Author Topic: Gift Tags  (Read 2261 times)

Texas Mom

Gift Tags
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
I use preprinted adhesive labels for gifts.

When I was wrapping gifts this year, I noticed
the Hallmark ones said:
For
From

and the others said:
To
From

Is one more correct from an etiquette standpoint?  It got me thinking!

pearls n purls

Re: Gift Tags
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »
I really don't think either is more polite/correct than the other.  If I'm buying gift tags, I buy them based on appearance.  I don't notice the to vs for until I'm writing on the tag.

WithoutIssue

• Coffee & Cat Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »
Not sure if this was just my parents' way of doing things but presents from Father Christmas said "For W.... from Father Christmas" whereas the one to us from mum & dad or relatives used the "To W..... from Mummy" etc.

I recall something about Father Christmas having lots of presents for lots of boys and girls and so the tag said who it was for but this is all a bit vague now.
A cynic is what the idealist calls a realist.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:44:44 AM »
I bet you a nickel that the graphic designers at Hallmark lobbied for "For" because:
1) it's one letter longer than "To," which is an awkwardly short word (visually speaking);
2) it begins w/ the same letter as "From," which means that they'll align perfectly on the left, and it might look cooler.

Reader

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
I use prior year's Christmas cards for gift tags.  I cut the cards in half, recyle the page where people sign their name and use the decorative front page for the tag.  I have always used To:   and From:

PeterM

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
I bet you a nickel that the graphic designers at Hallmark lobbied for "For" because:
1) it's one letter longer than "To," which is an awkwardly short word (visually speaking);
2) it begins w/ the same letter as "From," which means that they'll align perfectly on the left, and it might look cooler.

Makes sense to me. I'd also bet that "To" became standard because it's what people use for letters and packages. For actually makes more sense if it's something you're handing over or making available in person.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
I reuse gift tags for our immediate family from year to year.  They get saved per person in a little baggie. I have also started buying more decorative gift boxes that don't need to be wrapped (just a bow tied around them).  You might say it is less wrapping but I claim I am saving the environment! >:D

high dudgeon

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
I use prior year's Christmas cards for gift tags.  I cut the cards in half, recyle the page where people sign their name and use the decorative front page for the tag.  I have always used To:   and From:

Was it you who mentioned this on the board last Christmas? If so, I'm indebted to you! I cut up last year's Christmas cards to use as tags, and punched a hole in them near the crease so I could tie them to the ribbon on the package. They look awesome, and that never would have occurred to me otherwise! Thank you!

I usually write "To" and "From," but I think the other wording would work just as well from an etiquette perspective.

Reader

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
Must have been someone else, as I didn't join this forum until this year.