Author Topic: Jay-z and Beyonce lockdown the ward?  (Read 4458 times)

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
Jay-z and Beyonce lockdown the ward?
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
When their baby was born, they had the ward on lockdown.  One dad couldn't get to his twins in the NICU.  If you want that much privacy/security, rent the whole wing in advance.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Jay-z and Beyonce lockdown the ward?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
When I read this, it made me very angry at the hospital administration for allowing this kind of thing to happen. 

Celebrities who wish for more privacy than the hospital can provide should arrange a private birth somewhere.  I find the whole notion that these two people are so important that their wishes override those of other patients to be preposterous and infuriating.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
It was disgusting behavior on their part on the part of the hospital for allowing it. 
The hospital also confiscated all the staff's cell phones to prevent cell photos.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
I agree - celebrities should not be treated as if their needs are more important than us "little people." I understand why they want privacy (I'm sure a secret photo of the birth would be worth a small fortune in today's media), but they do not have the right to inconvenience other people for it. As everyone else has mentioned, I'm sure that they could have found a private location other than a hospital ward for the birth, and keeping desperate parents from seeing their own sick babies is obscene. Shame on the hospital for that!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Searcher

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
Truly.  No celebrity is entitled to lock down an entire hospital ward.  I don't blame the other father for being totally furious that he couldn't get to his own wife and twins.

I think it's not just Jay-Z and Beyonce that owe him an apology-the hospital does too.

SiotehCat

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
I don't think Jay Z and Beyonce owe anyone an apology. They made their own arrangements with the hospital and the hospital accomodated them. That is all on the hospital.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
The hospital also confiscated all the staff's cell phones to prevent cell photos.

I am gonna be the voice of dissent.
My day job is at a healthcare company. Patient information protection is of the utmost importance but sometimes, unfortunately, even staffers violate HIPAA laws and patient privacy rules. Some of our facilities have this rule as a permanent thing, not only to protect the celebs, but patient information in general. Anyone can steal someones medical information just by snapping a picture of their records on a computer screen. Also, most people have smart phones these days. They can use them to facebook, twitter, take picutres, email, IM, etc... all it would have taken was one staffer to facebook that Beyonce and Jay-Z were there from their phone for it to become a problem.

A lot of celebs use our facilities partly because of this rule actually. They know they can at least get a minimal garuntee of privacy (where the staff is involved anyway) that way. A pretty big celebrity gave birth in one of our hospitals recently without any of this fanfare. She was flown in by chopper but none of the other extreme measures were put into place. (However, if I remember correctly this was a planned arrival as it the baby was born surgically and she had a private room so that may be where it's different.) In another case however, a nurse actually saw that a celeb had been checked in via emergency room and started calling all her family and friends about it. They also tried to take a photo of the celeb while they were in emergency surgery. She was terminated over it. :o Unfortunately, it's become necassary for the privacy of the patient (aka: celeb) to put rules like this in place because no matter how much you'd LIKE to trust the staff to be professional, inevitably there is always at least ONE staffer/patient of the facility/ someone visiting who will behave egriously. 

As far as closing the wing down, again, while I find it to be very very poor planning on the couples part and the hospitals, I understand the mindset behind it. Again, there would have been SOMEONE, whether it be staff or someone else at the hospital that would have tried to get a picture or autogpraph or something. That, or the possibility of a crowd gathering to get a glimpse once word got out. They had to control it somehow.

People think of celebs as open targets and feel entitled to a celebs photo, autographs, etc... I mean, even here on this forum, people defend "taking a celebs picture in a public area" quite often. It's not unthinkable that someone would have done so there. It's also not hard to believe someone would have tried to snap a picture of the baby and sell it to a tabloid. Or people would have, upon hearing the news that Beyonce and Jay-Z were there, started to gather at the hospital thus further burdening the staff, security, and possibly causing distress to other patients and their families.

