Author Topic: My clothes are church appropriate!  (Read 70961 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: My clothes are church appropriate!
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
I know I'm late to this party but chiming in to say I'm so grateful I can wear jeans & a t- shirt to church & no one cares. Some wear suits & some wear shorts to my church - we get everything in between & I am soooo grateful! Pettiness over my clothing would keep me out of church. I am sooooo grateful for freedom.

ETA to add that I ride a motorcycle to church so I would like to know if this lady would want me to wear a dress on my motorcycle and show my bloomers off? or stick with the jeans? Hmm, tough call. I don't mean to make fun of her - it's just that people don't think about what they are saying sometimes.

No, no, you need to hang a garment bag on your motorcycle so that you can change when you get there.  ::)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
I know I'm late to this party but chiming in to say I'm so grateful I can wear jeans & a t- shirt to church & no one cares. Some wear suits & some wear shorts to my church - we get everything in between & I am soooo grateful! Pettiness over my clothing would keep me out of church. I am sooooo grateful for freedom.

ETA to add that I ride a motorcycle to church so I would like to know if this lady would want me to wear a dress on my motorcycle and show my bloomers off? or stick with the jeans? Hmm, tough call. I don't mean to make fun of her - it's just that people don't think about what they are saying sometimes.

Well at least these days people are more safety conscious and don't go tearing aroud narrow country lanes wearing a suit, clerical collar, bowler hat and spats like my Grandpa used to!
No, no, you need to hang a garment bag on your motorcycle so that you can change when you get there.  ::)
NE England

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
A friend of my aunt's met her hubby on a bike trip (I think it was Bike Virginia) and when they got married, the friend wore white biker shorts under her wedding dress and instead of taking a limo to the reception, the bride and groom boarded a tandem bike, she hitched up her skirt, and they pedaled off. :) I didn't see it myself but when I heard of it, I thought it was pretty funny. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynnv

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »

There is a thought for Sunday mornings.  :>  I am also glad that my church is such that casual attire, up to and including whatever motorcycle gear is appropriate to the day, will (at most) get some of the old folks talking (the "Back in the day, I rode a Triumph......") and telling stories that never end about their motorcycle years.  I like those stories, so that doesn't bother me unless I am trying to get somewhere.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

AdakAK

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

I'm Catholic and our Deacon rides a motorcycle to church.  :)  Our church is also a mix, jeans to suits.  The only thing I don't like is the very revealing clothing, especially when the girls would wear super short skirts/shorts and low cut tops to sing in the choir.  I know it's Texas, and it's hot outside.  These were the styles I saw around town too so I guess it was what was 'in'. 

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

I have worn a dress under my riding suit...

MissRose

« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »

I'm Catholic and our Deacon rides a motorcycle to church.  :)  Our church is also a mix, jeans to suits.  The only thing I don't like is the very revealing clothing, especially when the girls would wear super short skirts/shorts and low cut tops to sing in the choir.  I know it's Texas, and it's hot outside.  These were the styles I saw around town too so I guess it was what was 'in'.

I'd much rather someone come to Mass wearing a plain shirt and decent fitting pair of clean blue jeans (or even a long pair of shorts that reach the knees) compared to the fashion parade I saw coming into Mass, in the Communion line and leaving Mass by females of various ages:

*strapless dresses or shirts
*spaghetti strapped dresses or shirts
*shorts that barely cover the bum, some of them appearing to be nearly skin tight
*tank tops
*cleavage exposure
*skirts or dresses that barely covered the bum

I thought most of them were dressed better for the beach, pool or the street corner compared to Mass.  At least I am glad my mother insisted on clothes that had to be neat, clean, decent and modest even if they were not super dressy at times.

Xandraea

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »

My church is like this, with a few dressing in "Sunday best" women in dresses, pearls and heels, men in suits, but most in slacks and polos, jeans and t-shirts, skirts/shorts and t-shirts.  The only thing that really draws my attention is revealing clothing (low-cut or barely-there tops, tiny skirts, short shorts) and/or extremes (super-fancy clothing or the occasional pajama'd teen).  Everyone is welcomed, however.

