Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1052996 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7875 on: March 24, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
Years ago, when Curse of the Black Pearl was the only Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I watched it frequently and my sons liked to watch it with me.   DH kept insisting that the movie was not appropriate for the boys and that it was violent and could be scary, despite the fact that they'd never acted scared when watching it.  (and they were not embarrassed to show fear in front of me, fwiw)

I came home another day to find dh watching Lord of the Rings, the one with the giant spider with them.  I told him he'd made his argument about pirates null and void right there. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Reika

« Reply #7876 on: March 24, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »

I came home another day to find dh watching Lord of the Rings, the one with the giant spider with them.  I told him he'd made his argument about pirates null and void right there.

While I agree, I do have to say something about Shelob. Mom and I went to see the LotR movies in the theater, when Shelob made her appearance, mom (a huge arachnophobe) made a face and said, "That's it? That's the giant spider I've been terrified of seeing all this time?"

cabbageweevil

« Reply #7877 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
Now I'm somewhat arachnophobic (especially when they're enormous). I kept my eyes shut throughout the part of the film in which Shelob features, except for one inadvertent -- and regretted -- moment of opening them. Different 'phobes, different responses, I suppose.

I really think I'll give film no. 2 in the "Hobbit" trilogy, a complete miss...

BarensMom

« Reply #7878 on: March 24, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
Thanks to this thread I went and read Judges chapter 19, and now I need an adult. And brain bleach. And that machine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  >:(

No actual brain bleach, but this can wipe out many things, or at least fade them well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

If you really want to bleach your brain, try the 10-hour version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlyFc79BUE

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7879 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
I remembered today the time I made the brains hurt of ALL the employees at my favorite quilt shop.

And I'm probably going to make YOUR brains hurt.  >:D I asked the quilt shop people to help me find fabric that looked like the sole of a child's sneaker.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7880 on: March 24, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
I remembered today the time I made the brains hurt of ALL the employees at my favorite quilt shop.

And I'm probably going to make YOUR brains hurt.  >:D I asked the quilt shop people to help me find fabric that looked like the sole of a child's sneaker.

Oh, that's easy!  "Babybartfast, come here.  Stand right here and hold really still and don't move!"  You're guaranteed an abstract art tableau of four-year-old footprints made from whatever mudpuddles we'd passed that morning  ;)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7881 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »

While I agree, I do have to say something about Shelob. Mom and I went to see the LotR movies in the theater, when Shelob made her appearance, mom (a huge arachnophobe) made a face and said, "That's it? That's the giant spider I've been terrified of seeing all this time?"

I cannot watch that part of the movie.  Shelob scared the carp out of me when I read the books, let alone seeing her in person, so to speak.  I had nightmares about giant spiders for a full week. 

Reika

« Reply #7882 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »

I cannot watch that part of the movie.  Shelob scared the carp out of me when I read the books, let alone seeing her in person, so to speak.  I had nightmares about giant spiders for a full week.

Let me tell you, I was pretty shocked when she said that. This is a woman who'll freak out over a tiny little spider. One that's so tiny, you can't easily identify what kind of bug it is. The movie Arachnophobia? I was more entertained by her freaking out over the movie than the movie itself.

So when she made that comment, I think  :o was the closest to my expression.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7883 on: March 25, 2013, 01:27:00 AM »

I used to play World of Warcraft, and I swear there are parts of that game that could easily kill or cure a serious arachnaphobe.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Reika

« Reply #7884 on: March 25, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »

I used to play World of Warcraft, and I swear there are parts of that game that could easily kill or cure a serious arachnaphobe.

Hehehe, in Dragon Age 2 there's a fight with a ginormous spider. Mom saw the fight and commented, "Oh god, why does it always have to be giant spiders in your games?"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7885 on: March 25, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »

Hehehe, in Dragon Age 2 there's a fight with a ginormous spider. Mom saw the fight and commented, "Oh god, why does it always have to be giant spiders in your games?"

LOL! I just watched Chamber of Secrets recently, and that reminds me of Ron Weasley saying "Why does it have to be 'follow the spider'?  Why can't it be follow the butterflies?"

Shelob scared the carp out of me.  I'm not a major arachnaphobe, as daddy long legs don't bother me, but there are a few breeds of spider that tend to be a bit hairy and big that make me shiver just thinking about them.  So both Shelob and Aragog?  Well let's just say I had a great deal of sympathy for Ron.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7886 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
Gease louise, people, we're not the same person!
I'll do you one better brain hurt - my (former) friend and I used to be asked if we were sisters. This would be one thing if we looked alike at all - but she was Peruvian, dark curly hair, olive skin, and I'm a mix of Cherokee and Finnish, so I've got dark (curly, but always up so no one would notice) curly hair, and the palest skin on the planet. I all but glow in the dark. Our faces are nothing alike, and while I was an all-natural girl (no makeup, no big jewelry, etc) she was made up and decked out to the nines every time she left the house.

How we were sisters I'd never, ever guess.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7887 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
From the St. Joseph News-Press (Missouri). It's an online comment from someone who is opposed to hunting:

"This is to all of the hunters who kill animals for food. Shame on you. You ought to just go to the store and buy meat that was made there where no animals were harmed."

Source

I know this was posted a couple weeks back, but I just had to chime in. That is VERY brain-hurty. How does someone even justify not knowing that all meat involves killing an animal? The fact of the matter is, the meat you buy in the supermarket comes from animals who were more then likely harmed more than a deer, bird, or squirrel that lived a happy, natural life out in the woods until a hunter's bullet got it. (I speak strictly of factory-farmed supermarket meat there, not meat that comes from small-time farmers whose livestock actually does get to see the world outside of an cage or barn.) I'd much rather have my meat from the wild or from a smaller farm (for that reason, actually) than from a supermarket, any day.

I do greatly apologize if that seemed soapbox-y or anything. :-\ I just can't believe some people's rationale!

I'd bet a good amount that the person who made that comment isn't ignorant about where meat comes from, they're making a sneaky dig at people who eat meat in general.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #7888 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
The spider talk reminds me of when our two daughters decided to watch Arachnaphobia downstairs with our friends' sons.  All of the kids were around 11-13 years old.  We adults were talking, and suddenly we heard a high-pitched, very girly scream.  My husband and I jumped to our feet and ran downstairs.  "(Daughter #1)!  Are you okay?"  "Yesss ... ?"  "So that must have been (Daughter #2)!  Is she okay?"  "She's fine.  The scream you heard was (friend's 11-year-old son)."

We've never let him live that down, because we're nice like that. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7889 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »

Everquest has the aptly named Terrorantula.  It's like fighting an eight legged house.  Everquest2 upgraded it.  :)