Despite all of that... Do I like that they locked it down though? No. Do I condone the father not getting to his babies? No. I think a better solution would have been to admit them to a private suite as discreetly as possible and then limited the number of staff permitted to work the case. I am dissapointed in how the hospital chose to handle it, but I understand exactly why the hospital and celebs demanded that level of extreme privacy and took the measures that they did.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »
I think there are more details here that would clarify things. Admittedly I didn't do exhaustive research, but a quick Google shows that: 1) They did rent out a floor/suite of rooms (it wasn't just placed on lockdown), and this is apparently a service this hospital provides to anyone willing to pay for it (private/reserved space) 2). In several stories the only actual parent complaining of access issues is this one dad, when I would think there would be at least one other parent willing to go on record if it had been that big of a disruption and 3) even for that dad, the only specific incident I saw cited was when he was held IN the NICU for 20 minutes while Beyonce was transported in the hallway. I all seems a bit "tempest in a teapot" and generated a bit too much by one individual.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
I think there are more details here that would clarify things. Admittedly I didn't do exhaustive research, but a quick Google shows that: 1) They did rent out a floor/suite of rooms (it wasn't just placed on lockdown), and this is apparently a service this hospital provides to anyone willing to pay for it (private/reserved space) 2). In several stories the only actual parent complaining of access issues is this one dad, when I would think there would be at least one other parent willing to go on record if it had been that big of a disruption and 3) even for that dad, the only specific incident I saw cited was when he was held IN the NICU for 20 minutes while Beyonce was transported in the hallway. I all seems a bit "tempest in a teapot" and generated a bit too much by one individual.

Agreed.  I wondered if the dad was making a big old fuss to get his name in the papers and some $$$.

My first thought was that he thought he could come and go as he pleased, the hospital perhaps performed normal ID checks he objected to and he blamed Beyonce and Jay-Z.

Like someone said upthread - this was a hospital administration thing.  If Beyonce and Jay-Z were allowed to rent out the space, I doubt they were also the ones patrolling it and "locking it down".  They were probably kinda busy.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »

This is taken from the interview:

The arrival of Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s newborn daughter at a Manhattan hospital has inconvenienced a man who says the couple’s security team has prevented him from visiting his prematurely-born twin girls.

Speaking with the New York Daily News, 38-year-old Neil Coulon of Brooklyn says the security team has repeatedly stopped him from visiting the neonatal intensive care unit at Lenox Hill Hospital.

“These are children with problems in intensive care and you’re just going to take over the hospital like you own it? All I want is an apology,” he says.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
I'm with Sabbyfrog2. I think it could have been handled better, but it sounds like they were trying to keep the outside craziness to a minimum, from what I've read.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
TMZ is reporting that a bunch of women who attend a breastfeeding class are also complaining about their treatment, and feeling like they have been neglected. They are considering a lawsuit against the hospital.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/09/beyonce-baby-breastfeeding-hospital-lawsuit/#.TwtPtnqRnAo

I agree that this is more on the hospital, than on Beyonce and Jay Z, but I do think the gracious thing might be to apologize for others inconveniences, during this time.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
I think the hospital did a lousy job of handling this one.  I understand that even celebrities deserve privacy, especially during a time like this, when they just want things to be somewhat normal.  But I also think the hospital needs to tell them that there's only so much they can do.  For instance, let them rent a wing, where nobody goes in and out without permission.  But, do not compromise the common areas.  Other babies deserve to enjoy time in their parents' arms.

Basically, if the hospital can set something up so that the celebrity can enjoy his or her privacy and other patients don't even realize there's a celebrity present, great.  But other private patients should not be expected to accommodate their need for privacy.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
Did Beyon-(d the pale)-ce and the baby's father *ask* the hospital to lock down the ward?  If so, and if they need so much privacy, they could afford to have a private facility instead of impact others at a public hospital.  Heck, they could have built a delivery ward in their home if they needed to. Isn't that what Tom Cruise did?

I don't care if she has a fabulous physique and gets a lot of money for something - she still puts her pants on one leg at a time (if she wears any) and apparently some celebrities need a reminder that it isn't actually all about them. 

Asking the hospital to accommodate special security would be a blizzard of snowflakiness.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »
If you read the posts and/or links provided in this thread, you would have discovered that the couple paid the hospital 1.3 million for a private wing. Whether or not that's true I do not know.

Regardless, it sounds to me as though it was the hospital to blame for the inconvenience to others.

Making snide comments about Beyonce's sartorial choices are totally irrelevant.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.