Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

When someone thinks your age makes you less than her...

(1/7) > >>

Mental Magpie:
Dark Sister just told me this story and she doesn't know what she should have done.

BG: Dark Sister's future sister-in-law is 40; Dark Sister is 26.  Dark Sister graduated from college at 24 then immediately entered into law school.  FSIL is a college professor.  END BG.

Any time FSIL brings up her undergraduate classes and her students, she says to Dark Sister, "I'm sure you can relate, Dark Sister."  Well no, no she can't; there is a big difference between 26 and 18-22 and between undergraduate and graduate school.  Dark Sister is insulted by the insinuation.  I told her to say, "What an interesting assumption."  Any other suggestions?

TurtleDove:
Unless there is more to this story, I would take it as FSIL trying to relate to Dark Sister and not as a putdown.  She likely sees it as "being a student is something Dark Sister can relate to" and not "Dark Sister is just like someone who just graduated from high school! How twee!"

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: TurtleDove on January 11, 2012, 10:37:10 AM ---Unless there is more to this story, I would take it as FSIL trying to relate to Dark Sister and not as a putdown.  She likely sees it as "being a student is something Dark Sister can relate to" and not "Dark Sister is just like someone who just graduated from high school! How twee!"

--- End quote ---

Ah yes, I did say that to Dark Sister.  She said the tone was very condescending, like a sickly sweet voice with a pat pat on the head.

ETA:  I'm still on the phone with her, so I posed it when you mentioned it.

Shoo:
Dark Sister should simply ask, "Why do you think so?" and let the question just hang there.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: Shoo on January 11, 2012, 10:48:13 AM ---Dark Sister should simply ask, "Why do you think so?" and let the question just hang there.

--- End quote ---

Dark Sister says, "Am I allowed to tell her she is wrong if she actually answers?"

As in
FSIL, "You can relate, DS."
DS, "Why do you think so?"
FSIL, "Because you're in school."
DS, "But I am older than most students and I'm in Law School now, which is nothing like undergraduate school."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version