Author Topic: Teaching the art of accepting bad gifts  (Read 1883 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Teaching the art of accepting bad gifts
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
I read a blog called "Parenting Illustrated with [crummy] Pictures".  It's hilarious and all-too-often true.

Her most recent entry deals with teaching her four year old the art of accepting a gift you don't like.  It's pretty funny!  I had to share.  ;)

Teaching the art of accepting gifts

Petticoats

Re: Teaching the art of accepting bad gifts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
Aww, how cute! I've never seen that blog before, but I liked that entry. It reminds me a little of Hyperbole and a Half.

But yes, kids to have to be taught tact. I still remember when Mom gave me a perfume set given to her by her MIL, my grandmother. We were at lunch one day with my GM and she complimented me on the perfume I was wearing. I said happily, "It's that Chantilly set you gave Mom, only she didn't like it and gave it to me!" <crickets> Later, after Mom and I were home again, she explained why this had been a Not Tactful thing to say.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »
Teaching kids tact is not the easiest of things but it needs to be done.  The perception of small children can also be very instructive to adults.  Most reasonable people will give small children a bit of leeway, so long as they seem to be trying.

There's the classic TYN from a young child. 

'Dear Aunt X,
Thank you for the hat and mittens.  I like them but not very much. 
Love, Jimmy'.

audhs

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
I read a blog called "Parenting Illustrated with [crummy] Pictures".  It's hilarious and all-too-often true.

Her most recent entry deals with teaching her four year old the art of accepting a gift you don't like.  It's pretty funny!  I had to share.  ;)

Teaching the art of accepting gifts

I just lost an hour and a half on this blog, I'm hooked.  I laughed until I cried.  ;D

SheltieMom

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
When my daughter was little, I didn't want her to collect Barbie stuff, so I went to great lengths to talk (privately, of course!) about how "yucky" Barbie was. Her birthday is in December, and she had just turned 3 when her babysitter gave her a Barbie for Christmas. She opened it there, and I was terrified of what she might say. I didn't have to worry. She just gushed over how beautiful she was, etc. We got in the car, and she looked at me with disgust in her eyes, and said, "It's a yucky old Barbie." We decided it would be a good donation to our church's Christmas gift drive.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!