Author Topic: Do You know the Knish?  (Read 4293 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Do You know the Knish?
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »
This question came up on another board I visit and I thought I'd ask it here.

The knish (the k is pronounced) is one of NYC's little treasures.  Traditionally, knishes come in two shapes and two flavors.  The best are round and baked.  These come filled with kasha (buckwheat) or potato.  The potato variety also contains finely chopped onion and, if you're lucky, a bit of schmaltz (chicken fat). 

In my opinion, the square, fried variety is far inferior.  This is the kind you find frozen in the grocery or on the average food cart.  Most of them both look and taste like throw pillows. 

Although Yonah Schimmel is said to be the sine qua non of knishes, We preferred the late, lamented Mrs. Stahl's in Brighton Beach.  That place used to make a Spanish rice knish.  It also offered cocktail sizes and dessert knishes filled with fruit. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Do You know the Knish?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »
ahhhh bring back childhood memories...

i've had the schimmel knish about ... 5 years ago maybe. i was very UNimpressed. i prefer homemade, with kasha filling.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jennenen

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
See I love the square ones; I like the difference in texture between the crunchy outside and the smooth inside. Add some spicy brown mustard and I'm in heaven

learningtofly

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
I thought all knishes looked like baseballs until I was an adult.  I love spinach and potato knishes although mushroom and potato are a close second.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
It royally annoys me that NYC food carts don't have knishes worth eating. They are never hot enough and never crunchy anymore.  I used to love those things.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
At the Grand Army Plaza Saturday Farmer's Market, a dealer has big, tender and very delicious potato knishes. One is large enough to provide breakfast for two adults. 

It isn't quite traditional because it includes sour cream in addition to potatoes and onions but it's yummy. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
See I love the square ones; I like the difference in texture between the crunchy outside and the smooth inside. Add some spicy brown mustard and I'm in heaven

Mmmm... i like those, too, but with a ton of sour cream and salt.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
Oh square with crunchy corners is the way to go!  Slathered with spicy mustard.

The round ones are ok.  In grocery stores (Waldbaums, Keyfood,etc) you can get potato & spinach or potato & broccoli ones (generally round) which are good - those go better with dijon mustard though.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
The only time I can have a crunchy knish is to buy them in the supermarket and put them in the oven for a while.  So I will check my store this weekend....

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
The only time I can have a crunchy knish is to buy them in the supermarket and put them in the oven for a while.  So I will check my store this weekend....

This is what I do, too.  I buy a few at the deli and then heat them in my toaster oven.   Then I cut them open and dip them in spicy brown polish mustard.  I like the sour cream/salt suggestion mentioned above.  may have to try that, too.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
Ooooo, here is the Knish topic! I forgotten where it was and had started one in the "coffe break" section.

I had bought a spinach/potato from the deli section of the A&P not far from my parents' N.J. home. I heated it in the oven until it was heated all through and the crust was crispy. And found that I didn't care for the spinach in it. I ended up taking the crust off of it, mashing it up, adding a can of condensed mushroom soup, and a soup can of milk. Combined it well, and heated it up. It was a delicious soup!  ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
I must have posted this to another thread, but it does belong here:

http://theshiksa.com/2010/06/23/manhattan-delis-and-the-art-of-knish-part-2/