Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1053553 times)

Shea

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7650 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Here's my brain hurt.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is in France.  So why is the nickname and mascot of Notre Dame University the "Fighting Irish"?

Notre Dame means Our Lady and is a reference to the Virgin Mary.  The Notre Dame in Paris and the University in Indiana are run by different catholic orders who use the same name. 

There are other Notre Dame colleges, universities and schools in the US which are all run by different catholic orders.  My cousin attends the University in Baltimore which is run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Okay, that makes sense.  I did know that Notre Dame meant Our Lady, I guess I just thought since they were using the French translation they were wanting to emulate the French.   

Learn something new! :)

It's pretty common in French-speaking countries to have a church or cathedral called "Notre-Dame de ::something::", just like in English-speaking countries Catholic churches are often called "Our Lady of the Mountain" (the church in my hometown) or something like that. Here in Montreal, the most important Catholic church is the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montreal. Notre Dame de Paris is simply the most famous Notre Dame Cathedral :).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7651 on: March 15, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
I remembered one.  Years ago when I was at work I started feeling nauseous.  The nurse on site (it was an adult day care) asked me if I took any medications that could make me nauseous. I told her no, and that I've been taking one prescription for pretty much my whole life and it's never made me queasy as of yet and neither did my other meds that I took to stay focused. 

The manager said "Take the one that keeps you focused at night."
Me: Nah, won't work, it keeps me alert, so it would just keep me awake at night. Besides, it doesn't make me queasy.
Manager: No really, it will work, take it at night and by the time the effects wear off, you'll feel fine!
Me: Again, it would keep me awake when I'm supposed to be sleeping.
Manager: Well fine, don't take my advice!

Well, I didn't.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #7652 on: March 15, 2013, 03:42:46 PM »
I have laughed at  that but now I'm parenting two children who have to eat everything cut up fine and in soup.  So I'm probably going to end up having the same conversation about carrots.
Someone told me that carrots scream when pulled out of the ground.  >:D

http://cheezburger.com/7075196160

Is it horrible that this comic makes me want to cry every time I read it?  Admittedly, I have a 5-month-old.
I have a 3-month old. Can I cry along with you?m

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7653 on: March 15, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »
This only made my brain hurt a little bit.

Many years ago, when I was young and single, I had 2 small dogs.  I was in the habit of peeling carrots into the air so the dogs could catch the peelings, which they loved to eat.  I didn't give them carrots, but it was fun to peel carrots in the back yard and watch them jump in the air to catch the peelings.

I left the dogs with my father when I went on vacation.  He had them out in the garden with him while he weeded and tended to the vegetable garden.  Not knowing of their love for carrots, he jokingly pulled a carrot out of the ground and offered each of them a bite.  He was a bit surprised when they ate the carrot.  He was more surprised the next day when he found the carrot patch looking like a rototiller went through.

They stopped at the radishes.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Coruscation

« Reply #7654 on: March 15, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
This one's kind of sweet but kind of sad.

We're currently employing a group of ten backpackers in their early twenties and they came up from the paddock to wait for the bus. one came over and asked my SIL if she was BIL's wife and excitedly reported to th rest that she was. She must have looked puzzled because they went on to explain.

Everyone had been talking and BIL mentioned that he had been married nearly thrity years. The backpackers were all surprised and said something like "It was hard but you made it?" and BIL corrected them. "No, it was fun." They were all quite amazed as they had never known any man who had been married that long who said he enjoyed it. Apparently they all make 'ball and chain' type jokes.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7655 on: March 15, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
This one's kind of sweet but kind of sad.

We're currently employing a group of ten backpackers in their early twenties and they came up from the paddock to wait for the bus. one came over and asked my SIL if she was BIL's wife and excitedly reported to th rest that she was. She must have looked puzzled because they went on to explain.

Everyone had been talking and BIL mentioned that he had been married nearly thrity years. The backpackers were all surprised and said something like "It was hard but you made it?" and BIL corrected them. "No, it was fun." They were all quite amazed as they had never known any man who had been married that long who said he enjoyed it. Apparently they all make 'ball and chain' type jokes.

DH and I had gone out with a few of his coworkers. This one particular guy, who I'd never met and DH had never socialized with, came along. I'll call him Jerk. He was married but his wife stayed home and he spent most of the time at the bar flirting with someone. It was explained that he's a big cheater.

Anyway, DH and I sat at the table with everyone else, joking and chatting. The next day at work someone who hadn't been there approached DH and said "You have a girlfriend?" DH was confused and said "No, I have a wife, you know that." This guy says "That's what I thought but Jerk said he went out with you last night and met your girlfriend." DH straightened that out and then shortly thereafter ran into Jerk and said "Stop telling people you went out with me and my girlfriend. That was my wife!" Jerk said "That was your wife? I knew you were married but I just assumed the lady you were with was your girlfriend. You were way too nice to her for that to be your wife!"

And yes, he's very divorced now (apparently it was pretty ugly, go figure).

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7656 on: March 15, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
And yes, he's very divorced now (apparently it was pretty ugly, go figure).
I'm shocked! How could she let a prize like him get away? >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7657 on: March 15, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
Yeah, color me shocked she'd want to leave a guy like that!!  ;) >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BB-VA

« Reply #7658 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
This only made my brain hurt a little bit.

Many years ago, when I was young and single, I had 2 small dogs.  I was in the habit of peeling carrots into the air so the dogs could catch the peelings, which they loved to eat.  I didn't give them carrots, but it was fun to peel carrots in the back yard and watch them jump in the air to catch the peelings.

I left the dogs with my father when I went on vacation.  He had them out in the garden with him while he weeded and tended to the vegetable garden.  Not knowing of their love for carrots, he jokingly pulled a carrot out of the ground and offered each of them a bite.  He was a bit surprised when they ate the carrot.  He was more surprised the next day when he found the carrot patch looking like a rototiller went through.

They stopped at the radishes.

The bolded area made me laugh.  That is what my MIL calls Rottweilers - Rototiller dogs.

(She either can't remember or can't pronounce Rottweiler)
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Tia2

« Reply #7659 on: March 15, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
In regard to the Oakland/Auckland mix up, I can see how this could happen.

If it is the flight I think it is, when you get off the London to California plane, anyone going on to Auckland used to be shuffled into a transit lounge (with a dedicated immigration official).  They do check tickets getting back on but I suspect that may be as a result of this incident.  The staff letting you onto the plane know that the people involved haven't set foot outside a locked room so they might not be as careful as they could be.

It's left to the lounge, right to general immigration.

Of course, last time I flew that route they let us out into the body of the airport so tickets were checked at the gate.

Passports wouldn't have been checked after he cleared US immigration because he would have had to have one to either get past check in or get on the plane from London.

Why he'd think enough people travelling from London were going to Oakland that they all needed a dedicated lounge and a massive intercontinental plane is another issue.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #7660 on: March 15, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »
In regard to the Oakland/Auckland mix up, I can see how this could happen.

If it is the flight I think it is, when you get off the London to California plane, anyone going on to Auckland used to be shuffled into a transit lounge (with a dedicated immigration official).  They do check tickets getting back on but I suspect that may be as a result of this incident.  The staff letting you onto the plane know that the people involved haven't set foot outside a locked room so they might not be as careful as they could be.

It's left to the lounge, right to general immigration.

Of course, last time I flew that route they let us out into the body of the airport so tickets were checked at the gate.

Passports wouldn't have been checked after he cleared US immigration because he would have had to have one to either get past check in or get on the plane from London.

Why he'd think enough people travelling from London were going to Oakland that they all needed a dedicated lounge and a massive intercontinental plane is another issue.

I'd put it down to fatigue and jet lag (especially if he's one of us unfortunate people who can't sleep on long flights, even if it's night by our body clocks). Half-asleep and knowing he had a connecting flight, it's plausible that someone would hear something that sounded like "Oakland" and just follow people onto the next plane.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7661 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
My brain got broken (possibly permanently) at work this afternoon. 

Male Coworker (MC) sent out an email saying he was going to be out Monday and possibly Tuesday.  Annoying Coworker (AC) asked why and he said his grandmother had died.  The rest of us said, "Oh, that's too bad.  I'm sorry to hear that" types of phrases.  AC said, "oh that's too bad", paused for a moment and then said, "Was she very old then?"  :o  MC said, "Yeah, she was kind of old, she's had Alzheimer's for awhile".  AC said, "Oh, well it was for the best, if she had that".  :o

*pause* 

AC brightly says, "So how old are your parents?".  MC sounds kind of stunned, but answers.  AC continues to grill MC about his parents, any siblings he has, any siblings his parents have, who will be at the funeral, does he know who the executor of the estate is, and on and on and on.  Most of us by the end were just sitting with dropped jaws!  MC finally got away by just standing up and leaving.  AC works for an additional hour beyond when MC leaves, so couldn't follow him out, but looked very disappointed that her inquisition had to end. 

Now I know who not to answer questions from in the future!  And seriously, who thinks it's okay to grill someone about their family when they've just told you a family member has died?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7662 on: March 15, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
My brain got broken (possibly permanently) at work this afternoon. 

Male Coworker (MC) sent out an email saying he was going to be out Monday and possibly Tuesday.  Annoying Coworker (AC) asked why and he said his grandmother had died.  The rest of us said, "Oh, that's too bad.  I'm sorry to hear that" types of phrases.  AC said, "oh that's too bad", paused for a moment and then said, "Was she very old then?"  :o  MC said, "Yeah, she was kind of old, she's had Alzheimer's for awhile".  AC said, "Oh, well it was for the best, if she had that".  :o

*pause* 

Having had a grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's, I can understand that comment.  The disease only gets worse as it progresses and it's awful to watch someone you love go through that.  When we finally let her go it was after she contracted pneumonia and medicine wasn't doing anything for her.  An uncle said he usually asks the family of patients dealing with illnesses like that one "Would this person be happy to see themselves this way?" Grandma really would have hated to see herself like this and so we knew it was time to let her go.

Though he didn't quite phrase it in the best way, did he?

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7663 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »

Unfortunately he was flying from LA to Oakland, and could not tell Immigration here how he managed without a passport or boarding pass.  This was before 9/11 though.

I have gone to get on a plane from LA to Auckland, and had the sky cap query why we need international departures.  To the NZ ear there is a distinct difference between Auckland and Oakland but perhaps you need a kiwi accent to pull it off.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7664 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

AC brightly says, "So how old are your parents?".  MC sounds kind of stunned, but answers.  AC continues to grill MC about his parents, any siblings he has, any siblings his parents have, who will be at the funeral, does he know who the executor of the estate is, and on and on and on.  ...

I kind of agree with Piratelvr1121 above about the Alzheimer's thing.  Although your CW phrased it incredibly clumsily, his point has a certain validity.

However the rest of the inquisition was just way over the top.  What business is it of his how old anyone's parents are or who will be at the funeral?  And it most CERTAINLY is none of his business who the executor of the estate may be!!  Good grief!