Author Topic: Stephen Fry in America  (Read 3784 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Stephen Fry in America
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
I just started watching this on Netflix and I find it pretty interesting.  It seems like it oculd be informative to both Americans and non-Americans.  Stephen Fry is a British (Scottish?) actor/comedian who is touring the U.S. state by state and observing from an outsider's point of view, at least kind of. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:47:40 PM by Sharnita »

Iris

Re: Stephen Fry in America
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »
I normally love Stephen Fry (I watch QI religiously) but I didn't actually enjoy the episodes that I watched. He was in the central west and while he was very pleasant to the people he was with or who were showing him around he was a bit mocking/snide about them once he left. I thought when those people came to watch the show they would be disappointed and maybe hurt.

Perhaps I jsut caught the wrong episodes, but it was enough to turn me off.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »
I normally love Stephen Fry (I watch QI religiously) but I didn't actually enjoy the episodes that I watched. He was in the central west and while he was very pleasant to the people he was with or who were showing him around he was a bit mocking/snide about them once he left. I thought when those people came to watch the show they would be disappointed and maybe hurt.

Perhaps I jsut caught the wrong episodes, but it was enough to turn me off.

As a Michigan girl the story about the guy from the Fordfamily who went to work for GM was completely relatable  :)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »
Stephen is English. He has had a checkered career including a stint in prison. I think he's one the most amazing people of the age though. I'm not sure if I have seen this show, but I generally adore his stuff.

Victoria

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:54 AM »
He visits a variety of places as well as states - a college football game, Angola prison, an abandoned building where homeless are living, acoal mine in West Virginia... I think that if anything it gives a hint as to the diversity within the United States as far as economic situation, weather, geography, etc.

Soprych

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
Glad someone explained who he is.  I thought it was a reference to a character on Futurama.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
The episodes I saw so far he seemed fairly respectful.  He does make it clear that he finds American cheese horrifying for the most part, which crakced me up.  I still have a  few more episodes to watch.

CakeEater

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 04:01:21 AM »
I watched them all and found them great. He is one of my favourite English comedians. US culture has some very different aspects to it than some other English speaking countries, which can be quite astonishing to outsiders. I think that was his angle.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
The episodes I saw so far he seemed fairly respectful.  He does make it clear that he finds American cheese horrifying for the most part, which crakced me up.  I still have a  few more episodes to watch.
I always wonder about Europeans whining about American cheeses. I mean, yeah if you only try Kraft American okay but Wisconsin alone has 106 dairies making cheese, and many American cheeses have won International acclaim.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
Glad someone explained who he is.  I thought it was a reference to a character on Futurama.

This is the most amazing comment, because Stephen is rather ubiquitous over here.

Victoria

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
I always wonder about Europeans whining about American cheeses. I mean, yeah if you only try Kraft American okay but Wisconsin alone has 106 dairies making cheese, and many American cheeses have won International acclaim.

I expect he may have been referring to the style of cheese known as American, rather than any cheese made in this country. In that sense, I agree with him, but I do know that there are plenty of dairies in the US that make yummy cheese in other styles, many of which originated in other countries.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bluenomi

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
I love Stephen Fry, I read his auto-bio recently and his lead an interesting life!

I've seen most of that series (one of our pay tv channels had a marathon one public holiday) and thought it was pretty good. Mind you I'm an Aussie so agree with many of his 'that's a wacky American thing' thoughts.

And I agree with him on the cheese. I'm sure there is some great US cheese out there but cheese in a can? Blerk!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
I love Stephen Fry, I read his auto-bio recently and his lead an interesting life!

I've seen most of that series (one of our pay tv channels had a marathon one public holiday) and thought it was pretty good. Mind you I'm an Aussie so agree with many of his 'that's a wacky American thing' thoughts.

And I agree with him on the cheese. I'm sure there is some great US cheese out there but cheese in a can? Blerk!

Are you referring to Cheeze Whiz? I'm not sure that's acutally cheese. :-)

There is, however, a really good cheddar that is packed and sold in a can - it's called Cougar Gold, and is made by Washington State University. You have to open the can and remove the cheese, however - it does not squirt out.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
Are you referring to Cheeze Whiz? I'm not sure that's actually cheese. :-)
Actually, Cheeze Whiz comes in a glass jar. It's Easy Cheese that squirts out of a can.  ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Are you referring to Cheeze Whiz? I'm not sure that's actually cheese. :-)
Actually, Cheeze Whiz comes in a glass jar. It's Easy Cheese that squirts out of a can.  ;)

Either way, I'm not convinced there's any actual cheese involved. :-)