Author Topic: Puzzlement  (Read 3505 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Puzzlement
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
The way the 'How is Your Family Weird?' thread seems to be veering off into puzzles.

We have a number of puzzle people here.  How about a thread on our puzzling preferences?

I love the NY Times crosswords and Double Crostics. 

I also enjoy British crypic puzzles.  Finding a book of these is a treasure.  The high point of  my month is when the new Harper's arrives.  I dearly love the variety cryptic in each issue.  It's as good as a lobster dinner.

However, I strongly dislike Sudoku.  I understand that they're accessible to anyone anywhere in the world but I resent them.  The shelf space given over to Sudoku in the book shops has severely reduced the number and variety of crosswords available.  How dare they st stocking Daily Telegraph puzzle books!  >:(

sidi-ji

Re: Puzzlement
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Love the NY Times crosswords also. I saved up  several daily,  and one Sunday puzzle to have during my  vacation. :D  I also enjoy Scrabble, Jumbles, acrostics, ciphers, and yes...Sudoku >:D

Betelnut

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Sorry OP but Sudoku--every day.  Right now I'm obsessed with jigsaw Sudoku.  Challenging!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:19 AM »
No problem.  We each have our own preferences.  That's why this thread is here. 

Frankly, I find that Sudoku gives me a headache.

Any Ken-Ken fans out there? 

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
I love crosswords of many kinds, and am trying to get into cryptic crosswords.

I like anything with wordplay and/or trivia, and have recently discovered Hashi

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »
I do the occasional sudoku, and I love love love word searches. Havent done any in awhile though... hmmm. OP, now I must go get a word search book while I am out!

lilfox

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
Big fan of crosswords, particularly the Sunday NYT and the Washington Post Sunday one (I can't recall who does that, it's also carried in other papers).  I tend to do them back to back, so my personal pet peeve is when they repeat clues between the two puzzles, sometimes on the same day's puzzles!

Sudoku, both samarai and original flavors.  Not as big a fan of the 4x4 blocks, the ones that use letters, though.

Anagrams/jumbles, especially the Scrabble (game) one.  I've occasionally done the cryptics but our current paper doesn't have a good one.  Never heard of cryptic crosswords, that sounds really challenging!

Actual jigsaw puzzles.  DH's extended family are big fans too, so I brought some of my favorites to share over the holidays.  Two of them weren't even considered due to perceived difficulty, and after I left they finally gave up on the one we started because I wasn't there to keep hacking away at it.  And I didn't even bring the one that doesn't have edge pieces ("Impossible" puzzle type).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
Speaking of jigsaws, does anyone remember the Springboks from the 1960s?  How about the two-sided jigsaws with a different scene on each side or the solid color jigsaws? 

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
I love word puzzles. The ones found in the Dell and Penny Press Variety puzzle books are great. I play daily on allstarpuzzles.com. I've had to peel myself off the Word Mine games there as I was getting addicted and neglecting my household. The only word puzzles I don't really like are word search puzzles, as they're not really about vocabulary but about visual skills (IMO) and they hurt my eyes.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
The word search puzzles in Games Magazine are interesting.  Once the words have all been circled, the leftovers spell out an interesting or humorous quotation.  They don't tell you it's there but it does make the game more interesting.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
Jigsaw puzzles ftw. But you gotta have a space to do them, and then another space to display them.
Words mean things.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
I love diagramless crosswords and cross-sums. 

I do admit to Sudoku, also, because it's on my Nook.

GreenHall

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »
Kakuro.
Never caught on very big, so hard to find books now, but I do have an app that I like.
( I guess sudoku crossword would be one way to describe.  Laid out like a crossword with intersecting points, like sudoku you use 1-9 up to once per line, but you have to add up to a number given by the puzzle on the side of each line.  I assume the math part is why it didn't catch on ( and it is highly embarrassing the number of simple math mistakes I make at times)).

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
The word search puzzles in Games Magazine are interesting.  Once the words have all been circled, the leftovers spell out an interesting or humorous quotation.  They don't tell you it's there but it does make the game more interesting.

*perks up* Another Games fan? Cool!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
Ooh, yes.  Games Magazine is wonderful.  I love the 'World's Most Ornery Crossword', the cryptic crosswords, and the outrageous things that Bob Stigger comes up with. 

In the early days of Games Magazine each issue included a fake ad.  A classic was the ad in the 1980s  for the combination word and food processor. 'We won't mince any words talking about our product,  but we could'.  Finding the fake ad was part of the Games Magazine experience.