Author Topic: Open your tank.  (Read 2011 times)

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
Open your tank.
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
Oops!  wrong board...mod please move.

This is something that is a minor peeve and I'd like to know if anyone else thinks it is rude.

As many of you know, here in NJ we are forbidden by law to pump our own gas.  An attendant has to pump the gas for us.  Almost every single time I pull up to the pump, the attendant heads straight for the tank, usually bypassing my window.  They wait maybe 2 seconds and bark "open your tank."  Even when they attach a please their tone sounds impatient.   Before, I open the tank I need to shut my engine off (otherwise, they bark "turn off your engine") and to do that I need to first open my window so I can tell them what I want (ie $40 regular cash).  It only takes seconds.  I'm usually reaching down to open the latch when they 'bark'.  If they would stop by the window first and ask me what I need (instead of standing at an awkward angle behind my head-my tank is on the driver side) I would be ready and it would actually be good customer service. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:38:13 PM by KitKat »

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
Re: Open your tank.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
That would be a lot better.  That said, you're only taking a few seconds.  I'd say ignore them until you're ready.

I've never had that experience getting gas in Jersey, though (I'm from PA, so it happens occasionally).

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
If they always go right to the tank why not pull in, open tank,  turn off car and as they walk up open door and say, "Hi $40 Cash regular please" and close door?  It's apparent they don't want to stop at your window and instead of being disappointed each time, I would do something different.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
KitKat, you can move your own topic.  When you have this thread open, scroll down to the bottom and on the left hand side, there should be a 'move topic' button.

What about rolling down your window as you pull up to the pump?  Then you can shut off the car and open the tank door, while yelling out the window that you'd like $40 worth.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »
Oops!  wrong board...mod please move.

This is something that is a minor peeve and I'd like to know if anyone else thinks it is rude.

As many of you know, here in NJ we are forbidden by law to pump our own gas.  An attendant has to pump the gas for us.  Almost every single time I pull up to the pump, the attendant heads straight for the tank, usually bypassing my window.  They wait maybe 2 seconds and bark "open your tank."  Even when they attach a please their tone sounds impatient.   Before, I open the tank I need to shut my engine off (otherwise, they bark "turn off your engine") and to do that I need to first open my window so I can tell them what I want (ie $40 regular cash).  It only takes seconds.  I'm usually reaching down to open the latch when they 'bark'.  If they would stop by the window first and ask me what I need (instead of standing at an awkward angle behind my head-my tank is on the driver side) I would be ready and it would actually be good customer service.

Ya know, I'd be muttering to myself, "Give me a *expletive of your choice* second, I barely have the thing in park!" 

IMO, you have two options: like PPs have said, change the way you do things simply by ignoring the bark and just doing what you have to do, OR, complain to the manager.  "It seems as if your attendants are pushy.  I've barely put my car in park and I'm being barked at to open my tank.  I will, when I get there, I just haven't even turned off the engine yet.  Please tell them to have more patience."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.