Author Topic: Icing Alternatives?  (Read 5413 times)

Miriam

Icing Alternatives?
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:33:32 AM »
I love baking. What I don't enjoy about making sweets is the icing. Cream cheese makes me ill so I try to avoid it as much as I can, so I switched to a powdered sugar icing that melts my teeth away. I've also tried chocolate ganache which is my preferable topping but at this point I'm ready for a real icing that I can handle. Any suggestions?
"All Was Well"

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Icing Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »
Have you tired butter cream?  I think it is to die for.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »
A meringue topping or a glaze can be really yummy

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
Here is a recipe that I previously posted:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=100128.msg2473377#msg2473377

It isn't as sweet as coventional frostings, and is listed as a filling recipe in some cookbooks.  It's my favorite, along with ganache.  It doesn't need to be refrigerated during normal temperatures, but might get too soft if the temperature is above 80 degrees F.

Good luck with your baking - isn't it fun!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:51:51 AM by doodlemor »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
I love baking. What I don't enjoy about making sweets is the icing. Cream cheese makes me ill so I try to avoid it as much as I can, so I switched to a powdered sugar icing that melts my teeth away. I've also tried chocolate ganache which is my preferable topping but at this point I'm ready for a real icing that I can handle. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what "melts my teeth away" means. I'm going to assume it means "too sweet".

"Powdered sugar icing" - My water (glace) icing is simply powdered (icing) sugar and water. I mix it with fruit juice or other liquids such as cold tea or alcohol for a flavouring. A citrus juice might cut the sweetness for you. If you have what I would call poured fondant icing, that's even sweeter as it has glucose syrup in it.

Butter icing is scrumptious. half butter, half powdered sugar and a bit of milk (or something else) to make it the right consistency. If you find that too sweet then perhaps icing isn't for you. I can't think of an icing which is less that 45% sugar.

I top sponge cakes with a drizzle. I like the juice of a lemon with three ounces of granulated sugar. Pour over the cakes and it dries to a hard crust.

Whipped cream can make a frosting. Whip the cream with some powdered sugar in it. Especially good with frosted fruit.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:00:35 PM by Bethalize »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
I'll ask the obvious question - if you don't like the icing then... why make icing? dust the cake with a little powdered sugar or cocoa powder if you must. or do the powdered sugar drizzle that Bethalize recommends. i rarely frost/ice cakes. in fact, i only frost/ice cakes if it's for a birthday or special occassion. otherwise it's jus plain cake. I usually add a dab of cream cheese (just cream cheese, nothing else added) to carrot or banana cake but that's about it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethalize

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
I'll ask the obvious question - if you don't like the icing then... why make icing? dust the cake with a little powdered sugar or cocoa powder if you must. or do the powdered sugar drizzle that Bethalize recommends. i rarely frost/ice cakes. in fact, i only frost/ice cakes if it's for a birthday or special occassion. otherwise it's jus plain cake. I usually add a dab of cream cheese (just cream cheese, nothing else added) to carrot or banana cake but that's about it.

Good point!

On a point of order, the drizzle I make is with granulated sugar. If you use powdered sugar you get a glace icing. I've edited my post.

veryfluffy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
You say you've tried ganache -- have you only done that as a chocolate glaze, or have you tried whipping that into a fluffy frosting? I've also done chocolate whipped cream: just put a couple of spoonfuls of cocoa powder into your cream and let it sit for a couple of hours before whipping.

strangetimes

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
I often do a glaze with (approx) 1 Cup powdered sugar, a Tlsp. oil a little vanilla and lemon juice. Then I add food colouring if I want a colour and a touch of boiling water at a time, until it's liquidy. You can also use cocoa powder to make it chocolaty- just leave out the lemon juice then.

My kids usually prefer that to frosting!

Bethalize

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
I just remembered - lemon curd, toffee sauce and chocolate spread. Not together,  but individually I've used them as toppers.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
Ooh a dollop of marscapone is good too.  I tried Swiss meringue buttercream for my sister's birthday since she doesn't like the sweet sweet frostings and that went over pretty well.  I have also made a purée of fruit and drizzled that on top of cakes with a little whipped cream

Miriam

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
I'm really excited to try these ideas!

I make icing because my mother and sister don't enjoy plain cakes or cupcakes or whatever that usually calls for icing. I've just had issues with going online and finding recipes that call for cups and cups of powdered sugar and me thinking I'm doomed to never find something that isn't soooo sweet.

I must have been going to bad places because I never knew there were so many variations. That's why I'm here  ;D
"All Was Well"

Bethalize

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
I must have been going to bad places because I never knew there were so many variations. That's why I'm here  ;D

:-) We are also coming up with new ideas. For example, I've remembered putting icing sugar together with peanut butter for peanut icing. Do you think that would work with apple butter?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
How bout a whipped cream topping?

My personal favorite is buttercream frosting though.  I add a little vanilla, powered sugar and a splash or so of heavy whipping cream.  If I want it less sweet, I use less powdered sugar or throw in some fresh lemon zest to offset the sweet.

A fruit topping can be really good too...maybe raspberries, blueberries strawberries or peaches...or something like lemon curd.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »

A whipped cream topping could work well - add a little sugar and some extract for flavour.

For loaf like cakes or muffins (lemon bread, for example) I don't ice them, but immediately after taking them out of the oven I drizzle with a mixture of fruit juice and sugar  which soaks into the top and gives a bit of sweet crunch when dried.

For coffee cakes, I use a mix of flour, butter and brown sugar, maybe with a bit of cinnamon, sprinkled over the top in a thick layer before baking. This makes a crunchy, rich, not as sweet as icing topping.

You could vary the ganaches - add liqueurs, make white chocolate ganache with fruit flavouring, etc.