Author Topic: Fake Christmas (Really, really long!)  (Read 7035 times)

Sweettooth

Re: Fake Christmas (Really, really long!)
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I agree with others who have said it is time to politely tell MIL that it hurts your feelings when she refers to your celebration as "Fake Christmas." She probably thinks it's funny, and won't know you feel otherwise unless you tell her.

I do encourage you, though, to think about compromising just a little bit. While it's important to you that your child be home on Christmas Day, recognize that it's also important to your husband's family to see the three of you on the holiday itself. Perhaps you can go every third year, if you don't want to do every other year.

I have found through the years that my children are as excited to see what Santa brought to my parents' home or my in-laws' as they are when we're in our own home--the location doesn't matter to them at all. And while I agree with you that celebrating on the actual day shouldn't really matter, if my brother and his family refused to ever come on Christmas Day but insisted on only visiting at a time when I had to work and couldn't spend much time with them, I would be really hurt.

SPuck

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
I am going to go against the grain here and say that whenever she mentions the get together as fake Christmas, grin, bear it, and come up with a witty, non emotional response if possible. Opening up about your feelings about the words give her the goods to explain her hurt feeling about you never being around on Christmas day. 

Lily

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
When she call it "Fake Christmas" just say "No, it's the Smith Christmas! Let's have some fun."

SPuck

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
Lily's response is good.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
"MIL, when you call it "Fake Christmas" it makes us think you don't think it is very worthwhile...and goodness, why should we drive 5 hours for something you don't think is worth it?"

Texas Mom

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Where does your husband stand with the "Fake Christmas" comments?

Let him deal with it - it's his mother and he should be the one the squelch it.