Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1046368 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7620 on: March 13, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
Then there was the guy who ended up on a flight to Auckland, instead of Oakland.
I can't believe he signed a contract.  Guy gets on the wrong plane. The airline flies him back home the next day. What would be interesting about THAT movie?

Oh my gosh that could so drag into a 2 hour film: he's on the wrong flight (its a long flight) and he makes friends with other passengers who offer to help him out (he after all has no money left because he thought he was headed home, he has no luggage because that got on the correct flight, no where to stay because its 24 hours before the next flight home, maybe some passport issues, etc) and the cute flight attendant shows him around Auckland and all its charms during his layover. Insert several funny cultural differences, a few tender moments, fly him home where something dramatic is waiting for him, and end with him and the flight attendant being in love.

Jocelyn

« Reply #7621 on: March 13, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
But it ceases to be HIS story, if you start adding in all sorts of interesting things that didn't happen.  :D
I agree that an interesting movie could be made about a guy getting on the wrong plane...I just don't think that HIS story is interesting enough. The idea of someone getting on the wrong plane isn't exactly copyrighted by this guy, so why a screenwriter would have to pay him for HIS story doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, now with security and everything, it's no longer possible to get on the wrong plane...

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7622 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
But it ceases to be HIS story, if you start adding in all sorts of interesting things that didn't happen.  :D
I agree that an interesting movie could be made about a guy getting on the wrong plane...I just don't think that HIS story is interesting enough. The idea of someone getting on the wrong plane isn't exactly copyrighted by this guy, so why a screenwriter would have to pay him for HIS story doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, now with security and everything, it's no longer possible to get on the wrong plane...
Only thing I can think of is that audiences seem to be more interested in "real" stories even if the reality is way off from the movie based upon it. There was a nice little film a little over a year ago called "We Bought a Zoo" starring Matt Damon, that was "based upon a true story." About the only thing "true" was that a family bought a failing zoo. But most of the rest was made up -- the writers created new characters and eliminated many real family members and juggled time lines and circumstances all around. It's a shame because the real story sounded more dramatic. The screenwriter would just be paying to use this guy's name so he can bill it as a "true story."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7623 on: March 13, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
Or a parallel one -- "if it isn't true, it ought to be" -- a tale of air-travelling mess-ups and confusion by which a couple who thought they were flying to Sydney, Australia; ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

This one is true.  I remember reading about it in the paper.  It was when buying your own tickets on-line was just becoming the thing to do, rather than using a travel agent.  So they didn't get on the wrong plane; they bought the wrong tickets.  And didn't realize until they arrived.  But in true Maritime fashion, the locals made sure they had a wonderful time.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Miss Tickle

« Reply #7624 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

In high school, we often had foreign exchange students and one was a guy from Holland who ran on the cross country team during his time here.  One guy, when we were getting to know him, asked "So if you're from Holland, what are you called, Hollish?"  ::)  The guy was a joker so I'm not convinced he was serious. Least I hope not, as he was a senior at the time and I'd sure hope he knew by 12th grade that "Hollish" is not the right term.

If it ever comes up again, the answer is "Hollandaise".  :D

Wait, does that make me a Danish?

Re: Auckland/Oakland. I could see that as being problematic, seeing as most people don't carry their passports around all the time.

I've been catching up on the last few pages, and it surprises me how many people don't know stuff that I thought was common knowledge, or at least worthy of a little investigation, which is pretty brain-hurty.

selkiewoman

« Reply #7625 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
A few years ago, our community hosted a family who were bound for St. George's, Grenada, and somehow wound up in St. George, UT, instead.  They were a little bemused to find themselves part of a dusty and arid landscape when they had expected a tropical paradise.

Luckily, it was all sorted out in a few days, and they were apparently very impressed by the friendly and hospitable treatment they experienced. :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7626 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
I think it is time to move on. This geography and people's lack of understanding distances thing always gets caught up - and I help!

We live on a boulivard, and the traffic patterns are enforced. I was in the left lane of our southbound road to turn left. A nice SUV from out of state with a 40 something couple in it poised straight at me in  my lane. I really think the driver didn't realize it is a  boulivard and that the northbound lane was 8 ft to his right and he was pointed directly at the "Keep Right" sign. He finally got irritated and drove onto the median to pass me on my left. It's soggy from the melting snow, so there may be some damage to the median.

I still wonder what he thought, if he realized what happened, and if he was properly embarrassed.

As he was out of state, even tough the road is clearly marked, I'm not too upset with him.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7627 on: March 13, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »
I'm sitting in a new coffeeshop right now - my first time here, but I really like it.  Good coffee, good cheesecake, live music, and they're actually open past 9 PM  :P  Tonight is open mic night.

So a group of guys show up lugging instruments for the open mic.  The coffeeshop employee ("CE") who had been fooling around on his guitar invites them up to the stage.

