Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053445 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7560 on: March 12, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »
Yesterday my internet connection decided to slow down to dial-up speeds, making it near impossible for me to work from home. I called Large Phone and Internet Service Provider to report the problem.

The first-level technical support person was quite frustrating. At one point she asked what my signal strength was. Having no clue, I asked how I would go about finding that out. She replied, "Oh, it's on the main screen of the internet connection application." After much searching I failed to find it and asked for clarification. Turns out that you have to click Menu, then Support, then Settings, then Diagnostics to get to the page that shows signal strength. And it's not listed as "signal strength," either: it's called LSRX MME. But I was apparently just supposed to know all of that.

She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over."  ???

And no, the problem has not been resolved.

Ah - no, I was born in Texas and our first military assignment was in Arizona - it's TWO states over.....New Mexico? 

Although if the tech support has been outsourced to India, then their grasp of minute details of geography in the USA might be a little vague.  And the way the educational system has been declining over the last umpty-ump years since *I* graduated - even some students in the USA have been left a little vague on geography outside their own city limits.....

"Hey, you, kids - get off my lawn!"

Dang, I'm the batty old neighbor down the street to someone now....aren't I?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7561 on: March 12, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Yesterday my internet connection decided to slow down to dial-up speeds, making it near impossible for me to work from home. I called Large Phone and Internet Service Provider to report the problem.

The first-level technical support person was quite frustrating. At one point she asked what my signal strength was. Having no clue, I asked how I would go about finding that out. She replied, "Oh, it's on the main screen of the internet connection application." After much searching I failed to find it and asked for clarification. Turns out that you have to click Menu, then Support, then Settings, then Diagnostics to get to the page that shows signal strength. And it's not listed as "signal strength," either: it's called LSRX MME. But I was apparently just supposed to know all of that.

She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over."  ???

Ah - no, I was born in Texas and our first military assignment was in Arizona - it's TWO states over.....New Mexico? 

Although if the tech support has been outsourced to India, then their grasp of minute details of geography in the USA might be a little vague.  And the way the educational system has been declining over the last umpty-ump years since *I* graduated - even some students in the USA have been left a little vague on geography outside their own city limits.....

Not to mention that western US states (especially Texas) are just so BIG. Sure, it's just a state or two away, but that can easily be the distance of a drive across a whole country in other parts of the world.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7562 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »

Not to mention that western US states (especially Texas) are just so BIG. Sure, it's just a state or two away, but that can easily be the distance of a drive across a whole country in other parts of the world.

As a Philadelphian... Ohio.  Just... Ohio.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7563 on: March 12, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
My dear friend went to Ireland last year and told me it takes around 3 hours to drive from one coast to another.  I thought about that. Now, Maryland's not as big as Texas or Pennsylvania but still, it's 3 hours from where I live to Ocean City. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7564 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Texas is about the size of France.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7565 on: March 12, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
bansidhe wrote:

"Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over.""

Telling someone just how far it is, in terms of their own geography, works in this regard.  In explaining how far someplace was from my workplace to someone newly arrived from India, I found that being able to say, "it's the distance from Bangalore to New Delhi and back, twice" got the point across.  If the tech you were speaking to was from India, the distance from Arizona to mid-Texas is Bangalore-New Delhi.  For a northeasterner, it's the distance from New York to Chicago, and so on.  It's tough for someone who's never been out west to grasp just how big the western states are.

Virg

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #7566 on: March 12, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

Tech Support Rep #2 divulged that they are located in Rochester, New York so this appears to be a case of home-grown ignorance.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Cami

« Reply #7567 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
When I was a kid, we were on one of our cross-country road trips and met a group of French tourists in about Pennsylvania. They were confused and my father was trying to help them make sense of their map. We realized that they thought the US was the same size as France. They had assumed they could drive from NY to LA in one day, max two days. We tried to explain that the US is waaaay bigger and the father's response was, "But they're the same size countries in the atlas. They both take up a page."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7568 on: March 12, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
When I was a kid, we were on one of our cross-country road trips and met a group of French tourists in about Pennsylvania. They were confused and my father was trying to help them make sense of their map. We realized that they thought the US was the same size as France. They had assumed they could drive from NY to LA in one day, max two days. We tried to explain that the US is waaaay bigger and the father's response was, "But they're the same size countries in the atlas. They both take up a page."
British maps are even worse.  We had a UK couple ask if they could see Niagara Falls in the morning and drive to the Grand Canyon that afternoon.

DH worked it wrong the other way.  I wanted to go see something in Yorkshire the first week we were there, and he "didn't want to drive all that way because there would be no time to see anything once we got there."  He'd looked at the UK map and thought it was about 60 miles away.  It was about 5.

