted and ready to prepare, but still looking whole. Lobsters are in the tank at many restaurants. (That one really bothers even me.)

I guess it just never hit them on a conscious level. 1 + 1 = 2.

Our grandson figured it out before he was three. He was eating a bone-in chiken leg, his dad reminded him that it was chicken. Grandson said, "Cluck, cluck?", son nods his head, and grandson after thinking a bit shrugged his shoulders and went on eating.
My grandson knew consciously that meat was dead animals from the time he was a toddler, but I think he was 10 before it really hit him.  A neighbor was processing a deer, and actually seeing a body being cut up turned him off meat for at least a week.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7492 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »

Source

I work with one of those people. She has yet to tell her children where meat comes from.  >:(

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7493 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:22 AM »
And she thinks she is doing them a favour?

If the family is meat eating, the more naturally and matter of factly the subject is handled, the better.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7494 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »
Here's my brain hurt.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is in France.  So why is the nickname and mascot of Notre Dame University the "Fighting Irish"?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7495 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Here's my brain hurt.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is in France.  So why is the nickname and mascot of Notre Dame University the "Fighting Irish"?

Notre Dame means Our Lady and is a reference to the Virgin Mary.  The Notre Dame in Paris and the University in Indiana are run by different catholic orders who use the same name. 

There are other Notre Dame colleges, universities and schools in the US which are all run by different catholic orders.  My cousin attends the University in Baltimore which is run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7496 on: March 11, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »

Notre Dame means Our Lady and is a reference to the Virgin Mary.  The Notre Dame in Paris and the University in Indiana are run by different catholic orders who use the same name. 

There are other Notre Dame colleges, universities and schools in the US which are all run by different catholic orders.  My cousin attends the University in Baltimore which is run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Okay, that makes sense.  I did know that Notre Dame meant Our Lady, I guess I just thought since they were using the French translation they were wanting to emulate the French.   

Learn something new! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7497 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Ready for a brain hurt re: computers?

I currently have an I-Phone, a Snow Leopard Mac, a Kindle, and a Windows 8 PC.  I refuse to get an I-Pad, though; why would I need one?  I use Windows XP at work, btw.  Talk about versatility...

I can't really tell you which one I prefer, but as far as knowing how to do the most on one versus the other, Windows XP is the most familiar.

My boyfriend is always complaining about how I hurt his brain: I have an iPad and use OSX (Snow Leopard at home, Mountain Lion at work), but I refuse to get an iPhone in favor of my Android. I love my iPad and iOS as a tablet interface, but it just doesnít work for me as a phone interface.

I really dislike Windows in general, but I do have Vista installed as a dual boot for embroidery stuff. I greatly prefer XP, but itís no longer supported for what I need to do on it. Iíve fooled around with 8 a bit at work, though, and I actually like it pretty wellÖ not more than OSX though.
I'm so glad I'm not the only MacOS/iPad owner (love my MacBook Pro - upgraded from the Powermac I had in grad school) who refuses to use an iPhone in favor of Android. One is an awesome phone OS, one is an awesome tablet OS - but reversed, they are awful. Hence the reason DP's nook tablet is seldom used.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7498 on: March 11, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Don't have an ipad so can't really weigh in on that but I do love my android phone! :)

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7499 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
I havenít played around with Android on tablets yet. I could see myself liking it as a tablet OS over iOS too, maybe (although for tablet computing, the simplicity of iOS is one of its advantages [and Iím interested in playing with the new Windows tablet OS for that reason]).

Itís going to be such a hard decision for what to get when my iPad breaks. Itís the first gen, and the only reason I have it is that it was the holiday bonus from my company a few years ago. Now Iím hooked on having it.