Author Topic: My clothes are church appropriate!  (Read 70916 times)

It's good to be Queen

Re: My clothes are church appropriate!
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
At my church (a typical mainline protestant denomination) we like to say that we have a very strict dress code--  You must wear clothes!  (In other words, any clothing is acceptable, all are welcome!)

LilacRosey

Re: My clothes are church appropriate!,lilacropsey
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
I love this! so useful! Thank you etiquettehel.com!

magician5

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2012, 05:06:38 AM »
At my church (a typical mainline protestant denomination) we like to say that we have a very strict dress code--  You must wear clothes!  (In other words, any clothing is acceptable, all are welcome!)

I'm extremely offended - I belong to the naturist sect of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and we believe you'll never get to Spaghetti Heaven with clothes on!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

White Lotus

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Buddhist temples do have a dress code. Some temples with a lot of tourist visitors, like that of the Emerald Buddha in Thailand, strictly enforce it. They pass out camp shirts and sarongs to all inappropriately dressed comers.  Cover the torso from the collarbone down, arms to the (more or less) elbow and legs to the (more or less) knee. No head coverings.  Other than that, clean and tidy is good. Many of us carry a lace or sheer jacket or shawl, or a long-sleeved cotton shirt to be worn as a jacket, in the car during warm months.

However, our sect's temples never turn anyone away because of attire.  We figure they'll figure it out soon enough.  This is both to prevent distractions -- that body builder in his tight tank tops was pretty darned distracting until another gym rat enlightened (pun intended) him -- and also focus our minds on the purpose of our attendance, which is Buddhist practice.

Auryn Grigori

« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2013, 03:39:29 AM »
I think you need to make her a (high-collared) t-shirt that says, "At least my bosoms are covered."

LOL! If I lived near the OP, I'd be tempted to show up in my Renaissance Festival outfit...(that is, LOTS of cleavage), point to the OP with her collar bones showing, and say "That's not an exposed bosom," and then point to myself and say, "THIS is an exposed bosom."

Be my friend! I think that I would do that. Or if I was the OP wearing a shirt that only exposed my collarbone, my response would be "My dear lady, I think you are mistaken. My bosom is down here. This is my collarbone." And I probably deserve a spot in E-Hell for that one.

Asharah

« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
Buddhist temples do have a dress code. Some temples with a lot of tourist visitors, like that of the Emerald Buddha in Thailand, strictly enforce it. They pass out camp shirts and sarongs to all inappropriately dressed comers.  Cover the torso from the collarbone down, arms to the (more or less) elbow and legs to the (more or less) knee. No head coverings.  Other than that, clean and tidy is good. Many of us carry a lace or sheer jacket or shawl, or a long-sleeved cotton shirt to be worn as a jacket, in the car during warm months.

However, our sect's temples never turn anyone away because of attire.  We figure they'll figure it out soon enough.  This is both to prevent distractions -- that body builder in his tight tank tops was pretty darned distracting until another gym rat enlightened (pun intended) him -- and also focus our minds on the purpose of our attendance, which is Buddhist practice.
Saw that on "THE AMAZING RACE" a couple of times. In Season 7, one place in India handed out scarves so people could cover their head before entering. And in Season 9, one female racer was stopped at the gate of a temple in Thailand and given a shirt and long skirt to put over her tank top and shorts before entering.
Asharah

cwm

« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

Saw that on "THE AMAZING RACE" a couple of times. In Season 7, one place in India handed out scarves so people could cover their head before entering. And in Season 9, one female racer was stopped at the gate of a temple in Thailand and given a shirt and long skirt to put over her tank top and shorts before entering.

I was in Italy during a huge Catholic festival. I can't remember what it was, but at each of the cathedrals we toured, if you didn't have clothing that would cover from approximately your collarbones down to your knees, you'd be offered a shawl or skirt to rent for a small fee. You'd give it back when you left and the nuns would wash them every night, but it let all the tourists still enjoy the history without disrupting the faithful there and managed to offset the laundry costs. (I think it was about the equivalent of a quarter to rent the shawl/wrap.)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
I remember what my best friend said to me the first time I attended church with her. My whole family had only ever done church with the whole "Sunday best" view, and I hadn't ever been (well once as an infant), I didn't own "Sunday best", and my mother couldn't figure out what to put me in (I had to be about 12 or 13 at the time). So I asked my best friend to help me and she said "Just wear whatever, just make sure it's clean, what you wear to school would be fine", and I brought up the "Sunday best" to which she said "Look, God made you naked right? You really think He cares what outfit you wear? No, he doesn't. So no one else should either", that's still her stance. She wears jeans and flip flops to church without a second thought. After all, God doesn't care, why should you?

