Author Topic: Appropriate Gift?  (Read 2522 times)

Betelnut

Re: Appropriate Gift?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
To me a "cooking light" cookbook isn't about "diet" food but about eating healthy.  So I don't see it as connected to weight loss but to health.  I once gave a co-worker a subscription to "Cooking Light" magazine for our holiday gift exchange (she had requested it).  She is not overweight but interested in cooking and health.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

NyaChan

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
My sister got me a low-carb cookbook one year. It didn't offend me, as I was diagnosed with diabetes that year, and she had just gone through gestational diabetes at the same time. We had talked about ways to watch carbs and shared low-carb recipes, so it was a very appropriate gift.

I think there are circumstances in which weight loss/workout gifts can be appropriate. Without knowing your sister's history with coworker and what conversations they've had in the past, it's really hard to say.

You said that she gave it to you to read.. were you offended?

No I wasn't offended  :)  She was doing dictation and I hadn't brought my laptop with me so to keep me busy she went through her bag and kind of tossed it over saying that it was one of her SS gifts and maybe there would be a baking recipe (she knows I love to bake & look at recipes).  I don't think she had even opened it at that point as it was still in her work bag and she later picked it up and started to look through it from the beginning.  She put it down almost immediately and only picked it up again when I pointed out that I had seen a recipe for an unusual dish that had been on the menu at the restaurant we had eaten at. 

Honestly my sister has come across blatant rudeness and meanness about her weight, so something small like this probably wouldn't be too bad relative to those even if she was upset.  The lesson I took from it and what others have posted is that I probably shouldn't give gifts about weight unless someone has specifically said they would appreciate something of the sort just in case it does hurt their feelings - especially when it is a co-worker. 

I can see how it would be different as other posters pointed out when the person is open about it - I have had a coworker who did South Beach and often talked about how they always keep an eye out for new books of recipes. In that case, I'd think I'd be ok to gift a cookbook about it.  But if coworker only mentioned that they were on the diet and said nothing else, I'd go for something else. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
I got a cookbook with low- and no-fat, vegan recipes for Christmas. Didn't even occur to me for a second to be offended till I read this thread. I just assumed it was someone sharing a healthful way of cooking with me.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Thing is, you don't know that your sister and her coworker haven't discussed weight.  Just because she doesn't discuss it with you or your family (who can blame her given that it's a sensitive topic in your family), that doesn't mean she's private about it in regards to her friends. 

Given that she didn't act offended, I would say she wasn't offended. 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
To me a "cooking light" cookbook isn't about "diet" food but about eating healthy.  So I don't see it as connected to weight loss but to health.

This is how I feel about it.  Gift-wise, I don't see it as any different than any other cookbook.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
Many times, I've glanced at the magazine rack and see pictures of delicious looking food.  When I look at the title, it would often be a light cooking magazine.  I don't think it's an insult either.  Even "regular" magazines often feature headlines of healthy recipes and tips on the cover.