Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1055565 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7845 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
I've always thought it would be really neat to have nearly identical twins: boy and girl whose only genetic difference was that the boy would be XY and the girl would be XX.

Of course, the probability of that heppening is probably smaller than than winning the Powerball, being struck by lightening, and being hit by a meteorite all on the same day.

You've been reading too much old Robert Heinlein. >:D

BB-VA

« Reply #7846 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
I've always thought it would be really neat to have nearly identical twins: boy and girl whose only genetic difference was that the boy would be XY and the girl would be XX.

Of course, the probability of that heppening is probably smaller than than winning the Powerball, being struck by lightening, and being hit by a meteorite all on the same day.

You've been reading too much old Robert Heinlein. >:D

Well...Since he passed on a few years ago, there ain't no NEW Robert Heinlein.

:'(
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Garden Goblin

« Reply #7847 on: March 22, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
My mother was in Florida, in Hendry County, and wanted to go to the beach.

So she drove north.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7848 on: March 22, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »

So she drove north.

This would work in Pittsburgh, PA.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7849 on: March 22, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
I've had people say that we just keep on having the same child over and over.  Which is funny to me, because, to me, they all look completely different!  Sure, they have roughly the same color hair and eyes, but their facial features are all different.  But then, I have a friend with four kids, and the only kid I can reliably tell apart from the others is the boy, because the rest are girls.  I'm sure to her, all her girls are unique and look totally different.  So I guess some of it's familiarity.  :)

Mal

« Reply #7850 on: March 23, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

So she drove north.

This reminds me:

A friend and I went to Figueres, Spain, on vacation. On the last day we decided we had to see the sunset over the ocean, so we walked half a mile to the beach.

Well, Figueres is on the east coast...

We half-heartedly thought about getting up at 4 a.m. to at least watch the sunrise, but we ended up sleeping in instead ;)

Adelaide

« Reply #7851 on: March 23, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7852 on: March 23, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

I remember going to dinner with a group and this one pompous guy made a big deal about how he's always so nice and considerate to the waitstaff and always says thank you, etc. I remember thinking, "Just say thank you and don't make a big deal out of it, like the rest of us do!"

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #7853 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

What is she, a racehorse? 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7854 on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
I think of breeding and it starts getting me thinking of various things. Cousins marrying cousins to keep the blood pure, and the Death Eaters of the Wizarding World who wanted only pure bloods to learn magic at Hogwarts.  And as Hagrid said, there wasn't a wizard alive that didn't have some muggle blood in them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bottlecaps

« Reply #7855 on: March 23, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
From the St. Joseph News-Press (Missouri). It's an online comment from someone who is opposed to hunting:

"This is to all of the hunters who kill animals for food. Shame on you. You ought to just go to the store and buy meat that was made there where no animals were harmed."

Source

I know this was posted a couple weeks back, but I just had to chime in. That is VERY brain-hurty. How does someone even justify not knowing that all meat involves killing an animal? The fact of the matter is, the meat you buy in the supermarket comes from animals who were more then likely harmed more than a deer, bird, or squirrel that lived a happy, natural life out in the woods until a hunter's bullet got it. (I speak strictly of factory-farmed supermarket meat there, not meat that comes from small-time farmers whose livestock actually does get to see the world outside of an cage or barn.) I'd much rather have my meat from the wild or from a smaller farm (for that reason, actually) than from a supermarket, any day.

I do greatly apologize if that seemed soapbox-y or anything. :-\ I just can't believe some people's rationale!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:32:52 PM by Bottlecaps »
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

mmswm

« Reply #7856 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
Brain bits on the ceiling here...

In the world according to my mother, the movie "The Rise of the Guardians" is too violent for her still-minor children to watch, but the History Channel's "Bible" mini-series is a must-see.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7857 on: March 23, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
Brain bits on the ceiling here...

In the world according to my mother, the movie "The Rise of the Guardians" is too violent for her still-minor children to watch, but the History Channel's "Bible" mini-series is a must-see.

I can almost see the point, since The Bible is based on a religious text, but yeah, still brain - hurty. Ben - Hur is considered a classic Christian movie, and it has a death scene (not of Christ, of someone in a chariot race) that would shock most people today. I would be very careful about letting children watch such a movie (or, in this case, a TV series)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mmswm

« Reply #7858 on: March 23, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
The brain-hurty part is that she objected to a cute, fun movie on the grounds of *violence*.  I don't consider this mini-series useless, but brutality and violence is a very prominent part of many  Bible stories, particularly those from the Old Testament.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7859 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
The brain-hurty part is that she objected to a cute, fun movie on the grounds of *violence*.  I don't consider this mini-series useless, but brutality and violence is a very prominent part of many  Bible stories, particularly those from the Old Testament.

I know. I hadn't seen Rise of the Guardians, so I didn't feel qualified to talk about whether it was too violent for young children. FTR, I watched Ben - Hur at 6 and saw my first R - rated movie at 13/14 (it was The Godfather), so what I think is too violent may differ greatly from someone else's ideas.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter