Author Topic: Alaska Cruises  (Read 9703 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Alaska Cruises
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
While we wouldn't want to sail on something like the Allure of the Seas, we'd like to tour it.   We have sailed on some very large ships and they aren't bad.  The dining rooms are arranged with dividers so the space seems far more intimate than it really is.  The only place you really notice the size of the thing is the main show lounge and, of course, the trek that seems like miles back to your cabin.

Girlie

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Holland American and Princess are actually owned by the same people (now), but the culture is different.
Holland America is normally considered, by cruising standards, to be a bit more formal, usually appealing to a bit of an older crowd.
Princess caters to a younger set, and has all the differences that normally come with that.

My sister lives in Anchorage, and used to work for Holland America on one of their trains that goes back and forth between Anchorage and Denali National Park. She quit a few years ago to pursue other things, but enjoyed what she did.
When my mom retired, she went to work for Princess, also in Alaska. She spends every summer at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge near Talkeetna. Cruisers often book a land/sea package, and the lodge is the "land" part of the deal. She loves it, and she loves Alaska.

I haven't been yet, and am so jealous of anyone that is going. But happy for you, too! You'll love it, I'm sure. :)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
We just got back from our Alaska cruisetour on Sunday morning.  It was hands down the most interesting, educational, busy vacation I've ever taken.  I needed a few days to rest up from it!

We landtoured in the Princess Denali and McKinley lodges, and cruised from Whittier to Yakutat Bay, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, ending in Vancouver.  The first two days in the Bays were awesome and unforgettable.  We spent all day outside on the decks in the rainy cold wind - and loved every minute of it.  I'm making a slide show out of the thousands of pictures taken; in case anyone is interested, I can share it when it's done.

Girlie

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
Maybe you met my mom, mrs deb! :) As for the pics, I'd love to see them. Alaska pics are always so beautiful.