Author Topic: When you don't know the spouse's name  (Read 3167 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
When you don't know the spouse's name
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
I was at a friend's (Becky) house when she got her mail.  Several of them were holiday cards made out to Mr. and Mrs. Becky Smith.  She said they were from her friends who probably didn't remember her husband's name and instead used her name.

I thought that was odd.  I would have just made it out to Becky Smith and Family if I wasn't sure.

Or is it correct as how they were addressed?

nutraxfornerves

Re: When you don't know the spouse's name
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
I was at a friend's (Becky) house when she got her mail.  Several of them were holiday cards made out to Mr. and Mrs. Becky Smith.  She said they were from her friends who probably didn't remember her husband's name and instead used her name.

I thought that was odd.  I would have just made it out to Becky Smith and Family if I wasn't sure.
I agree that it sounds odd. I don't think I would have addressed it to Becky Smith and Family, though. I think I would have addressed it to Becky Smith and added a note along lines of "Merry Christmas to you and your husband" or "Merry Christmas ot you and your whole family."

Mr. Nutrax and I married 4 years ago. I did not take his last name. Most people know that, but some don't or have forgotten. We got cards addressed to Mr. & Mrs. John Smith, John & Jane Smith, John & Jane Smith Brown (a form we have never used) and John Smith & Jane Brown.

My favorite was a distant relative of Mr. Nutrax who apparently couldn't remember my last name. That card was addressed to John Smith and Jane. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

faithlessone

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Was this on the envelope, or the card?

On the envelope, I would use "Mr and Mrs Smith". Inside the card, if I really couldn't remember, I'd use "Becky and family".

"Mr and Mrs Becky Smith" isn't a correct form of address, as far as I know.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
It was on the envelope. 

And it's a very feminine name so it couldn't be misconstrued as the male name.  And they do share the same last name.

Good to know that I should just put Becky Smith instead of and Family.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
I think you should call up Becky and say, "Holy Toledo--I'm having a brain fart. What's your husband's name? I'm addressing Christmas cards, and I've realized I've never written it down."

And then you should write it down.

If you know Becky well enough that you want to send a Christmas card to her *home,* you should find out the name of her life partner.

Vilandra

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »

My favorite was a distant relative of Mr. Nutrax who apparently couldn't remember my last name. That card was addressed to John Smith and Jane.

A distant relative addressed the outside envelope to 'Mr. and Mrs. Lastname and Daughter.'  I thought that maybe he had forgotten our daughter's name or hadn't seen it on our card (she's three months old) but he included her name on the inside of the card.  Very strange!

When sending to a family including children I usually address to 'The Smith Family'

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
There was once a theory that you were "shielding" children from public view by not naming their names on the outside of the envelope.

felix

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
On the envelope I write "The xxxx family" rather than naming everyone.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »
'The Smiths' works for me. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
I think you should call up Becky and say, "Holy Toledo--I'm having a brain fart. What's your husband's name? I'm addressing Christmas cards, and I've realized I've never written it down."

And then you should write it down.

If you know Becky well enough that you want to send a Christmas card to her *home,* you should find out the name of her life partner.

Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't I who wrote the Mr and Mrs. Becky Smith on the envelopes, I was just wondering if that was correct etiquette wise.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
Oh, I know it wasn't *you* "you."

I meant that as the generic "you."

(German has the term "mann," which is sort of line "one"--"if one wants to send Becky a card . . . ")

Arrynne

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
I would have made it out to "The Smiths" or "The Smith Family"

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »
My motto - if the postman delivers, it must have been okay. 

When people do or don't take spouses names, it can get confusing.  I typically address Christmas cards to X and Y Smith.  If I know differently, it will go that way.  If I don't know that Darla's pal, Otto's mom uses a different last name, it's going to X, Y, and Otto Smith.  Sure, I want to send cards correctly, but I don't really see what the big deal is if it's an honest mistake.

Formerly Mrs.Bart

mabelle

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
I made two rather large faux pas this year in addressing Christmas cards, but they all got there and made people mad.

1) last year, DH's good friend and spouse were seperated and I sent only card to good friend at his residence (their 'family' home - she had moved out). They've since reconciled and I didn't address the card inclusive of her... when I saw him the night I had mailed the letter, I realized I hadn't included spouse, so I sent her a separate card. Apparently, she's ticked at me for "being passive aggressive". Seriously, I was just working off the list and kinda automaton-like - I wasn't sending a message!
2) I forgot one friend's wife's name...and did the Mr. John Smith and Family thing...but they only have fur-babies and are sensitive about their fertility issues so Mrs. John Smith is mad at me too.

I can't win.

:(

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
I made two rather large faux pas this year in addressing Christmas cards, but they all got there and made people mad.

1) last year, DH's good friend and spouse were seperated and I sent only card to good friend at his residence (their 'family' home - she had moved out). They've since reconciled and I didn't address the card inclusive of her... when I saw him the night I had mailed the letter, I realized I hadn't included spouse, so I sent her a separate card. Apparently, she's ticked at me for "being passive aggressive". Seriously, I was just working off the list and kinda automaton-like - I wasn't sending a message!
2) I forgot one friend's wife's name...and did the Mr. John Smith and Family thing...but they only have fur-babies and are sensitive about their fertility issues so Mrs. John Smith is mad at me too.

I can't win.

:(

Mabelle, people getting into a snit doesn't mean you made a faux pas. You tried your best to be inclusive, and people who were looking for fault found it. That really stinks, though. Hugs.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter