Author Topic: What do I do with 2lbs of Goat Cheese?  (Read 2363 times)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
Re: What do I do with 2lbs of Goat Cheese?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »
Get some good quality red pasta sauce, fresh basil leaves and nice baguette.

Put a good sized chunk of goat cheese in a ramekin (size depends on how much you want to make.)

Cover with pasta sauce and julienned basil, bake in 350 oven for 15-25 min (or bubbly.)

Slice up the baguette and spread the molten goat cheese with sauce on the the bread.

It is SOOOOOOOOO tasty. I could eat a giant bowl and whole loaf of bread all by myself!

Brilliant!  I'm off to try that right now!

Great! You won't regret it!

Ok, you might if you eat like two loaves of bread and a vat of goat cheese. LOL!!
No matter where you go, there you are...

CosmicChicken42

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
This is actually what I'm having tonight! Goat cheese and sundried tomato stuffed chicken with tons of thyme.  I usually add some red potatoes or asparagus for the sides. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »
Mix some honey in. The boys use that as a sandwich spread.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

something.new.every.day

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
I like to top goat cheese  w/ basil pesto and serve w/ crackers. 

(But I'll be expanding my horizons w/  all of these great ideas, too.)   ;D

Nibsey

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:37 AM »

I live on goats cheese, I pretty much have it with every dinner.

Fish pie- with goats cheese on top.
Stuffed mushrooms, peppers or tomatoes with a bit of goats cheese, garlic and bread crumbs as the stuffing.
Every salad I make  :)
My favorite though is thick slices of fresh wheaten bread spread with red onion marmalade, a dollop of goats cheese ontop which is put under the grill for a few minutes and then drizzle on different balsamic vinegar. (At the moment I'm really liking cider balsamic vinegar)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Wow! These are all great suggestions. Thank you all so much for expanding my culinary horizons  :D
Utah

Miss Misha

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
Wait, one more!
Slice goat cheese into 1/4" to 1/3" rounds.  Roll in seasoned breadcrumbs, place on cookie sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil.  Bake at 450 degrees until just warm, say 5 minutes (you want the cheese to hold it's shape).

Meanwhile, toss spinach or mesclun greens with your favorite vinagrette, preferably lemon-y.  Divide salad among individual plates.  Place goat cheese rounds on salad.  Eat with crusty baguette and your favorite soup.

And the bonus recipe that I made for Christmas for all my friends in 2010:
Cut logs in half, place in tall jars.
Add sprigs of either rosemary or thyme about the same length as the cheese.
Drop in two garlic cloves per jar along with a few black peppercorns.
Cover all with olive oil and let sit in fridge at least 2 weeks.
Bring to room temperature, fish out cheese, place on platter and serve with crackers or baguettes (I made homemade bread to go with the cheese for my gifts)

You can also use the oil for salad dressing or marinades once the cheese is gone.  BTW, this will hold in the coldest part of the fridge for months so you don't get goat-cheesed-out before you use it all up.

OneMochi

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »
I just used some leftover goat cheese in calzones last night (ready-made pizza dough, spinach, pesto, a mix of random cheeses, and whatever else in my fridge that looks like it could be at home in a calzone.)

jibby

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »
I know this thread is older, but I am delighted to have found it.  DH came home with a 20 (yep, 2-0) pound block of goat cheese.  I've already had a salad, goat cheese tacos (same as regular, I just switched the cheese) and the honey/cheese spread mentioned upthread. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
I want goats cheese now lol!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Mikayla

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
Get some good quality red pasta sauce, fresh basil leaves and nice baguette.

Put a good sized chunk of goat cheese in a ramekin (size depends on how much you want to make.)

Cover with pasta sauce and julienned basil, bake in 350 oven for 15-25 min (or bubbly.)

Slice up the baguette and spread the molten goat cheese with sauce on the the bread.

It is SOOOOOOOOO tasty. I could eat a giant bowl and whole loaf of bread all by myself!

Holy cow, does that sound good!

My go-to place when I visit family in Dallas is this Italian joint that makes killer spaghetti putanesca (olives, capers, anchovies).  And then they'd top it off with a thick slice of fried goat cheese.   It looked like they just rolled it in bread crumbs and sauteed it.  It was sooooo good.

It also makes incredibly yummy omelettes.