Author Topic: My clothes are church appropriate!  (Read 69110 times)

Calypso

Re: My clothes are church appropriate!
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »
I attended church last weekend for the first time in ages. The website said jeans were welcome, so i attended in jeans and a nice shirt.

The pastor, elders, and deacons were all wearing jeans with church t-shirts, some had added long sleeves under the t-shirts. The pastor set off a bottle rocket during the sermon, and just laughed when he realized he had burnt a hole in his shirt. Talking to the neighbours the next day, I found out that the pastor has ziplined in from the back, and rappelled down from the ceiling during services in the past.

I think I'm going to like this church.

Holy pyrotechnics, Batman!  ;D 8)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:18 AM »
I attended church last weekend for the first time in ages. The website said jeans were welcome, so i attended in jeans and a nice shirt.

The pastor, elders, and deacons were all wearing jeans with church t-shirts, some had added long sleeves under the t-shirts. The pastor set off a bottle rocket during the sermon, and just laughed when he realized he had burnt a hole in his shirt. Talking to the neighbours the next day, I found out that the pastor has ziplined in from the back, and rappelled down from the ceiling during services in the past.

I think I'm going to like this church.

Holy pyrotechnics, Batman!  ;D 8)

How big is the building? It'd have to be insanely big. The only time I could see that happening is when the youth of my denomination have a convention in a stadium.

Also, that is totally awesome.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

MrTango

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
I sing in the choir at my church.  We face the congregation.  Sometimes at heavily attended services or baptisms the front row is occupied. When it is we are sometimes counting the lights in the ceiling or forgetting to sing at all.  One woman wore a black mini-skirt to a baptism that is sometimes remarked on to this day.  "Remember that woman in the front row?" is all it takes.  So, think about what you wear.  Most anything is OK because we want you in church.  Anyone who carps about appropriate clothes isn't paying attention to Jesus' example.  He wants us there and is glad we are. But, that skirt was distracting, I admit it. And, the lady's figure was why such skirts were invented.  We men were all smiles at the recessional.

I'm also in the choir at my church.  Our choir area faces directly into the congregation, so the sopranos (who occupy the front row) need to be very careful to wear either pants or long enough skirts to avoid flashing the congregation.

There was the one unfortunate time where I had to ask my wife to take the cantor aside and let her know that it's probably not a good idea to wear white pants with a pair of purple & pink polka-dotted panties.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »
How big is the building? It'd have to be insanely big. The only time I could see that happening is when the youth of my denomination have a convention in a stadium.

Also, that is totally awesome.

It's a pretty good sized building. When not being used for services, the main room is the church gym, with a full-size basketball court. There is another room that is used for a video cast of the sermon, plus two weight rooms (one in a "curves" style setup).

Yesterday, the pastor came in wearing a BUNCH of bubble wrap. He kept stepping on it. :)

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

diesel_darlin

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
I dearly love my church, but I would seriously consider switching to Samanthas church if I happened to be nearby. ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »
Appropriate clothing for church is very subjective. 

I was born and raised a Catholic and appropriate dress depended heavily on which Mass you attended.  When I was a child, we usually attended the 7 am mass.  Back in those days, you had to fast from Midnight if you wanted to receive communion.  An early Mass made things easier because it was short.   Go to Mass, receive communion and stop off at the bakery on the way home for something from the bakery for breakfast.  The whole rigmarole took about an hour. 

People at the early Mass were usually people who had to work on Sunday.  Hospital personnel, policemen and other workers regularly showed up in uniforms or work pants and shirts. 

Later in the morning, things got more complicated.  Ten o'clock Mass could be quite dressy and last a long time with singing, incense and a complex sermon. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »

I was born and raised a Catholic and appropriate dress depended heavily on which Mass you attended.  When I was a child, we usually attended the 7 am mass.  Back in those days, you had to fast from Midnight if you wanted to receive communion.  An early Mass made things easier because it was short.   Go to Mass, receive communion and stop off at the bakery on the way home for something from the bakery for breakfast.  The whole rigmarole took about an hour. 

People at the early Mass were usually people who had to work on Sunday.  Hospital personnel, policemen and other workers regularly showed up in uniforms or work pants and shirts. 

Later in the morning, things got more complicated.  Ten o'clock Mass could be quite dressy and last a long time with singing, incense and a complex sermon.

