Author Topic: An awkward holiday night  (Read 2159 times)

Adelaide

An awkward holiday night
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:19:13 AM »
(I wanted to put this under another category but I suppose it goes under the Holidays since it's a Christmas story.)

I was recently at my friend Bob's house and so was my friend Tiffany (who I mentioned on this website before). We had gone to Bob's to catch up with his sister Jill, who had just broken her leg and was resting in her room. After we left Jill's room and were sitting in the living room, Tiffany (who had already given me a gift earlier) handed Bob a bag of candy that she'd made. Bob, not expecting it, was very pleased and expressed how nice it was of her to think of him, and how many different kinds of candy there were, etc. Tiffany said "You're welcome! Making candy is much less expensive than buying actual presents".

I could have died. I saw Bob's mother, who happened to be passing by, raised her eyebrows so high they looked like they wanted to crawl off her face. To Bob's credit he didn't miss a beat and acted very interested as to the cooking process of the candy, which gave me time to look around on the floor and pick up my jaw. Things were made even more awkward when our mutual friend Earnest (who was not given a gift by Tiffany) showed up. The cat started poking a the bag of candy on the table while sitting on Earnest, and when Earnest asked "What's that the cat is getting at?" Bob said "Oh, that's the candy that Tiffany gave me for Christmas". I immediately directed everyone's attention to the most amazing Youtube video EVER so we all could just stop talking. True, the story is just  minor holiday awkwardness (although I don't know how left-out Earnest actually felt, he and Tiffany are as close as Bob and Tiffany are) but I still cringe at the fact that I couldn't really do anything about it.

hannahmollysmom

Re: An awkward holiday night
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »
First of all, I don't know why Tiffany said that! Candy ingredients are expensive, not to mention the time one puts into it. I know, done it for years.

She may just not have known how to acknowledge a thank you for a homemade item?

Adelaide

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »
First of all, I don't know why Tiffany said that! Candy ingredients are expensive, not to mention the time one puts into it. I know, done it for years.

She may just not have known how to acknowledge a thank you for a homemade item?

Well, her mother makes candy all the time during the holidays, so I know the ingredients were on standby-all Tiffany had to do was put in the work to make it. And I suppose you're right, although I personally think that "Thank you, I hope you enjoy it" would suffice. It was just one of those cringe-worthy moments for me where I wanted to sink into the sofa.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:51:17 AM »
maybe it was a bit awkward but i don't think it was *that* terrible. as a PP said - maybe she just doesn't know how to take a compliment and was playing down the cost/effort.

(I wanted to put this under another category but I suppose it goes under the Holidays since it's a Christmas story.)

I was recently at my friend Bob's house and so was my friend Tiffany (who I mentioned on this website before). We had gone to Bob's to catch up with his sister Jill, who had just broken her leg and was resting in her room. After we left Jill's room and were sitting in the living room, Tiffany (who had already given me a gift earlier) handed Bob a bag of candy that she'd made. Bob, not expecting it, was very pleased and expressed how nice it was of her to think of him, and how many different kinds of candy there were, etc. Tiffany said "You're welcome! Making candy is much less expensive than buying actual presents".

I could have died. I saw Bob's mother, who happened to be passing by, raised her eyebrows so high they looked like they wanted to crawl off her face. To Bob's credit he didn't miss a beat and acted very interested as to the cooking process of the candy, which gave me time to look around on the floor and pick up my jaw. Things were made even more awkward when our mutual friend Earnest (who was not given a gift by Tiffany) showed up. The cat started poking a the bag of candy on the table while sitting on Earnest, and when Earnest asked "What's that the cat is getting at?" Bob said "Oh, that's the candy that Tiffany gave me for Christmas". I immediately directed everyone's attention to the most amazing Youtube video EVER so we all could just stop talking. True, the story is just  minor holiday awkwardness (although I don't know how left-out Earnest actually felt, he and Tiffany are as close as Bob and Tiffany are) but I still cringe at the fact that I couldn't really do anything about it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
Awkward, but not the end of the world. And making candy is only less expensive if someone else buys all the ingredients.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont