Author Topic: How Did You Spend New Year's Eve?  (Read 2305 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
How Did You Spend New Year's Eve?
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Although we live in NYC, going to Times Square is completely out of the question.  Mr. Thipu did it once when he was young and foolish.  According to him, once was too much.

We choose to spend a quiet New Year's Eve at home.  Part of the fun is putting together a sort of graze for dinner.  We get a shrimp ring, some baked clams and pigs in the blanket (often referred to here as gorilla nostrils).  It's a nutritional disaster but once a year, it's just fine with a bottle of bubbly.

We watch specials on TV and, after the ball drops, we can see the local fireworks display from our kitchen window. 

Ho hum  :)

Ruelz

Re: How Did You Spend New Year's Eve?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
We went to a small house-party.  8 adults.  5 'assorted' kids.

Quiet, but fun.  Ended up watching the Niagra Falls count-down on TV...then played a game...then came home!
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
Gyro pizza from Pauly's, movies, and watching kitty antics with my sister  ;D It was nice to stay in this year

MeeLee

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
Got Chinese food and watched some movies. I used to go out to clubs a few years ago, but it's too expensive and I don't like being on the roads New Years eve.

ghostplanet

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
I don't do NYE anymore -

We go to a friends annual New Years Day party - which is in a few hours.  Food, drinks (virgin mary's for me) and friends.     This is my NYE celebration and its a great time.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Please, Ruelz.

What is the Niagara Falls Countdown?  That sounds awesome.

Ginya

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
My husband and I spent NYE with my parents playing Wii and enjoying some wine.  :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »
We went out to dinner fairly early, to avoid the craziness of later in the night.  Got home, took a nap, woke up in time to see in the New Year, then went back to bed.  Very boring.  ;)  Today I'm having some friends over for a late lunch, then DH and I are going to a basketball game. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
Cabbage and I stayed up to watch Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, and then went to bed.

Tonight, Gran and Gramps are coming over to have Salisbury steak, cheesy bread, and mashed potatoes.  ;D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
DH, DSon, and I went to the local Chinese restaurant for supper. After coming home, DS went to a party the young couple across the street from us was having.

DH watched some TV. I tracked down the thread, pattern, and steel hook I'll be using for the start-to-finish crochet project I do every N.Y.D. [this year it's the "Tea Time Doily", designed by Denise (Augostine) Owens.]

DH and I were in bed by 11pmCT.  ;D

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
My husband and I went out to dinner early, about 5:30 to beat the wait at this good restaurant, went to the grocery store to get a piece of lemon meringue pie for dessert and then went home.  We watched an old movie, Panic in the Streets, some Duel Survival and the cat and I fell asleep.  I woke up close to midnight and watched a little D Clark, and the SF station ring in the new year, went outdoors to listen to the merry makers celebrating with a few blasts of fireworks, then I did some art and craft stuff so that I will hopefully find myself do a lot of it in the new year.
I went to be about 2 am and thought about all those poor people who drank in the new year going home to spinning beds and a morning spent on their knees, hanging their heads over the toilet.  Gee whiz, I'm so glad I don't do that anymore!  There is something to be said for V8 juice and lime Perrier water over ice with a splash of Worcestershire sauce!.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

PeterM

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
My wife and I have a tradition of staying home and watching movies. She picks one, I pick one, and so on until we can't stay up any longer. Since she had to work this morning we only watched two, both William Powell and Myrna Loy. "I Love You Again" and "The Thin Man Goes Home." Both of them were a lot of fun. And I learned last night that she's never seen "Murder By Death," so we'll be watching that tonight.

mamakinz

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
I had to work - I'm a nurse, and work night shift (7pm-7am) in a large hospital, and I wanted Christmas off so I had to work New Years. Today I slept, cuz I'm heading back to work in a few hours
DH and the 2 kids hung out last night and watched tv - I did call them in time to share the countdown with them

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
Dinner with friends, then off to a friend's fancy downtown apartment in the city. We played silly games, and watched the fireworks go off from his balcony.

cattlekid

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
Out to dinner with family, then watched my uncle's band at a bar.  Stayed overnight at Grandma's house, came home today. 

I just realized how far out in the country I was - no bouncer, no one checking IDs at the door.  No cover.  No one watching the back door.  Anyone underage could have easily walked in, stayed in the back room and had people of age bring drinks to them.  I must be getting old when I start counting the possible ordinance violations when I'm out and about.   ;D