I've also sung in choirs and music teams for over a decade and, the music director at my home church and the one I attended for two years when I moved out of state both make a point of reminding us of appropriate dress for the platform, being no strapless/sleeveless/low-cut tops, skirts must be at least knee-length, and to remember the congregation is looking up at us, and as worship leaders we are not to draw attention to ourselves or be distracting.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »

I'd much rather someone come to Mass wearing a plain shirt and decent fitting pair of clean blue jeans (or even a long pair of shorts that reach the knees) compared to the fashion parade I saw coming into Mass, in the Communion line and leaving Mass by females of various ages:

*shorts that barely cover the bum, some of them appearing to be nearly skin tight
*tank tops
*cleavage exposure

I thought most of them were dressed better for the beach, pool or the street corner compared to Mass.  At least I am glad my mother insisted on clothes that had to be neat, clean, decent and modest even if they were not super dressy at times.

My cousin is a priest. At his church, during Communion, the priest stands one step up from the people receiving Communion. My poor, dear cousin says he gets more than an eyeful every Mass, because of the low-cut tops and tube tops and strapless tops, which from his vantage point, he has a difficult time not looking down into.

But the pastor is afraid to address the subject, because he worries that instead of dressing properly for Mass, people will just stop coming.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jmarvellous

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »

*tank tops
*cleavage exposure

My cousin is a priest. At his church, during Communion, the priest stands one step up from the people receiving Communion. My poor, dear cousin says he gets more than an eyeful every Mass, because of the low-cut tops and tube tops and strapless tops, which from his vantage point, he has a difficult time not looking down into.

But the pastor is afraid to address the subject, because he worries that instead of dressing properly for Mass, people will just stop coming.

Why does he care?

I mean this seriously. If your goal is to minister to anyone and everyone, their wardrobe choice should make ZERO impact on this mission.

I have a particularly hard time understanding why spaghetti straps or tank tops, among the examples listed above, are a problem. They just are different fashion choices, and I'm pretty sure shoulder exposure isn't hurtful.

(I understand that people in Catholic churches are supposed to cover their shoulders. I just am completely befuddled by it.)

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
I believe it's because the priest is getting an eyefull of bosom and could probably do without that distraction at mass.  In some Church's the Priest stands on a step which makes him higher than the person he is giving communion to.  Therefore he would get a birds eye view so to speak of cleavage. 

I get that fashion choices shouldn't matter but there's this little thing called respect.  That should matter. 

Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
Eh, I just don't think tank tops are disrespectful.

Or even distracting.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
...    I get that fashion choices shouldn't matter but there's this little thing called respect.  That should matter.

That's exactly what my Mom used to say.  "You aren't going to a sleepover at your friend's house.  You're visiting God's house.  Dress respectfully!"

Iris

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
Eh, I just don't think tank tops are disrespectful.

Or even distracting.

Most heterosexual guys I know would find a large expanse of exposed bosom distracting, even if it was only because they were thinking "Oh my goodness, mustn't look there!"

I have zero sexual interest in women and if someone in a low cut top knelt down in front of me and I then had to look down at her (which you would have to do to administer communion) I'm sure I would be distracted from whatever my train of thought was. I'd be thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if she knows I can see most of her bra. Should I let her know? Is that my place? I might ask ehell." or something of the kind.

I'm pretty relaxed about what people wear to church but in any situation you need to be aware of your position in relation to others. I bend over a lot in my professional life, so I don't wear lowcut tops to work for example.

In terms of disrespectful, however, I think that is between an individual and their particular deity.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:44 AM »
...    I get that fashion choices shouldn't matter but there's this little thing called respect.  That should matter.

That's exactly what my Mom used to say.  "You aren't going to a sleepover at your friend's house.  You're visiting God's house.  Dress respectfully!"

My church (Catholic) bulletin says "With the warm summer weather upon us, please remember that modesty is a gift we can give to God."  Thus far I haven't seen anyone dressed inappropriately.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata