Author Topic: Question for our friends down under  (Read 1514 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Question for our friends down under
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:34:59 AM »
G'day!

I have a friend who's traveling to Australia, and has a query. It's been many moons since I lived in Oz and so I can't remember the answer to her question.

She's traveling to Sydney and want's to know if it's possible to book and stay in a 'BnB' (Bed and Breakfast). She's looked it up online but so far the only things she's found are "units" (which are apartments) and Hotels.

So what do the Aussies call Bed & Breakfast establishments and are there many in or around Sydney centre?

Thanks!
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Question for our friends down under
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
Well in Melbourne we call them bed & breakfast, but I don't know if there are any in the Sydney area.

I don't know your friend's budget, but this place is divine and is pretty central:
http://www.tricketts.com.au/

I've stayed there a couple of times.

Or there's this site: http://www.booking.com/city/au/sydney.en.html?aid=342443;label=city-sydney-Bs14axyIuA*Oz4kYuxHc7AS16341046790;ws=

Victoria

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:32:13 AM »
She could try Airbnb.  That has everything from a sofa-bed in someone's living room to self-contained apartments.  I have used the site several times and it is great.  It's always good to stay with a local so they can direct you to the best non-touristy things to do.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
We definitely have BnBs here.   Just google "bed and breakfast sydney". 

As with most large cities, the bulk of accommodation is hotels or serviced apartments simply because the city is more built up.    So if she's looking IN Sydney (e.g. the Sydney central area) she's most likely to find lots of hotel style accommodation.  (There are boutique hotels and BnBs also though).   You're more likely to find more BnBs in the suburbs, rural areas, at the beach etc, which I suspect is true in most places.   So if that's what she's after she could try being more specific and searching for a BNB in the specific area she's hoping to stay in. 

To me, a BnB is really just a small boutique hotel, or converted house or similar.  Still accommodation but a friendlier homestyle vibe.  Is that basically what she means?
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Iris

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »
Seconding Caellach. Loads of BnBs but I don't think she'll find many centrally located ones.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »

As with most large cities, the bulk of accommodation is hotels or serviced apartments simply because the city is more built up.    So if she's looking IN Sydney (e.g. the Sydney central area) she's most likely to find lots of hotel style accommodation.  (There are boutique hotels and BnBs also though).   You're more likely to find more BnBs in the suburbs, rural areas, at the beach etc, which I suspect is true in most places.   So if that's what she's after she could try being more specific and searching for a BNB in the specific area she's hoping to stay in. 

To me, a BnB is really just a small boutique hotel, or converted house or similar.  Still accommodation but a friendlier homestyle vibe.  Is that basically what she means?

I'm in Canada, and IME B&B is quite different here as opposed to Great Britain/Europe.

Here, they are fairly high-end places for the most part - down duvets, in-room jacuzzis, en suite bathrooms, breakfast brought to the room etc.  They aren't the "budget" type accomodations that you might find in GB - small bedroom, bathroom down the hall, group breakfast served in the dining room.  They can be more "destination" places on their own, catering more to a local crowd willing to drive an hour or two.  One exception that we found was in Atlantic Canada - there were more "budget" type B&Bs there, but of course there are more larger, older homes than you'd find on the West Coast and these can be easily converted - all those extra rooms.

I don't know whether that's the case in Australia, but it's just a point of awareness.  B&B can mean different things to different people.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »

I'm in Canada, and IME B&B is quite different here as opposed to Great Britain/Europe.

Here, they are fairly high-end places for the most part - down duvets, in-room jacuzzis, en suite bathrooms, breakfast brought to the room etc.  They aren't the "budget" type accomodations that you might find in GB - small bedroom, bathroom down the hall, group breakfast served in the dining room.  They can be more "destination" places on their own, catering more to a local crowd willing to drive an hour or two.  One exception that we found was in Atlantic Canada - there were more "budget" type B&Bs there, but of course there are more larger, older homes than you'd find on the West Coast and these can be easily converted - all those extra rooms.

