Author Topic: Christmas Morning--Is the Coffee Ready?  (Read 10792 times)

Danismom

Re: Christmas Morning--Is the Coffee Ready?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:45 AM »
I think the difference here is that MIL didn't come out of her room when expected.  After about 10 minutes, I think the OP would be okay to knock.  MIL said OP didn't need to knock to wake her up and OP didn't.  However, when MIL is significantly late exiting the room to get things going then a kind knock can let her know that not only are they awake but they are also ready for things to get going.

Perhaps I think that MIL realized baby was awake but didn't realize that everything was ready for the morning.  She may've thought that the morning routine (changing the diaper, maybe a breakfast bottle, etc) took longer than it did and she thought she had more time between the baby's wake up cry and ready for presents.  It sounds like she was ready in the room but didn't realize that the family was ready for her. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
... It sounds like she was ready in the room but didn't realize that the family was ready for her.

I think this is the dividing line between those that think MIL was rude and those that think she was fine. 

Myself, being in the MIL_was_rude camp, think that since Baby opening presents was the reason MIL was there, and that there was a small window in which to do this.  I think MIL should have gotten up as soon as she heard the baby wake up and been ready and waiting by the tree.  The only reason I can think of to dawdle in the room "waiting for the coffee to be ready" is to take control and once again be the Important Person For Which The Festivities Wait On.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
I think the difference here is that MIL didn't come out of her room when expected.  After about 10 minutes, I think the OP would be okay to knock.  MIL said OP didn't need to knock to wake her up and OP didn't.  However, when MIL is significantly late exiting the room to get things going then a kind knock can let her know that not only are they awake but they are also ready for things to get going.

Perhaps I think that MIL realized baby was awake but didn't realize that everything was ready for the morning.  She may've thought that the morning routine (changing the diaper, maybe a breakfast bottle, etc) took longer than it did and she thought she had more time between the baby's wake up cry and ready for presents.  It sounds like she was ready in the room but didn't realize that the family was ready for her.

That's what I was trying to say earlier (but wasn't being clear enough); I agree on all points.