Re NY to LA -- Google maps says it's about 40 hours, so you CAN do it in about 2 days.  But that means driving straight through, changing off drivers when one gets tired, sleeping in the passenger seat, and getting meals at fast food places to eat in the car, and bathroom breaks only when you stop for food or fuel.  We made it from Baltimore to Pendleton, Oregon in 51 hours, stopping for restaurant meals and bathroom breaks. That was with 4 drivers, and in a minivan with the center seat removed so that one passenger could sleep on padding on the floor. Never again!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:15:42 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7569 on: March 12, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
I ordered a new iPod and went to fill in the delivery information. All my mail is sent to my PO Box (we don't have the option of home mail delivery in my town) and for bigger-ticket stuff like that, I kind of like the security. Unfortunately FedEx would not let me enter a PO Box, so I had to enter my home address. Sigh, fine.

The day it was supposed to be delivered, they didn't even try to bring it to my house. They just left it--guess where--at the post office. What the...argh.
Many years ago, my car broke down in a tiny town (population about 200) in the middle of nowhere. Several people stopped to help, including a couple who apologized that they had no spare room for me, assured me that the rooms for rent over the local bar were quite respectable (they were), and insisted I join them for an evening at a town picnic in the next county.

I wanted to thank them, so I asked for their address, saying I wanted to be proper and send a thank you note. (I actually wanted to send a gift.) They didn't know their own address. Everyone in town had a post office box and the postmistress knew who had what box, so townfolks just gave out their address as "John Smith, Tinytown, [state, ZIP code]." These nice people, who had lived there all their lives, had never bothered to learn their PO Box number. Besides, you don't need to send us any thanks, we were happy to help out.

Fortunately, I spotted a magazine in their house with the correct address on the label and I was able to send them a food specialty from my home town that I knew would be very hard for them to find.

On the travel board where I hang out, we get that geographic confusion a lot. The most recent that I recall was someone who wanted to take 2 or 3 days to visit the Grand Canyon--departing from Chicago. It would take about 6 hours just to fly to a nearby city and drive to the Canyon, so the round trip is almost 2 days in itself. This map is helpful in showing people from Western Europe the scale issue.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #7570 on: March 12, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
When my mom was growing up on a farm during WWII, they named the pigs which were destined to become pork chops Hitler and Mussolini, so no one would get too attached to them.

My friend's father is the source of a few brain-hurting anecdotes. They raised goats, and he carefully labeled all the packages of meat in the freezer with the names of the dearly departed. So one night they might have Millie for dinner, and the next night it might be Bob.

If you'd said sheep, or pig, I'd think your friend and I might have some relatives in common. I can't tell you how many times I got sent to my grandma's deep freeze to get a package of "Wilbur Butt Roast" or "Shank of Fluffy".
Utah

Shalamar

« Reply #7571 on: March 12, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
That reminds me of Betty MacDonald's book The Egg and I.  She deliberately stayed away from her farm on the day that her husband was slaughtering the pigs, because she'd become very fond of them.  When she returned, her husband greeted her with a pig's head in each hand, asking her to make head cheese out of them.  He was bewildered when she shrieked in horror and ran away.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7572 on: March 12, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
 Texas is 268,580 square miles. There is a reason we measure distance in time.

You could fit DC and the smallest 13 states in Texas and still have about 34,434 square miles left over. If Texas was a independent country today it would be about the rank around 76 largest.

My boss at the museum came from back east. One day he decided to drive and see Eden, Texas a small town outside of San Angelo. He thought it would take 10 - 15 min - and ended up thinking he had driven into the Twilight Zone with the same scenery going on a loop for ever - and Eden is only 45 min away.

Another time we were all going to an see a museum in Amarillo for a meeting. Every native born Texan showed up with a cooler of drinks for the van - just in case. He got that it was a 4 hour drive there and 4 hours back - but not just how lonely US 84 was going to be. Especially if something happened between towns. Given the timing deer were a big hazard both ways.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #7573 on: March 12, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
  When people ask me why I buy certified free range meat I've learnt to reply that "Happy meat is yummy meat". If I phrase it that way it seems more acceptable to people. Go figure.
It's a proven fact: stress hormones decrease the quality of meat. Thus, Temple Grandin's work on improving livestock handling in slaughterhouses.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7574 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
I was having fun playing with the map overlay of the United States versus Europe, and commented to my husband that it was amazing just how much an impact England had on world history, considering its size, and he reminded me to consider population density.  England's is something like 674, the United States' is like 88.  Maryland is somewhat comparable at 595 (I grew up in Maryland), which makes sense, as Maryland does have expanses of horse farms, forest, etc., but they just aren't huge wide endless expanses like you see in the western U.S.