Author Topic: Butter  (Read 1155 times)

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
Butter
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
Need unsalted butter for a recipe but can't get it or find it's expensive? Or maybe there's a load of cream on sale at the supermarket that you just know you could make something good with but would never finish before it went bad? I have a the perfect recipe.

You will need:
A clean jam jar
Cream (UK use Whipping or Double, US You need Heavy cream)
Strong arms or a willing victim
Salt or other flavourings if required. (Try garlic and parsley, finely chopped sundried tomato etc)
Ten minutes approx.

Method
Pour the cream into the jar, you need some air space in there so don't fill it to the top.
Shake. No really, just shake, the cream will slosh about, then the sloshing will stop as it whips, then the heavy feeling will change and feel more like a lump of something solid sloshing around in liquid. This can take up to ten minutes but usually only about five. Kids find this amazing fun for some reason.
Drain the liquid into a container, this is buttermilk and can be used in other recipes.
Pour some icy cold water into the jar and shake, drain, repeat until the water pours out clear.
Remove the lump of butter and turn into your hand or onto a work surface, squeeze and work until little or no moisture comes out.
Work the seasonings through it if using.
Form into a shape or pack into a suitable container. Shapes can be wrapped in baking parchment for storage.
Keep in the fridge if not using immediately, otherwise store out of the fridge, it will set rock hard otherwise.

Freeze wrapped butter pats for up to 8 months.

This last year i made enough butter to last until spring, bearing in mind that hubby bakes a lot and we don't use margarine in this house, total cost using "reduced" cream that was being sold off cheap at our supermarket: less than 20. Some of the pots of cream were as low as 20p for a half litre tub.

Give it a try, if only once, we should all understand where our foods come from and there's something intensely satisfying eating something you made from scratch.

EmmaJ.

Re: Butter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:48 AM »
Oh, this sounds like a lot of fun!  I have a couple 9 year old nieces that frequently stay with me.  We always have fun in the kitchen when they are here - this sounds like a great project.

Does it matter if the cream is pasteurized?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »
Adding a wooden popsicle stick will make the churning much easier.  Actually I don't know if it has to be a wooden stick but that's what I was always told.

As a kid I was often tasked with making butter.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
We did this in Grade 2!  The jar got passed around the circle so no one had to shake for too long - I'm sure it took longer than 5 or 10 minutes, though.  Those of us with pony tails were shaking so vigourously that our hair was swishing in our faces.  So the teacher held our tails while we were taking our turn.

Thanks for bringing back a great memory.   :D

Emma, it doesn't matter if the cream is pasteurized.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
I did that with the cream which you used to get at the top of bottles of whole milk- in the days before homogenisation.
NE England

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
I did that with the cream which you used to get at the top of bottles of whole milk- in the days before homogenisation.

Oh wait - that's the word I was looking for!  Not pastuerized!

So... will it still work if the cream is homogenized?

EngineerChick

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
We did this in Grade 2!  The jar got passed around the circle so no one had to shake for too long - I'm sure it took longer than 5 or 10 minutes, though.  Those of us with pony tails were shaking so vigourously that our hair was swishing in our faces.  So the teacher held our tails while we were taking our turn.

Thanks for bringing back a great memory.   :D

Emma, it doesn't matter if the cream is pasteurized.

I remember doing this at about that age too!  If I recall correctly, we just shook the cream in the carton it came in.
Talk nerdy to me.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
I've done this before, except I made it in my stand mixer rather than in a jar. It was good, butter too. The only thing is, it was way way way more expensive to make it this way than to just buy butter. :(
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

Oh wait - that's the word I was looking for!  Not pastuerized!

So... will it still work if the cream is homogenized?

Do they homogenize cream?  Homogenization is the process of mixing the cream into the milk (otherwise the cream rises to the top).  I suppose they could homogenize different creams together...

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
I've made butter by accident, while whipping cream in the stand mixer and becoming distracted by my husband coming into the kitchen and dropping something that shattered on the floor - by the time we were done clearing the glass and sweeping up, voila, butter.  Whoops.  Had to go buy another pint of cream for making my dessert.

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »
I've done this before, except I made it in my stand mixer rather than in a jar. It was good, butter too. The only thing is, it was way way way more expensive to make it this way than to just buy butter. :(

That's why I wait until it's on sale. Fresh creamery butter is anywhere between .80p and 3.00 depending on brand name/quality. Buy a half litre pot of cream on sale or reduced to clear for 0.20p and you're way ahead. Summer is best for this around here because you find lots of supermarkets over-estimate how much cream people will want to go with their strawberries.