News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o Waking Up HouseGuests  (Read 9633 times)

blarg314

Re: s/o Waking Up HouseGuests
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
I think the majority of the responsibility falls to your son, but I also think it would be wise of you to help him figure out how to navigate it. :)

I think this is best. Your son should be acting like a host - make sure the guest knows which towels to use, and any schedule issues in the shower ("my mom leaves for work at 9, so don't shower until after she's gone"), and if sleeping in is an issue, point him to the coffee and cereal, and tell him to help himself when he wakes up.  He could also tell friend "If I'm not up when you are, knock on my door!" or ask you to wake him up.

Then all you have to do is reinforce it - greet the guest and point him to the coffee or shower.

From a general perspective - if a guest wakes up at 6am, I would expect them to amuse themselves in their room.  If a guest wakes up at 9, I would expect the host to try to be up as well. 

ShadesOfGrey

Re: s/o Waking Up HouseGuests
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
I say that it's your son's worry to be the proper host.

That doesn't mean that he needs to be the first one up, it means that he should make his guests feel welcome enough so that if they are up earlier than him they know that it's okay to turn on the TV or find a cup of coffee . . . or, in your case, he should make sure the friends are comfortable by saying something like "My mom's always up early. She'd have a cup of coffee with you. She's cool that way." (That is only if you're amenable to that situation.)

I'm betting that most college students (at least the ones that I know :P) aren't itching to get up and don't mind in the least an extra hour or so just to relax.

On the other hand, is your comment "if the Prince doesn't get up until noon, and his friend awakens at 9:00" true? or hypothetical?

If true, I wouldn't have a problem waking up Prince and saying "Your guest is awake . . . time for you to get up and be a proper host."

POD
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou