Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

My clothes are church appropriate!

<< < (2/33) > >>

Yvaine:
From what you describe, it sounds like you are within the norm for this congregation and she is trying to enforce a standard that is beyond that. She's rude and intrusive, and ignoring her may be the best way to go. If you were the only one in the church wearing knee-length skirts and collarbone-baring tops, while everyone else wore ankle-length skirts and turtlenecks, then she'd have more of a leg to stand on--but she'd still be rude in her approach.

mechtilde:

--- Quote from: Searcher on January 09, 2012, 01:36:28 PM ---If that doesn't work, you might ask the pastor or elders for assistance.

--- End quote ---

It could be worth doing that anyway- her behaviour could easily put off potential new members of the congregation.

jmarvellous:
"I prefer not to talk about anyone's bosoms in church." or "I'm glad your bosoms are covered, too."
:)
--- Edited to cut out some replies I think are indeed too rude.

Gosh, I am really sorry. I hate when people comment negatively on others' clothing choices to them. I can't think of a single moderately kind thing to say back except, "OK" or "Fine."

violinp:
Well, that woman would've been apoplectic at my attire yesterday. My dress barely came to my thighs, and the sleeves were split (on purpose). I wore a hat, though.  :P I think "So kind of you to take an interest" would work very well.

Searcher:

--- Quote from: violinp on January 09, 2012, 01:59:26 PM --- I think "So kind of you to take an interest" would work very well.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately this woman might take it literally and not in the spirit in which it is intended.  I think it's too subtle to make clear to her that she needs to stop commenting to the OP on her outfits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version