Author Topic: S/O The Clean Plate Club At Parties.  (Read 1088 times)

MOM21SON

S/O The Clean Plate Club At Parties.
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Please share your favorite recipie that has blue cheese as an ingredient!

At this time, my favorite is crumbled blue cheese with hot pepper jelly spread on club crackers.

O'Dell

Re: S/O The Clean Plate Club At Parties.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
I only use bleu cheese in 2 recipes.

Broccoli and Bleu cheese soup

Chop one onion and saute in olive oil and salt and pepper. Add 2-4 stalks cleaned and chopped broccoli, cover with water/stock and cook until tender. Reserve a cup of the cooked broccoli, add cheese (equivalent to a deck of cards in amount) to soup and blend until smooth. Start with a small amount of cheese and add to adjust for flavor. Use a fairly robust bleu cheese or stronger if depending on your taste.

Asparagus and bleu cheese soup

Same as for broccoli but use asparagus and blend all of it. Use a milder bleu cheese or you risk overpowering the asparagus.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:21 PM »
I make a black and bleu burger :)

1 lb ground beef
one small or half a medium onion minced fine
bleu cheese to top the burgers with, as much or as little as you like
paprika
salt
pepper
garlic powder
(note that for the last four ingredients I cannot give an amount, since I am always eyeballing things... sorry!)
lettuce, tomato, etc, whatever you like on your burgers

mix ground beef, minced onion, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Divide into four burgers and cook for about 8 min on each side. during the last few minutes of cooking place bleu cheese on burger and let melt. If it doesn't melt enough, tent it with tin foil to melt the cheese faster.

place on a bun with toppings, and there ya go. A delicious burger utilizing the best cheese in the world :)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:32:36 AM »
My favorite blue cheese recipe is very simple

cracker
blue cheese

(cracker is optional)

Other recipe
steak
blue cheese

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:00:21 AM »
Special request: if you are serving blue cheese at a party, can you please warn people it is in there?  It seems that a lot of people with a mould allergy (eg penicillin -- I am also somewhat allergic to many kinds of mould) can't eat blue cheese. But because it's not something you bump into very often, and it's usually easy to avoid on menus, etc, it wouldn't occur to me to mention it as something I can't eat. I have a neighbour who can't even be in the same room as a Stilton.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
I've made this a few times - big hit:

Salmon-Wrapped Cheese Mold (D, KLP, TNT)
Source: "Pictures from Father's House, Food from Mother's House, the Dishes of Holidays," by Tova Aran (I swear, this is the name of the book - as you know, daddy takes pictures while mommy makes food)
Serves: 8-12 as a buffet dish

7-8 large slices of smoked salmon (I had 200g pack and it was barely enough; next time I would definitely use more)
250g/8 oz. cream cheese 30% (I used Philadelphia)
250g/8 oz. cream cheese 9%
250g/8 oz. cream cheese 5%
200g/7 oz. blue cheese crumbled
250ml/8 fl. oz) whipping cream
14g/1/2 oz. gelatin
1/4 cup hot water
2 tbsp. chopped chives
1 tbsp. onion chopped; I used the whole onion
100g walnuts chopped
2 tbsp. chopped dill
Optional: some green olives chopped

Garnish:
Mint leaves

Cover the bottom and sides of a mold with the salmon slices. I used for this a small mold that looks like a small Kugelhopf pan and as I said, the salmon was not enough. I guess that it would take at least 10 oz. or 300g to coat well the sides.

Cream together cheeses, add cream and stir until blended very well.

Melt gelatin in hot water and mix with cheese mixture. Add other ingredients and stir very well.

Pour into mold, cover with salmon slices, cover and chill for a few hours.

To serve:
Remove from mold, and decorate with mint leaves.

from http://jewishfood-list.com/recipes/appetizer/fish/salmonchsmold01.html

I also like the ubiquitous lettuce/endive salad with blue cheese and nuts

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
Bleu cheese/gorgonzola is probably my favorite food in the whole world! 

One recipe I love is something I stole from a restaurant in DC.  You take sliced turkey, add chutney, a little grainy mustard and then top with crumbled bc.  This is uber good on pumpernickel or multigrain bread. 

For salads, bc pairs very well with...pears.  I get some butter or bibb lettuce, put some super ripe pear slices on top, and then crumbled bc and maybe a few pecans.  Then just make a basic vinaigrette.  Balsamic is awesome as the vinegar.  In fact, I've made this just using balsamic without the oil.

I also make a basic bc dip from an old recipe.  You use about a cup of sour cream, 2 T mayo, a couple teaspoons of cognac, and about 4 oz of bc.   Blend it, add salt/pepper and use as a veggie dip. 

I've also made a version of something I had at Magic Pan ages ago - it's a bc/apple omelette!  (I think theirs was a crepe).  Anyway, if you have a good omlet pan, saute some chopped apple and a little onion if you want until soft.  Then make the omlette and put this inside, along with crumbled bc.