Author Topic: Hard to Explain Businesses S/O Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 1367 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up

What about businesses that don't exist in other countries.

My Dad always had a hard time explaining his job to our family in Canada (mostly PEI).

Dad's company bought beer from the brewery and sold it to the retail outlets. The retail outlets can not buy from the breweries or distillers. The public can't buy from the distributors now. (This is in Texas it can be different in each state) In Texas most of the Beer Trucks you see are actually distributor trucks not actually owned by the beer companies. THey mostly ship on RR.

On PEI the government buys from the producers and the public buy from government stores. There weren't that many for a long time. I'm not sure who the bars buy from.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Solicitors.

In the UK, they are lawyers. Elsewhere however...
NE England

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
I'm still not entirely convinced FIL isn't a spy  :P  My city is a nexus for engineers working on Department of Defense contracts, mostly designing missile guidance systems and radar data analysis and self-flying robotic helicopters and other cool stuff like that.  Most of these jobs a) involve so much rocket science that nobody can understand what they do anyway, and b) require security clearance and secrecy so nobody's allowed to talk about their jobs even if they were capable of explaining it in laymans' terms  ::)

DH describes FIL's current job as "pointy-haired boss," but FIL's previous position involved traveling around a lot trying to get private companies to give money to the government for research.  He couldn't tell them what the money was for, though, because the projects were classified.  So he gave lots of presentations basically saying "We're developing this really cool technology that will revolutionize your industry and save you lots of money . . . but we won't tell you what it is.  It's really cool, though!  You should totally help fund the research!"

lollylegs

Solicitors.

Yes, same in Australia, and the lawyer thing is a bit complicated over here (and I imagine it's the same in the UK).  We've got solicitors, barristers and QC's (Queens Counsel or, as Darryl Kerrigan says in The Castle, "They're the lawyers rich people use.")

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Solicitors.

Yes, same in Australia, and the lawyer thing is a bit complicated over here (and I imagine it's the same in the UK).  We've got solicitors, barristers and QC's (Queens Counsel or, as Darryl Kerrigan says in The Castle, "They're the lawyers rich people use.")

LOVE that movie!

DH and I quote from it all the time, my two favourite lines are "Awh, the serenity" and "I dug another hole... it's filling with water" /threadjack :P

I have this problem describing roles within my industry - Advertising.

You see, to someone on the outside (who's only ever seen Bewitched or What Women Want) they think that everyone is a dashing Account Executive who comes up with brilliant ideas and sells them to the client.

Nope.

An account executive is the most junior client service person. They take the clients request, turn it into a brief and ask the creatives (an art director and copywriter) to turn their request into a wonderful creative advert. The client service people then pitch the idea to the client.

Then there's a production side. Broadcast, Print and Digital. I'm a producer. I get people asking "Do you work direct with the clients?" well, no. "Do you come up with the creative ideas?" well, no. "Do you draw the pictures or write the words or work the camera?" well, no.

I make it happen. I bring it together. I coordinate it all. I produce it!
It really sounds like I don't do anything, but I do!

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

lollylegs

Solicitors.

LOVE that movie!

DH and I quote from it all the time, my two favourite lines are "Awh, the serenity" and "I dug another hole... it's filling with water" /threadjack :P

Every time I go to my dads for dinner we have to do the, "What's this love?" dance.  Every. Single. Time.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Solicitors.

LOVE that movie!

Every time I go to my dads for dinner we have to do the, "What's this love?" dance.  Every. Single. Time.

Tell him he's dreaming!! Straight to the pool room!! 

:D
Stewart/Colbert '16