Author Topic: Please go in front, you have more than me  (Read 2842 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Please go in front, you have more than me
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
This just warmed me up inside and I have to share it!

I went out shopping yesterday.  I wanted to take advantage of the big sales that are going on.  I needed winter boots, new shoes (my feet grew during my pregnancy and never went back down to normal), and some clothes.  Most of my pre-preg clothes still don't fit me, and those that do fit me poorly or are really ratty.  Needless to say, this has had me down.

I went in to one of my favorite stores and found that they were clearancing stuff at 30% off already reduced prices.  This made for some amazingly priced clothing.  I took a bunch into the changeroom (they have a big changeroom to accomodate strollers and wheelchairs).  After 30 minutes of trying on pants and going up and up and up in sizes from what I normally wear, I finally found two lovely pairs 3 sizes bigger than my normal size.  Apparently even though I'm back to my pre-preg weight, my hips may never return to "normal".  :( 

So I was feeling a little low about the sizing.  The tops were 4 sizes bigger than normal to accomodate my newly ample bosom.  I didn't feel as bad about that.  ;)

I went to the checkout and took my place behind the only other person waiting.  It was a fairly short wait, but LK had started to fuss.  She was getting hungry and she's teething.  I rocked the stroller while I waited.  I was honestly just happy to be out and the clothing store was my last stop.  The woman in front of me turned around and said:
"Why don't you go first.  You have lots of things and I only have one."

I'd never heard that one before.  I've heard the reverse lots of times.  "You go ahead, you only have one thing."  But this was the first time that someone had used the phrase "You have lots, so you go first."

We got out of there quickly and I was able to go up to the children's centre to feed LK.

I hope that woman's generosity is returned to her a hundredfold by life.  She deserves it.

DuBois

Re: Please go in front, you have more than me
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »

I went out shopping yesterday.  I wanted to take advantage of the big sales that are going on.  I needed winter boots, new shoes (my feet grew during my pregnancy and never went back down to normal), and some clothes.  Most of my pre-preg clothes still don't fit me, and those that do fit me poorly or are really ratty.  Needless to say, this has had me down.

I went in to one of my favorite stores and found that they were clearancing stuff at 30% off already reduced prices.  This made for some amazingly priced clothing.  I took a bunch into the changeroom (they have a big changeroom to accomodate strollers and wheelchairs).  After 30 minutes of trying on pants and going up and up and up in sizes from what I normally wear, I finally found two lovely pairs 3 sizes bigger than my normal size.  Apparently even though I'm back to my pre-preg weight, my hips may never return to "normal".  :( 

So I was feeling a little low about the sizing.  The tops were 4 sizes bigger than normal to accomodate my newly ample bosom.  I didn't feel as bad about that.  ;)

I went to the checkout and took my place behind the only other person waiting.  It was a fairly short wait, but LK had started to fuss.  She was getting hungry and she's teething.  I rocked the stroller while I waited.  I was honestly just happy to be out and the clothing store was my last stop.  The woman in front of me turned around and said:

I'd never heard that one before.  I've heard the reverse lots of times.  "You go ahead, you only have one thing."  But this was the first time that someone had used the phrase "You have lots, so you go first."

We got out of there quickly and I was able to go up to the children's centre to feed LK.

I hope that woman's generosity is returned to her a hundredfold by life.  She deserves it.

How nice :)  I think that changing rooms aren't quite the same as supermarkets-I can see why she did that. It was very nice of her. I should probably do things like that more often, it is good to do these small acts of kindness.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »

How nice :)  I think that changing rooms aren't quite the same as supermarkets-I can see why she did that. It was very nice of her. I should probably do things like that more often, it is good to do these small acts of kindness.

It wasn't the change room that she let me in front of her for.  It was the actual checkout.  :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »

It wasn't the change room that she let me in front of her for.  It was the actual checkout.  :)
There is a woman who undoubtedly has stood in line after a tiring shopping trip with an armful of stuff to buy and a fussy baby in tow.  It must have been a relief for you to be able to get it done even a few minutes sooner. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
What a sweet thing to do.  I bet she was "paid back" already by seeing your eyes light up as she offered  :D

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
That was awesome!

I was bagging for a cashier one morning and the customer she was waiting on told us  that she had let a gentleman with a few items go ahead of her, as she had many items. She received her reward right away, when he told the cashier to ring up her items as well, and he would pay for them. She said she had about $30 worth of groceries, and couldn't have been more surprised.

YYEEAA for nice people!

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
I had a 50 percent coupon off anything in the store and gave it to the lady in front of me who was buying a very expensive mirror.  She paid for my item as well.   My item was a six dollar videotape.

I thought that was nice of her.