The church Partner and I occasionally attend has the "just wear clothes" policy. One day there was a young guy (late teens/early 20s) with a blue mohawk and decked in the traditional punk attire. And this older lady approaches him, dressed in a long skirt and button down blouse, she taps him on the shoulder and asks if he's here alone, when he says he is she says "Well, my husband is ill and couldn't make it today, would you mind sitting with me and keeping me company during the service today?" he smiled extended his arm and said "It'd be my greatest pleasure" and walked her to her seat and sat right next to her. Every time we've been since, he's sat right next to her. He's brought friends of his along and they sit on his other side. It's the coolest thing to see.

Xandraea

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »
*snip*

The church Partner and I occasionally attend has the "just wear clothes" policy. One day there was a young guy (late teens/early 20s) with a blue mohawk and decked in the traditional punk attire. And this older lady approaches him, dressed in a long skirt and button down blouse, she taps him on the shoulder and asks if he's here alone, when he says he is she says "Well, my husband is ill and couldn't make it today, would you mind sitting with me and keeping me company during the service today?" he smiled extended his arm and said "It'd be my greatest pleasure" and walked her to her seat and sat right next to her. Every time we've been since, he's sat right next to her. He's brought friends of his along and they sit on his other side. It's the coolest thing to see.

If more people behaved like this (on both sides), the world would be a better place.  What a perfect demonstration of "Love your neighbor as yourself".  Bravo to both the older lady and the young man.

kudeebee

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
*snip*

If more people behaved like this (on both sides), the world would be a better place.  What a perfect demonstration of "Love your neighbor as yourself".  Bravo to both the older lady and the young man.

Where's the like button?  What a great example this woman is for the rest of us!

Hillia

« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
When I was about 12, I got a new sundress that I loved.  It had a halter neck with straps that tied at the back of the neck, and an open back.  Absolutely not appropriate for our fairly conservative Catholic church in 1974.  I knew my mother wouldn't let me wear it to church, so I hid in my room til the absolute last minute to jump in the car - too late to change.  My mother was furious, but all she had time to do was grab a sweater out of the hall closet and make me wear it over my dress.  In South Texas, in August, in a non-air conditioned church.

Last time I tried that little trick.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MissRose

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »
My mother's (and mine) now, we have a pastoral administrator who does everything but say Mass & stuff reserved for the priest that comes in on the weekend etc. She has not hesitated to tell anyone who serves as an  usher, reader, or other Mass minister type that they are not dressed modestly, decently, and appropriately that they cannot serve if not dressed a certain way.  As I do a serving role sometimes, I ensure no matter if its my weekend to serve or not, I am dressed accordingly, and modifying my wardrobe choices as needed.

I've been to a few churches where those in serving roles mainly in summer time were wearing items better for the beach or the pool.  I've not been back to those places since.

My aunt's church where her and her husband both serve ask that people wear clothing, shoes and accessories that are either business casual or business office/professional dress code that is also decent & modest even if its not their weekend to help.  So if they are needed to fill in, there is no issue with their clothing.

mstigerlily

« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »
"Look, God made you naked right? You really think He cares what outfit you wear? No, he doesn't."
Love this!!!

One day there was a young guy (late teens/early 20s) with a blue mohawk and decked in the traditional punk attire. And this older lady approaches him, dressed in a long skirt and button down blouse, she taps him on the shoulder and asks if he's here alone, when he says he is she says "Well, my husband is ill and couldn't make it today, would you mind sitting with me and keeping me company during the service today?" he smiled extended his arm and said "It'd be my greatest pleasure" and walked her to her seat and sat right next to her. Every time we've been since, he's sat right next to her. He's brought friends of his along and they sit on his other side. It's the coolest thing to see.
I want to hug this old lady.
I imagine if she'd have gone up to mohawk guy and reamed him out, he'd probably have never come back. By being kind and unjudgemental she not only made him comfortable enough to come back but also to bring his friends. Little acts of kindness like this just make the world so much a better place.