To add to that, back in the 1960s, I remember some Catholic churches in New Hampshire would have a "skiers' Mass" in the winter. You could wear your ski clothes to early Mass and then head right out on to the slopes. At all other Masses, you'd be expected to dress appropriately for Sunday Mass, even if you were on vacation. I can remember the hassle of going to visit my grandparents for a week and having to pack a Sunday Mass outfit, which always took up space in my suitcase that I'd rather fill with books.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »

To add to that, back in the 1960s, I remember some Catholic churches in New Hampshire would have a "skiers' Mass" in the winter. You could wear your ski clothes to early Mass and then head right out on to the slopes. At all other Masses, you'd be expected to dress appropriately for Sunday Mass, even if you were on vacation. I can remember the hassle of going to visit my grandparents for a week and having to pack a Sunday Mass outfit, which always took up space in my suitcase that I'd rather fill with books.

When my dad was a kid in the 60's, his neighbor friends went to church in their pajamas, at the behest of their pastor, because he'd rather have them in the pew and underdressed than not there at all.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
When my uncle was a young priest in the late 1940s and early 1950s,  he was assigned to offer the 'Printer's Mass' in lower Manhattan.  This took place at about 4 am. 

On Saturday night, the printers were working their heads off to get out the Sunday papers.  Most of the workers were Irish or Italian and were Catholic.  It would be cruel to send them home only to wake up a few hours later and attend mass in their home parishes with their wives and children.  The 'Printer's Mass' took care of that.

You can imagine what men coming off from getting out the Sunday papers would look like.  Some would have ink on them.  All would be sweaty and very tired.  The Mass was simple, the sermon was very short and the guys could go home for a good, long Sunday sleep. 

greencat

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2012, 04:56:52 AM »
I have to ask - did she REALLY refer to your pants as dungarees?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
I remember when I was a little girl, the only acceptable thing to wear to church, in my parent's eyes anyway, was a dress or a skirt.  And I was a little girl in the 80's so it wasn't that long ago, either.   They relaxed and I eventually was allowed to wear a business casual look (dress pants and blouse) to church.  I was surprised when I went to a campus Mass with a friend in college and she wore jeans.  She shrugged and sure enough the priest didn't care when she talked to him at the end of Mass about other things!

Other than a broomstick skirt now and then (which I do find to be comfy) I wear jeans to church myself. :)  I find it's a lot easier to pay attention to what's going on and what's being said when I'm not focusing on how uncomfortable I am.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
BG: My dad was a preacher and my mom the pianist/organist (of course, I believe there is some unwritten law somewhere) of a very conservative fundamentalist Baptist church. What passed for decent clothing - especially for women - was very strict. FF to now: I haven't attended church for several years. I love my lazy Sundays!

Last year I was visiting my mom to help her prepare for a move. Her church was having a farewell party for her (she'd attended for over 20 yrs). I mentioned I only had blue jeans with me, and she replied without skipping a beat: "Then it's a shame you'll miss my party."  :o  I wasn't angry; in fact, I had to hold back the urge to laugh. Wearing jeans in mom's church - even on a Saturday afternoon when there's nothing going on - is considered a sin.

All this to say that I'm sorry you're getting the 3rd degree for your clothing choice, OP. This older lady is a busy-body and should concentrate on other things besides your wardrobe.  :P

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
You should send her to our church when we have pajama day. Bet she wouldn't ever complain again.  :)

I wish I'd attended your church instead of mine!  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Alas, she just has a notion that, as an elderly person, she's entitled to receive respect while giving none.   

Perhaps it's time for you to disabuse her of that notion!   ;)

I second that!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
At a mosque/masjid it is considered respectful to wear very modest dress (men & women) and cover one's hair (mostly for women, though men do wear prayer caps).  One time a woman in her 20s who was new to the community came to our masjid for the first time and did not have her hair covered.  An elderly man (no one knew who he was) went and loudly told her that her hair should be covered and doesn't she know any better than to be so disrespectful.  The poor woman turned around and walked out.  Luckily (and this is what I loved about our community) two nearby men who heard immediately pulled him aside and explained to him in no uncertain tone that it was completely inappropriate for him to approach the girl at all let alone chastise her about her clothing.  Meanwhile a nearby couple (young couple, used to babysit for their kiddos) went outside and apologized to the girl for that man's behavior, and said they understood if she felt uncomfortable, but if she was ok, would she please give the place another chance.  She ended up going home that night but did come back later without incident.  Never saw that man again...naturally the community was devastated  ::)

That's an awesome story. A win for the good guys!