CE: Welcome on up here!  So what's your name?
Instrument guy ("IG"): I'm Billy Joel.  (Note: IG is several decades too young and several shades too dark to be "the" Billy Joel  :))
CE: Oh.  Wait, really? [jokingly] Cool - I'm a big fan of your work, dude!
IG: Than-wait, is that a real dude?
CE: You're kidding me, right?
IG: No, dude, I just make up a new name to perform by every night.  I didn't know it was a real guy.  Is he famous?
CE: Seriously?  I'm tempted to play some Billy Joel for you now before I let you up on this stage.
IG: So he is a real guy?
CE: I'm assigning you some homework.

So yeah, IG and his band are actually pretty good (if un-Billy-Joel-like  ;)) but I really think IG was serious that he didn't know who Billy Joel is  :o

ETA: they're doing some sort of jazz/rap fusion thing which sounds really interesting.  The female member of their band just slid a scat line in about feeling invisible and forgotten, like Billy Joel  ;D  Instrument Guy just gave her one of "those looks"   :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:19:28 PM by Slartibartfast »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7628 on: March 14, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

Ouch. You made my brain hurt with this!

Pennsylvania was originally a parcel of land given to William Penn, who was a Quaker. He allowed Amish and Mennonite settlers to move in as well as Quakers, and he established a treaty with the Indian tribes of the Delaware Valley which sits on the borders of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. He wanted access to the coast.

I had to look the state lines up - my religion classes were a VERY long time ago, and I didn't recall Delaware (the state) featured in any of them. I was starting to wonder if the teacher had missed something...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7629 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »
I'm sitting in a new coffeeshop right now - my first time here, but I really like it.  Good coffee, good cheesecake, live music, and they're actually open past 9 PM  :P  Tonight is open mic night.

So a group of guys show up lugging instruments for the open mic.  The coffeeshop employee ("CE") who had been fooling around on his guitar invites them up to the stage.

CE: Welcome on up here!  So what's your name?
Instrument guy ("IG"): I'm Billy Joel.  (Note: IG is several decades too young and several shades too dark to be "the" Billy Joel  :))
CE: Oh.  Wait, really? [jokingly] Cool - I'm a big fan of your work, dude!
IG: Than-wait, is that a real dude?
CE: You're kidding me, right?
IG: No, dude, I just make up a new name to perform by every night.  I didn't know it was a real guy.  Is he famous?
CE: Seriously?  I'm tempted to play some Billy Joel for you now before I let you up on this stage.
IG: So he is a real guy?
CE: I'm assigning you some homework.

So yeah, IG and his band are actually pretty good (if un-Billy-Joel-like  ;)) but I really think IG was serious that he didn't know who Billy Joel is  :o

ETA: they're doing some sort of jazz/rap fusion thing which sounds really interesting.  The female member of their band just slid a scat line in about feeling invisible and forgotten, like Billy Joel  ;D  Instrument Guy just gave her one of "those looks"   :P

That sounds awesome!

Bet he gets teased about that for a while. ;D

PeterM

« Reply #7630 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »
In fact, Texas, when it joined the union, reserved the right to, at any future date, break up into five states for this exact purpose. It would increase our representation in the Senate from two to ten.

Except no it wouldn't,  unless you think those five separate states would forever after vote in lockstep with each other instead of going their own way and looking out for their own interests. Sure, those interests would be similar because they're in the same geographic area, but that in no way guarantees political cooperation on all important issues.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7631 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06:33 AM »
In fact, Texas, when it joined the union, reserved the right to, at any future date, break up into five states for this exact purpose. It would increase our representation in the Senate from two to ten.

Except no it wouldn't,  unless you think those five separate states would forever after vote in lockstep with each other instead of going their own way and looking out for their own interests. Sure, those interests would be similar because they're in the same geographic area, but that in no way guarantees political cooperation on all important issues.

And while, as a whole, they may get stronger in the Senate, they'd individually get weaker in the House.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7632 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »

Pennsylvania was originally a parcel of land given to William Penn, who was a Quaker. He allowed Amish and Mennonite settlers to move in as well as Quakers, and he established a treaty with the Indian tribes of the Delaware Valley which sits on the borders of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. He wanted access to the coast.

I had to look the state lines up - my religion classes were a VERY long time ago, and I didn't recall Delaware (the state) featured in any of them. I was starting to wonder if the teacher had missed something...

Well I'm willing to admit that either 1) I remembered it incorrectly or 2) the show got it wrong.  Which is possible, I think it's on the History Channel which isn't all it used to be.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7633 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »

Well I'm willing to admit that either 1) I remembered it incorrectly or 2) the show got it wrong.  Which is possible, I think it's on the History Channel which isn't all it used to be.

If they were trying to drum up some excitement for the topic "Religious groups were wary of each other and stayed on their own land" comes across as much more titillating than "Everyone was friendly and they put the state line where it was convenient." :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7634 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Wouldn't put it past them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata