Author Topic: I'm an honest person, but....  (Read 7611 times)

Stormtreader

Re: I'm an honest person, but....
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »
Did you suggest to the woman that she could buy spare straps?
I dont think as a customer it would have occured to me to see if that was an option.

AmyBird85

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
I dont think as a customer it would have occured to me to see if that was an option.

I did consider it, but I thought that it would sound as if she had to "do something herself" to resolve the situation, which doesn't equal good customer service. Our store doesn't sell spare straps- I know that lots of lingerie stores do- but once again, referring her to a rival store is not really the best suggestion. She was so set on just taking the strap and having done with it, despite all of the other more honest options.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »

I did consider it, but I thought that it would sound as if she had to "do something herself" to resolve the situation, which doesn't equal good customer service. Our store doesn't sell spare straps- I know that lots of lingerie stores do- but once again, referring her to a rival store is not really the best suggestion. She was so set on just taking the strap and having done with it, despite all of the other more honest options.

That doesn't make sense to me at all. I completely understand that she was devious and annoying as all get out, but I'm having a hard time imagining why you would have 1) thought of a possible solution, 2) considered telling her about it, and 3) decided not to.

It sounds like this woman desperately wanted a solution. She wanted control of "something". Why not give her an option to fix her problem? Saying "I'm sorry we weren't able to get you the strap you wanted here, but I know replacements straps can be found online; you might try [X site]" seems like far better customer service than simply telling her "no".
Utah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »

That doesn't make sense to me at all. I completely understand that she was devious and annoying as all get out, but I'm having a hard time imagining why you would have 1) thought of a possible solution, 2) considered telling her about it, and 3) decided not to.

It sounds like this woman desperately wanted a solution. She wanted control of "something". Why not give her an option to fix her problem? Saying "I'm sorry we weren't able to get you the strap you wanted here, but I know replacements straps can be found online; you might try [X site]" seems like far better customer service than simply telling her "no".

I guess it depends on what your employer thinks about the situation.  At one job, I was free to tell customers where they may be able to find something we don't carry; at another, I wasn't allowed to mention that the store next door had exactly what the customer was looking for.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

I guess it depends on what your employer thinks about the situation.  At one job, I was free to tell customers where they may be able to find something we don't carry; at another, I wasn't allowed to mention that the store next door had exactly what the customer was looking for.

That would make sense, Dark Magdalena (heck, employers have all sorts of restrictions and hoops to jump through), but that didn't seem to be the OP's reasoning here.
Utah

AmyBird85

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

That would make sense, Dark Magdalena (heck, employers have all sorts of restrictions and hoops to jump through), but that didn't seem to be the OP's reasoning here.

Seeing as the customer rejected the offer of me phoning the directory and arranging a replacement for free, it would be more than certain that she would reject the idea of going to another store and having to purchase more straps. If the directory sends out an item and it is faulty they are obliged to replace that item free of charge. I know for a fact that I would not be pleased if I had to shell out more money to fix something I had ordered!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
What kind of bras have removable parts? I've never heard of such a thing. ??? Doesn't sound like they'd be very supportive. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:54 AM »
What kind of bras have removable parts? I've never heard of such a thing. ??? Doesn't sound like they'd be very supportive.

Usually just the straps are removable, or at least movable, that way they can be worn with any kind of back (you can make the straps longer then cross them and hook them wherever you need to on the back so that they don't show when you wear a cross-backed dress; or you can move the straps further out towards your shoulders if you're wearing something off the shoulder).  I can't find a link for the specific chart for which I'm looking, but I remember seeing one at JC Penny's once.

The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:22 AM »
If the manager said it was OK, she should have told the OP. In any store that I've worked at, if the manager overrode some policy, they'd bring the customer to the cashier and say, "Please ring this through for last week's sale price at 6.99" or "We're going to exchange this bra strap for that one even though it's a different one." Or they'd complete the transaction themselves.

By the way, customers lie about this kind of thing all the time. I used to see evidence of it constantly.