A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Stephen Fry in America

(1/6) > >>

Sharnita:
I just started watching this on Netflix and I find it pretty interesting.  It seems like it oculd be informative to both Americans and non-Americans.  Stephen Fry is a British (Scottish?) actor/comedian who is touring the U.S. state by state and observing from an outsider's point of view, at least kind of. 

Iris:
I normally love Stephen Fry (I watch QI religiously) but I didn't actually enjoy the episodes that I watched. He was in the central west and while he was very pleasant to the people he was with or who were showing him around he was a bit mocking/snide about them once he left. I thought when those people came to watch the show they would be disappointed and maybe hurt.

Perhaps I jsut caught the wrong episodes, but it was enough to turn me off.

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: Iris on December 31, 2011, 12:59:10 AM ---I normally love Stephen Fry (I watch QI religiously) but I didn't actually enjoy the episodes that I watched. He was in the central west and while he was very pleasant to the people he was with or who were showing him around he was a bit mocking/snide about them once he left. I thought when those people came to watch the show they would be disappointed and maybe hurt.

Perhaps I jsut caught the wrong episodes, but it was enough to turn me off.

--- End quote ---

As a Michigan girl the story about the guy from the Fordfamily who went to work for GM was completely relatable  :)

oz diva:
Stephen is English. He has had a checkered career including a stint in prison. I think he's one the most amazing people of the age though. I'm not sure if I have seen this show, but I generally adore his stuff.

Sharnita:
He visits a variety of places as well as states - a college football game, Angola prison, an abandoned building where homeless are living, acoal mine in West Virginia... I think that if anything it gives a hint as to the diversity within the United States as far as economic situation, weather, geography, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version