Author Topic: What do I do with 2lbs of Goat Cheese?  (Read 2491 times)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
What do I do with 2lbs of Goat Cheese?
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
I let it slip to my mother that I like goat cheese. Now, I have two pounds of this.

There's only so much straight cheese I can stomach before it stops being enjoyable I would hate for any of it to go to waste; any ideas?
Utah

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: What do I do with 2lbs of Goat Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
send it to me?

I'm wondering if it can be frozen. or maybe covered with olive oil to preserve it?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
If it can be frozen, make your own appetizer logs.  I've bought the one at Costco that has cranberries around the outside and I've seen the one with herbs.  If you divided it into smaller pieces and made various toppings to roll them in, then freeze them, you'd have quick appetizers for company and/or taking as a hostess gift/pot luck contribution.

If you want to just get it used up, I'd use it any place I'd use feta.  In salads, in pasta, on pizza, etc.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »
Mix it with pomegranate seeds.

Eat (plain, on toast, with crackers, with your face).

Die of happiness.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

mabelle

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
goat cheese and preserves tarts...and host ALL your buddies for a tea party! seriously, it 'acts' like a ricotta or marscapone in that it takes sweet as well as savory.

Buy some of that pastry-puff stuff, cut into 2"X2" squares, put a tablespoon or so of the goat cheese in the center, then dollop about a tablespoon of any of the jams on the list below (which I've done ALL of and attest to their yumminess) over the top...then fold the sides up and pinch the corners like this: and bake at the puff pastry's directed time/temperature... Also - that spinach one looks scrumptious...:)

OK - the list of possible jam toppings: apple butter (with or without pecans tossed in), jalapeno jelly, raspberry preserves, plum preserves, fig preserves, orange marmalade.

I've also creamed the goat cheese and seasoned/used like I would ricotta in stuffed shells or manicotti.

mabelle

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
please note - I'm a 'throw it together and see if it works' cook... sorry if my description doesn't read like a cookbook! Also, the tarts bake best in a cupcake/muffin type pan - it holds it together & makes it look pretty!

Betelnut

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
Goat cheese pizza!  Yum!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
Goat cheese pizza!  Yum!

I can send you a great pizza dough recipe for this one!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
All you need is a spoon.

No, really, I'll get back to you on this.  I have some great recipes.  But I'd start with a spoon.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
Chevre Chaud: Mix with a little olive oil, thyme (fresh or dried) and pepper. Spread in a small, low casserole dish (1/2 inch thick max). Bake at 350F until bubbly. Spread on toasted baguette slices. Serve on top of a nice mesclun or other dark green salad which has been dressed with a simple vinaigrette.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
Raw spinach + walnuts + dried cherries + goat cheese + balsamic vinaigrette = the best salad ever.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Raw spinach + walnuts + dried cherries + goat cheese + balsamic vinaigrette = the best salad ever.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
Get some good quality red pasta sauce, fresh basil leaves and nice baguette.

Put a good sized chunk of goat cheese in a ramekin (size depends on how much you want to make.)

Cover with pasta sauce and julienned basil, bake in 350 oven for 15-25 min (or bubbly.)

Slice up the baguette and spread the molten goat cheese with sauce on the the bread.

It is SOOOOOOOOO tasty. I could eat a giant bowl and whole loaf of bread all by myself!
No matter where you go, there you are...

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
Get some good quality red pasta sauce, fresh basil leaves and nice baguette.

Put a good sized chunk of goat cheese in a ramekin (size depends on how much you want to make.)

Cover with pasta sauce and julienned basil, bake in 350 oven for 15-25 min (or bubbly.)

Slice up the baguette and spread the molten goat cheese with sauce on the the bread.

It is SOOOOOOOOO tasty. I could eat a giant bowl and whole loaf of bread all by myself!

Brilliant!  I'm off to try that right now!

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
OK, I'm back.

First off, according to my Cheese Bible, chevre can indeed be frozen.  It does best left in the original airtight packaging.

Now onto my favorite recipes.

Fancy cheese croutons:  cut into 1/4" rounds, dip in egg wash, then panko breadcrumbs.  freeze on a wax paper sheet for 30 mins, then pan fry in olive oil until crumbs are crisp (but not to the point where the cheese melts all over) - serve on soup or salad.

Mashed potatoes:  Mix in while mashing as a substitute for butter to give a nice tart creaminess.

An adaptation of Chicken Cordon Bleu - instead of stuffing with ham and swiss, use prosciutto and chevre.

Pasta topping - one of my favorites is penne tossed with a balsamic cream sauce and wilted spinach, topped with chicken, chevre and toasted pine nuts.

Appetizer topping - it's lovely as a base for crostini with such yums as roasted red pepper or fig, or as a topper for fruit such as apples, pears, or dried apricots - add a candied walnut on top and you have something really divinely delicious (and pretty.)

Burger stuffing - I like it in a turkey burger, since turkey burgers are pretty blah to me - a couple of tbsp of chevre in the middle amps up the flavor and helps keep it all moist.