Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1039423 times)

mmswm

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7860 on: March 23, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
"Rise of the Guardians" is basically a story of Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman and Jack Frost joining forces to defeat the Boogy Man and save childhood magic.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7861 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
"Rise of the Guardians" is basically a story of Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman and Jack Frost joining forces to defeat the Boogy Man and save childhood magic.

So no beating Philistines with a jawbone there?  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Iris

« Reply #7862 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

Is it possible that she's joking?

So no beating Philistines with a jawbone there?  :P

Oh, come on, beating people to death with a bone is SUCH a good family story! It must be, it's in the bible  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7863 on: March 23, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
I've always thought it would be really neat to have nearly identical twins: boy and girl whose only genetic difference was that the boy would be XY and the girl would be XX.

Of course, the probability of that heppening is probably smaller than than winning the Powerball, being struck by lightening, and being hit by a meteorite all on the same day.

You've been reading too much old Robert Heinlein. >:D

Well...Since he passed on a few years ago, there ain't no NEW Robert Heinlein.

:'(

Which is one of the tragedies of the twenty-first century.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know a girl who will NOT stop talking about how classy she is. And what a lady she is. If you have to say it over and over then it seems like you're really insecure about it. I like her, but I can see the weird expressions on our friends' faces when she says stuff like that, because she's usually stone-cold drunk at the time, or she's just finished referring to someone using multiple swear words while she insists that they don't have "good breeding".

I ran into someone like that in training program for a job - only she kept telling us that she was a "genius" and her husband was a rich lawyer.  She was smart - the licensing exam had an 85% failure rate and she did pass it on the first try.  So did I.  Which might or might mean anything....

Someone who met her husband told us that he was really a paralegal.

And she got fired for faking the computer records on her job about three months after we finished our training classes - so she wasn't smart enough to really DO the work after passing the license exam, apparently.

Snarky and Evil snickered for weeks.......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:42:05 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

DaisyG

« Reply #7864 on: March 23, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
The brain-hurty part is that she objected to a cute, fun movie on the grounds of *violence*.  I don't consider this mini-series useless, but brutality and violence is a very prominent part of many  Bible stories, particularly those from the Old Testament.

The most brutal story I remember is in the Old Testament - Judges chapter 19. I almost summarised it here in white but thought that might even be too much for some people as you can often see whited out text in replies.

Adelaide

« Reply #7865 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »

Is it possible that she's joking?

Nope. She's being completely serious. It's really confusing and I'm not sure how she doesn't realize that she's doing the exact opposite of someone with class/good breeding/manners would do. I'm not perfect and I certainly don't live up to the ideal standard, but she seems to think that she can say that she does and everyone should believe her.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7866 on: March 23, 2013, 09:49:23 PM »
I ran into someone like that in training program for a job - only she kept telling us that she was a "genius" and her husband was a rich lawyer.  She was smart - the licensing exam had an 85% failure rate and she did pass it on the first try.  So did I.  Which might or might mean anything....

::)  That's a pet peeve of mine. I'm estranged from part of one side of my family. A relative on that side works in a law office. She might be a paralegal, but I think she's a legal secretary. She is not a lawyer. But the family always talks about how much she knows about all legal issues because "she's a lawyer." (Said in reverent tones.)

Did I mention that I am a lawyer? But apparently I don't know anything about the law compared to this relative.

Iris

« Reply #7867 on: March 23, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

::)  That's a pet peeve of mine. I'm estranged from part of one side of my family. A relative on that side works in a law office. She might be a paralegal, but I think she's a legal secretary. She is not a lawyer. But the family always talks about how much she knows about all legal issues because "she's a lawyer." (Said in reverent tones.)

Did I mention that I am a lawyer? But apparently I don't know anything about the law compared to this relative.

