Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

My clothes are church appropriate!

<< < (2/33) > >>

From what you describe, it sounds like you are within the norm for this congregation and she is trying to enforce a standard that is beyond that. She's rude and intrusive, and ignoring her may be the best way to go. If you were the only one in the church wearing knee-length skirts and collarbone-baring tops, while everyone else wore ankle-length skirts and turtlenecks, then she'd have more of a leg to stand on--but she'd still be rude in her approach.

--- Quote from: Searcher on January 09, 2012, 12:36:28 PM ---If that doesn't work, you might ask the pastor or elders for assistance.

--- End quote ---

It could be worth doing that anyway- her behaviour could easily put off potential new members of the congregation.

"I prefer not to talk about anyone's bosoms in church." or "I'm glad your bosoms are covered, too."
--- Edited to cut out some replies I think are indeed too rude.

Gosh, I am really sorry. I hate when people comment negatively on others' clothing choices to them. I can't think of a single moderately kind thing to say back except, "OK" or "Fine."

Well, that woman would've been apoplectic at my attire yesterday. My dress barely came to my thighs, and the sleeves were split (on purpose). I wore a hat, though.  :P I think "So kind of you to take an interest" would work very well.

--- Quote from: violinp on January 09, 2012, 12:59:26 PM --- I think "So kind of you to take an interest" would work very well.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately this woman might take it literally and not in the spirit in which it is intended.  I think it's too subtle to make clear to her that she needs to stop commenting to the OP on her outfits.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version