I don't know whether that's the case in Australia, but it's just a point of awareness.  B&B can mean different things to different people.

I agree - BnB tends to be more boutique and high-end for the most part.  More of an experience than just a room.  (Because if we want to get technical, most hotels have bed and breakfast available!)   Having said that, I think B&B is more about the style than anything else, because there are slightly more budget homestay B&Bs also.

oz diva

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
I was wondering why your friend might have had problems finding somewhere to stay on Google. Tell her to try www.google.com.au which takes you to the Australian site, rather than the UK or US one.

Victoria

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
from my experience a B&B is like someone's home where you stay and they provide a "communal" breakfast in the morning.
I stayed at a B&B on my honeymoon, it was a nice room, a bit like a hotel room, with an en-suite with spa, however because it was in someones house there was a communal lounge and kitchenette area.

If she is wanting to stay in the city of Sydney then it would be mostly hotels or serviced apartments. Again in my limited experience most hotels have a packages that include your room for the night and some sort of breakfast, either in the room, or in the dining area.
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:41 AM »
I was wondering why your friend might have had problems finding somewhere to stay on Google. Tell her to try www.google.com.au which takes you to the Australian site, rather than the UK or US one.

Ok this is genius!!!!  I can't believe I didn't think of suggesting it.   This is absolutely what I personally do.   I am a NZ living in AUS, but due to going backwards and forwards I'm frequently making purchases / researching accommodation / booking flights in either place.   I find trying to do NZ stuff from AUS is horrendous unless I actually go to google.co.nz - the sites it brings up otherwise are mostly ads or less relevant.  Likewise on the odd occasion I'm doing some US or UK ish I go to those sites rather than just aus.  It's amazing the difference it makes.   Things are targets at people from the locations the search engine is focused on, which makes sense I guess.

So yeah, if you want to book accommodation in AUS, go to google.com.au! 

oz diva

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:53 AM »

Ok this is genius!!!!  I can't believe I didn't think of suggesting it.   This is absolutely what I personally do.   I am a NZ living in AUS, but due to going backwards and forwards I'm frequently making purchases / researching accommodation / booking flights in either place.   I find trying to do NZ stuff from AUS is horrendous unless I actually go to google.co.nz - the sites it brings up otherwise are mostly ads or less relevant.  Likewise on the odd occasion I'm doing some US or UK ish I go to those sites rather than just aus.  It's amazing the difference it makes.   Things are targets at people from the locations the search engine is focused on, which makes sense I guess.

So yeah, if you want to book accommodation in AUS, go to google.com.au!

I shank you (bows)

Victoria

katycoo

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:19:13 AM »
from my experience a B&B is like someone's home where you stay and they provide a "communal" breakfast in the morning.
I stayed at a B&B on my honeymoon, it was a nice room, a bit like a hotel room, with an en-suite with spa, however because it was in someones house there was a communal lounge and kitchenette area.

This.  I wouldn't expect to find any in Sydney central.  More for less urban cities like in the Blue Mountains.

Get her to define what sort of accomodation she's after, incl budget and how central she wants to be.  We'll help her find something.

Redsoil

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:57 AM »
Some good info from previous posters.  As mentioned, AirBnB is a good one to check out.  With more info (area she wants to be in, budget, length of stay etc) there will probably be some other good suggestions.

I've just come back from a quick trip to Sydney, staying at The Rocks.  Depending on her budget, may be worth looking at The Harbour Rocks Hotel.  I enjoyed my stay.  Nice rooms, fairly quiet in spite of being VERY central to The Rocks/Harbour Bridge/Circular Quay/Opera House.  Truly 5-10 minutes from everything (walking)!  Great staff, nice atmosphere, recently renovated - was one of the original hotels in the area.  And if she wants something interesting to do, can highly recommend doing the Harbour Bridge climb (twilight is best) - excellent fun!

http://www.harbourrocks.com.au/

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!