Author Topic: Icing Alternatives?  (Read 4840 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Icing Alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
It might be nice to look for baked goods that aren't meant to have icing, just for some variety.  For instance, I have a recipe for pound cake that seriously would taste worse with icing than without it.  It's really meant to be served entirely on its own (with maybe just a dusting of powdered sugar).  I also make brownies that are so sinfully delicious, icing would actually detract from it. :)

The other thing is that icing recipes don't necessarily have to be followed exactly.  I don't make icing all that often (because I don't bake all that often), but the ones I gravitate towards are the ones I can play with a little.  Hershey's has a recipe for chocolate icing on the back of their Dutch Cocoa container that I really like -- it's cocoa powder, powdered sugar, butter, and milk.  I use the proportions in the recipe largely as a starting point, and to get the butter and chocolate ratios correct.  But once I've mixed the cocoa powder into the melted butter, I play the "add a little milk, add a little sugar, repeat" game until it's the right consistency with a flavor I like.  It would be entirely possible to make a dark chocolate icing that wasn't very sweet -- you just wouldn't add as much sugar and milk.  You'd end up with a little less icing that way, but you could always compensate by just increasing the recipe a little.

Glazes and other such icings can probably also be played with somewhat to reduce sugar content, as long as you can get the consistency the way it needs to be.

strangetimes

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 03:06:23 AM »
Ooh- and upside-down cake! I looove pineapple upside down cake!

There are other types of cakes that are meant to be self-frosting as well- I'm all for cutting out extra steps!

magician5

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
I switched to a powdered sugar icing that melts my teeth away.

If you mean an icing made with powdered sugar, I don't think you'll find much more than unadulterated sweetness. However, a scattering of powdered sugar (gently tap-tap-tapped through a strainer) can be very good.

"A real icing" probably isn't going to happen, but a topping with some substance can work wonders: fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries etc), is good ... or fresh fruit cut up and held in place by a brushing of clear gelatin, sometimes bedded in vanilla pastry creme or vanilla pudding, is very nice. Melted fruit preserves poured or drizzled or brushed over the cake, that's good. Shaved regular or white chocolate works well.

Consider a streusel topping instead of icing.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.