People get ideas in their head that you can't move with dynamite. FIL still refers mathematical questions to DH because he's "the mathematical one". The last time he did advanced maths was high school, 25 years ago. I'm a maths teacher. But DH is the mathematical one...  ::)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Barney girl

« Reply #7868 on: March 24, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »

People get ideas in their head that you can't move with dynamite. FIL still refers mathematical questions to DH because he's "the mathematical one". The last time he did advanced maths was high school, 25 years ago. I'm a maths teacher. But DH is the mathematical one...  ::)
I can't remember if I've told the story on here of my brother who tried to correct what I was saying about the law of leases because his friend had told him something different and he was a patent attorney (ie dealing with intellectual property, not land law). I had to remind him I'm a solicitor, so might be expected to know more, particularly as I was dealing with commercial property at that time. [for those not familiar, a solicitor is a qualified lawyer]

Nora

« Reply #7869 on: March 24, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »
Thanks to this thread I went and read Judges chapter 19, and now I need an adult. And brain bleach. And that machine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  >:(
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #7870 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Thanks to this thread I went and read Judges chapter 19, and now I need an adult. And brain bleach. And that machine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  >:(

Hi, I'm Tea Drinker, and I will be your adult for the afternoon. Would you like a cup of tea or hot chocolate?

(Sorry, I have no brain bleach, but maybe some nice soothing music?)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Reika

« Reply #7871 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
I don't have any brain bleach, but I do have a distraction for a conversation that made my brain break.

A bit of background:
My employer is a competitor of Aflac, we have different policies that are mainly available through employer's only. Because of that, all of our policies have the condition that the person getting the coverage needs to have worked at least 20 hours a week for the past 3 months.

I also work the internal helpline which helps the various reps with any questions they have, besides taking their escalated calls.

This particular incident I had two reps call together, not understanding why we're asking for the employer to verify the customer was actually working at the time she took out the policy.

That was the first part of the brain hurt, because they obviously didn't read the notes on the claim.
I pointed out the notes from the examiner where a doctor took her out of work a month before she signed the application, and stated he had her out of work for a couple of months after.

So to give the customer the benefit of the doubt, they're asking her employer to verify if she really was working. They ask how to explain this. Which resulted me giving the phone a look of  ::)

Keeping my annoyance to myself, I calmly say, "The way I always explain something like this to a customer is: In order to get this type of policy, you have to be actively working. Because your doctor stated he had you out of work, we're asking your employer to verify if you were working or not."

I have yet to have a customer ask me what that meant, but instead one of the reps asks, "How do I put that in layman's terms."

For a moment I was utterly speechless. That was layman's terms, so I rephrase it a couple of more times. He still doesn't get it. So in one final attempt, I try to make a little simpler, "Well, to get the policy you need to be working, if you're not working, we can't issue it. The doctor said she was out of work, we need the job to say if she was working or not."

He then said, "Don't treat me like a child."

The second rep finally spoke up, "Um, Reika, I got it from here. Bye!" He ended the conference call between the three of us. I sent a politely worded, but somewhat grumpy, email to the guy's supervisor. I don't mind when they genuinely don't get it, but his attitude combined with his refusal to look at anything just really annoyed the snot out of me.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7872 on: March 24, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »

No actual brain bleach, but this can wipe out many things, or at least fade them well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #7873 on: March 24, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Yep.  I ended up at The Brick Testament site   http://www.bricktestament.com/home.html after a few years away.  I had forgotten that it didn't just have the nice Bible stories.  There are some things Legos shouldn't do.  May not be safe for work.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mmswm

« Reply #7874 on: March 24, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »
And now my mother is all frustrated because my brother is being a horrible brat.  Violent movies do have an effect on his behavior, even the type of cartoon violence you see in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and is part of the reason she nixed the idea of  "The Rise of the Guardians".  Might it have anything to do with the fact that he's watched three episodes of the Bible miniseries this weekend?  But according to her it's okay because it comes from the Bible. *sigh*  My brain is suffering from spasms.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.  My brain just hurts.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)