News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 05:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2101118 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7815 on: March 22, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
A friend of mine has a rather rare set of twins, and she gets to the point where she simply hates trying to explain it.  For whatever random reason, her egg split *before* fertilization.  This isn't supposed to happen, but it can, and did in her case.  Then, both of the new eggs were fertilized by different sperm.  The boys are technically fraternal twins, but are closer than most since the egg half of their genetic make up is identical.

Cool! I'll ask my husband if he covers this in the section on genetics in the biology class he teaches. (He's a DNA analyst who teaches as a second job.)

He does cover several cases in which women have had "false twins": two babies conceived at roughly the same time but each with a different father.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #7816 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
Not an exchange with a person but an exchange with a airline.

We've just returned from a vacation and, for some reason, Jetblue has seen fit to award me a PhD. On our documents, Mr. Thipu was listed as 'Mr'.  I was listed as 'Dr. Thipu'. 

We have no idea how that happened.     

Have you ever looked yourself up on one of those sites that supposedly mine information?  I did and they had my name and address perfect.  (OK, so I order a whole lot over the internet.) But they have me as five years younger, divorced and with three teenagers.  Um, what?  Is that because I sometimes like reading immature literature?
They've probably got your information conflated with someone else.  My parents bought a house several years ago.  It happened that their last name and the last  name of the sellers were identical.  Let's say it was "Brown." So Spokeo (or wherever) says that they are all living together in this house, Mary Brown (Mom),  Henry Brown (Dad), and some people named Joseph and Dorothy Brown.  Mom's name & age are correct, as are Dad's, where they've lived before is correct, where they are living now is correct (they've moved to assisted living.)  But Joe and Dot seem to be along for the ride, and I KNOW there isn't room for them in that tiny apartment, unless they're sleeping on the shelf above the coat closet!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #7817 on: March 22, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »
A friend of mine has a rather rare set of twins, and she gets to the point where she simply hates trying to explain it.  For whatever random reason, her egg split *before* fertilization.  This isn't supposed to happen, but it can, and did in her case.  Then, both of the new eggs were fertilized by different sperm.  The boys are technically fraternal twins, but are closer than most since the egg half of their genetic make up is identical.

That's pretty col, in a science-geeky kind of way =)

Hmmmmm

« Reply #7818 on: March 22, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

That's pretty col, in a science-geeky kind of way =)
I can understand her hating to try and explain that.

I have a neighbor who has 3 boys, the two oldest are twins. One twin is really tall and hefty and  looks identical to their mom while the other twin is smaller in stature and resembles his dad. The younger son looks just like the larger twin brother and is the same size as him.  It is so confusing trying to keep it straight when you first meet them.

jpcher

« Reply #7819 on: March 22, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
A mini cube moving brain hurt...

There are eight desks in our section of the office.  Three of us were asked to relocate from our current desks to totally different areas within the same large office so that the remaining desks could be given over to people who all work on the same project this year.  Some of those new people were supposed to be coming from other buildings a few miles away.

Since I was swapping to a relatively close desk, we got it done pretty quickly the following week.  Then a week later, I was told I could have my old desk back because TPTB decided instead to move that project team entirely over to one of the other buildings because there wasn't enough room in the 8-cube section after all.

They... couldn't figure out if the project team had more than 8 people in fewer than two weeks?

Also, they are now having to displace a whole new set of people to make room for this team.  Fun times.

Ah, the brain-hurtyness of TPTB!

Part of my job as a Graphic Designer is to create Welcome signs, banners, informational tour posters (there are a lot of these) and whatever is needed for proper hoopla whenever a Dignitary comes to visit our building.

Sadly, this isn't unusual, but it always hurts my brain: Today we were informed that a Dignitary is visiting our building . . . next Wednesday! All the artwork needs to be completed on Monday so that our repro department can print, etc. by Tues. afternoon for the dry-run. By the time I left today, we received information for a total of 1 tour poster.* ::)

Honestly? TPTB really didn't know about this huge event before today? Seriously? That just hurts my brain a lot.

*Guess who's going to be working a lot of OT Monday & Tuesday night. :P

Luci

« Reply #7820 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
I've always thought it would be really neat to have nearly identical twins: boy and girl whose only genetic difference was that the boy would be XY and the girl would be XX.

Of course, the probability of that heppening is probably smaller than than winning the Powerball, being struck by lightening, and being hit by a meteorite all on the same day.

You've been reading too much old Robert Heinlein. >:D

BB-VA

« Reply #7821 on: March 22, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
I've always thought it would be really neat to have nearly identical twins: boy and girl whose only genetic difference was that the boy would be XY and the girl would be XX.

Of course, the probability of that heppening is probably smaller than than winning the Powerball, being struck by lightening, and being hit by a meteorite all on the same day.

You've been reading too much old Robert Heinlein. >:D

Well...Since he passed on a few years ago, there ain't no NEW Robert Heinlein.

:'(
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Garden Goblin

« Reply #7822 on: March 22, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
My mother was in Florida, in Hendry County, and wanted to go to the beach.

So she drove north.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #7823 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »

So she drove north.

This would work in Pittsburgh, PA.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7824 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
I've had people say that we just keep on having the same child over and over.  Which is funny to me, because, to me, they all look completely different!  Sure, they have roughly the same color hair and eyes, but their facial features are all different.  But then, I have a friend with four kids, and the only kid I can reliably tell apart from the others is the boy, because the rest are girls.  I'm sure to her, all her girls are unique and look totally different.  So I guess some of it's familiarity.  :)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Mal

« Reply #7825 on: March 23, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »

So she drove north.

This reminds me:

A friend and I went to Figueres, Spain, on vacation. On the last day we decided we had to see the sunset over the ocean, so we walked half a mile to the beach.

Well, Figueres is on the east coast...

We half-heartedly thought about getting up at 4 a.m. to at least watch the sunrise, but we ended up sleeping in instead ;)

Adelaide

« Reply #7826 on: March 23, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »
I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

KenveeB

« Reply #7827 on: March 23, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

I remember going to dinner with a group and this one pompous guy made a big deal about how he's always so nice and considerate to the waitstaff and always says thank you, etc. I remember thinking, "Just say thank you and don't make a big deal out of it, like the rest of us do!"

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #7828 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »

What is she, a racehorse? 

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #7829 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
I think of breeding and it starts getting me thinking of various things. Cousins marrying cousins to keep the blood pure, and the Death Eaters of the Wizarding World who wanted only pure bloods to learn magic at Hogwarts.  And as Hagrid said, there wasn't a wizard alive that didn't have some muggle blood in them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.